New Credit Card Authorisation Amount

VMax1700

Just doing the check in for our August Rotterdam cruise and noticed that the pre authorisation has changed.  It was $60 per day per person but now it appears to be $1.

Anyone hear anything about this?   Probably because of the widespread use of Have It All.

435775169_Screenshot2022-07-01151719.jpg.ee3eb6a270d2e8e0a1a9671c293d4b55.jpg

205726600_Screenshot2022-07-01151649.thumb.jpg.f95c05618afec0cdb341a653abea6fc8.jpg

21 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

Just doing the check in for our August Rotterdam cruise and noticed that the pre authorisation has changed.  It was $60 per day per person but now it appears to be $1.

Anyone hear anything about this?   Probably because of the widespread use of Have It All.

I just checked and it was $1 as far back as September 19 last year. (I save such things as PDFs.) This was for our 7/17/22 cruise that was booked (before the HIA fare) with the HIA promo. Our cruises booked later with HIA fare also have the $1 credit card hold.

What?  Hal puts a hold on my credit card 😛.  I’ve never paid attention to it because I have a lot of room on my credit cards because I pay them off every month.  Thanks for the information.  It’s odd that this has been the case since 2019 though, because people have asked about this hold ($60) recently.  I wonder if it matters if you have it all, are a new cruiser.  Etc.

1 hour ago, VMax1700 said:

I just checked for our cruise (november next year) and I see the same text as you at the top but at the bottom it says that my credit card will be pre-authorized for $930 (31-day cruise so $30 per day per person). And I think that is because the text says: "There will be initial authorization holds of $1.00 or the actual balance. 

Capture.JPG

Edited by firsttimer1971
Corrected some typos

11 minutes ago, firsttimer1971 said:

I just checked for our cruise (november next year) and I see the same text as you at the top but at the bottom it says that my credit card will be pre-authorized for $930 (31-day cruise so $30 per day per person). And I think that is because the text says: "There will be initial authorization holds of $1.00 or the actual balance. 

Capture.JPG

I just did the same thing.  Mine says $1 but the text below shows it as the $60 X the length of my cruise.  Mine is a shorter cruise, 7 days.1024778029_creditinfo.PNG.cfe36cbaf4a6cd9b31b5f00e988b423c.PNG

Edited by Florida_gal_50
  • Like 2

I had two HAL cruises last year, July and September. both times I had at least 3 holds on my credit card for strange amounts. The would be $37.24, $73.89. I guess to make it look like charges. My credit card company does not hold them for long they usually drop off within 48 hours. Not a big deal for me but unfortunately for some it could be, especially if using a debit card tied to their checking account that they pay monthly bills from. But over all I think this is far less than what the holds use to be many years ago from HAL.

My bad!

I just cancelled that card on the checkin and did it again.  This time I did see the hold for $840 per person.  I knew it had been there in June for our Oosterdam cruise so was a bit surprised when I saw the $1.

It really is quite badly laid out.  No wonder we see those posts from cruisers who are surprised when their cards are hit for the hold.  It could be quite disconcerting to see the hold if you had only expected a $1 hold.

• Like 3