Black Tie Nights

True Devonian

3 minutes ago, david63 said:

Currently there are no theme nights - allegedly due to Covid protocols!

Black and white is just a euphemism for a formal night, so not a theme night per se. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Black and white is just a euphemism for a formal night, so not a theme night per se. 

I have completed several cruises with P&O and on each occasion one of the Black Tie nights has been a black and white theme. Maybe True Devonian and partner need to know if this has changed or whether or not to pack their black and white attire.

Ah, yes I have just found that, there was a link to it. What's the point of calling it something else?

Evening wear - Black tie

Our Gala Evenings, Celebration Night or Black Tie nights, offer a chance to get dressed to the nines in glamorous evening wear. Don your favourite cocktail dress, tuxedo, ball gown or dinner jacket, or alternatively a dark business suit and tie. You may also wear formal national dress or military uniform.
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, emam said:

Ah, yes I have just found that, there was a link to it. What's the point of calling it something else?

Evening wear - Black tie

Our Gala Evenings, Celebration Night or Black Tie nights, offer a chance to get dressed to the nines in glamorous evening wear. Don your favourite cocktail dress, tuxedo, ball gown or dinner jacket, or alternatively a dark business suit and tie. You may also wear formal national dress or military uniform.

There will be 4 of them on our Britannia cruise. Happy days.🤮

• Haha 4

8 hours ago, zap99 said:

Yep just back from our Britannia cruise and the last 2 formal nights were within 2 days of each other. One of them could have been dropped.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, loveheart said:

Yep just back from our Britannia cruise and the last 2 formal nights were within 2 days of each other. One of them could have been dropped.

We did drop it, and went to the Beach House in smart casual.

• Like 1

I don’t mind the formal nights - actually quite like them from time to time - but with all the other cutbacks and arguably misleading advertising, these currently come off a little like diversionary tactics! They don’t cut it in terms of making things feel special.

Edited by Camberley

25 minutes ago, Camberley said:

I don’t mind the formal nights - actually quite like them from time to time - but with all the other cutbacks and arguably misleading advertising, these currently come off a little like diversionary tactics! They don’t cut it in terms of making things feel special.

I like formal nights but not 4 of them with 2 on the last 3 nights. The fact there were no photographers around made it feel like any other night  but with smarter clothes and the food was nothing to write home about either. OK they threw a lobster tail in on one of the nights but it wasn't really noteworthy.

14 hours ago, zap99 said:

Yes, 1 celebration, 3 black tie. It brings us back to the op, there's no mention of a black and white night.

22 minutes ago, emam said:

Yes, 1 celebration, 3 black tie. It brings us back to the op, there's no mention of a black and white night.

For formal I wear a black dinner suit, white shirt and black bow tie. For black and white night I wear......ditto.........for celebration night, guess what I will wear.🤣

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, zap99 said:

For formal I wear a black dinner suit, white shirt and black bow tie. For black and white night I wear......ditto.........for celebration night, guess what I will wear.🤣

That’s the beauty of formal nights, absolutely no hassle. Never got to worry if the shirt colour clashes with trousers of if the socks are the wrong colour. And best of all…not a logo in sight! 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, zap99 said:

I appreciate gentlemen generally wear black dinner suits etc. However, as a female who enjoys dressing up for black tie nights and also having enjoyed the black and white themed formal nights on previous cruises, I just wanted to know whether they still existed to assist with packing.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Ranchi said:

That’s the beauty of formal nights, absolutely no hassle. Never got to worry if the shirt colour clashes with trousers of if the socks are the wrong colour. And best of all…not a logo in sight! 

I forgot my white dress shirts on my recent cruise, but my DW persuaded me that my black, fairly smart and slightly patterned, short sleeved shirt would look OK with a bow tie, and it did, but we avoided  2 of the black tie nights and opted for the Glass and Beach House instead.

17 hours ago, zap99 said:

There are 3 on my current Ventura cruise, and we did bring the necessary togs to comply, albeit reluctantly.  We attended the first, booked Sindhu for the second and intend to change my Beach House reservation to the third! However, I was heartened to see that many folk had applied the dress code requirements quite loosely and were not turned away 😁

• Like 1

On 6/30/2022 at 4:00 PM, terrierjohn said:

but we avoided  2 of the black tie nights and opted for the Glass and Beach House instead.

Does that mean the Glass house is not formal dress? Wanted to do formal dress for one or two but not main dining room. Sindhu and Epicurean are totally out of the equation.

I believe the Glass House on Ventura and Azura are informal despite the web site stating they are formal. On Britannia it was formal, no idea why except the Captains chat was in the atrium next door. Iona's Glass house is informal, however my go to alternative on formal night would be the Beach House and on Iona they made it the Captains Table 😠

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, emam said:

Does that mean the Glass house is not formal dress? Wanted to do formal dress for one or two but not main dining room. Sindhu and Epicurean are totally out of the equation.

The Glass house and Beach house do not demand  formal dress, but many do wear it in both, but probably less in the beach house.

• Thanks 1