Romantic Danube on Viking -- flight options

orchid2010

I am traveling with my 84 y/o mother on the Romantic Danube cruise with Viking at the end of October this year.  It is her first visit to Europe and her first river cruise, which has been a dream of hers for many years.  I want to make the trip as smooth as possible for her.  We have flights through Viking coming into Munich for a cruise departure from Regensburg.  The flight comes in at around 7:30 a.m., then we have the Viking transfer to the ship.  It is hard to sleep well on a plane, and I am wondering if we should fly in a day early to give her time to rest before the cruise departure.  I am told that in addition to the $100 per person fee from Viking, we would also lose the Viking transfer from the airport and would have to make our own way.  She is in good shape and ready for the trip, I am just worried about the combination of jet lag and sleep deprivation making her first day a little rough. Any good ideas would be appreciated!

jet lag sucks....Ive done 4 river cruises and regretted not coming early the last 2 of the 3 (last fall I had a connection in Munich as was able to sleep in an in terminal sleep cube...that worked out ok) next year Im going to try going over in Business class to see if I can sleep).

I didnt QUITE DO THAT schedule but I did something similar...what time is Viking giving you for the transfer?  Having flown to Munich at about 6-7am and then having to wait until 10:30 for the Ama bus to Vilshofen...I cant recommend that especially if you have her with you. (last 2 Ama transfers were closer and in a private car...much better).

Keep. in mind that Viking may still not let you in your room if you arrive too early even if you took their transfer, so you'd be wandering the ship/town for a few hours. (or at least if Ama is the only one that does this its a mark down for them its usually 2-3pm before they have the rooms ready, and in April the ship was half full the trip before and only 1/4 full with those of us coming on and we still sat on the ship from 10am to 2pm (they did feed us, and its my fault for not getting a day hotel this time) ).

@castlecritic, I don't know what time the transfer is -- I imagine we would have to wait for a little while after our flight arrives.  We don't have the airline miles to afford business class and without those points, the upgrade for the flights would cost about twice as much as everything else in the trip.  I will check with Viking on the shuttle times and see what kind of arrangements are planned.

On 6/29/2022 at 10:02 AM, orchid2010 said:

I want to make the trip as smooth as possible for her.  We have flights through Viking coming into Munich for a cruise departure from Regensburg.  The flight comes in at around 7:30 a.m., then we have the Viking transfer to the ship.  It is hard to sleep well on a plane, and I am wondering if we should fly in a day early to give her time to rest before the cruise departure.  Any good ideas would be appreciated!

If you thought it might allow restful travel and minimize jet lag, consider V air+ upgrade to prem-econ seats.  Then maybe less need for extra fee, save hotel cost, arrive with included V transfer.  In my limited experience, you may be looking around +$999-1,299 pp for uprade rd. trip - just ask. ALSO, consider add P-E for just arrival leg at around half the rd trip P-E.  GOOD LUCK

I definitely Recommend the premium economy. It’s much more legroom and a bit bigger/more reclining seats. I just can’t sleep sitting up. And all 3 airlines I’ve flown the seats have fixed sides, you aren’t going to be sleeping across a row  

and no middle seats on the window sides (they do exist in a widebody middle section). 

in my experience it’s usually about twice as much as coach/about $1500 round trips (or…that’s what it cost pre inflation). 

slightly better food and a small goody bag like business class 

19 hours ago, orchid2010 said:

I have reached out to Viking to ask about the premium economy upgrade, that sounds like it might be a good option  Thank you for the ideas.

To cover all options, consider taking Queen Mary2 or other transatlantic cruise to Europe if it fits schedule.  Good Luck

• Like 1

We did this cruise last month. We waited about 20-30 minutes from the time we met the Viking Rep in the arrivals hall until we got on the bus for the Viking transfer to the ship. Although it could be longer if another flight is late. It is a fairly long drive to Regensburg (if I remember correctly it was about 80 minutes from airport to ship). Honestly I would not give up the included transfer to fly in a day early…you would have the hassle (and expense) of getting to a hotel, waiting for a room to be available and then getting to Regensburg the next day. Once you get to the ship there will be food and a comfortable lounge to rest until your cabin is ready. 
my best tip for recovering from east bound jet lag is to stay up as long as possible on arrival day, then head for bed asap after dinner and get a good 10+ hours of sleep. Then by the next morning you feel pretty good….but I don’t schedule any big optional excursions the first full day of the cruise. 

• Like 1

Thanks for all the great ideas, everyone.  I reached out to our travel agent for help, and came to the same conclusion suggested by @mhb1757 -- we would lose the transfers if we fly in a day early, plus get charged extra for the privilege.  It is not a short trip from Munich to Regensburg. Our flights are not eligible for any upgrade aside from economy plus, and we don't need the extra legroom so it isn't worth the additional money.  Now that I know they have a comfortable lounge where we can wait, I think we will be okay with current arrangements.  Thanks so much for the thoughtful suggestions!

• Like 1

On 7/6/2022 at 9:33 AM, orchid2010 said:

Thanks for all the great ideas, everyone.  I reached out to our travel agent for help, and came to the same conclusion suggested by @mhb1757 -- we would lose the transfers if we fly in a day early, plus get charged extra for the privilege.  It is not a short trip from Munich to Regensburg. Our flights are not eligible for any upgrade aside from economy plus, and we don't need the extra legroom so it isn't worth the additional money.  Now that I know they have a comfortable lounge where we can wait, I think we will be okay with current arrangements.  Thanks so much for the thoughtful suggestions!

One more suggestion Orchid 2010. If you and/or your mom feel up to it (and weather permitting) they offer a welcome walk in Regensburg the afternoon that you board. I thought it was a delightful introduction to the town and a very gentle walk. It felt good to get some fresh air and move around a bit….kind of helped me get my second wind. And Regensburg is such a delightful town.