When to buy Insurance

34 minutes ago, Heymarco said:

I think you’re missing point. It would have to go wrong on multiple trips to justify cost. Losing a trip would still be cheaper than paying for travel insurance on every trip.

I guess you're missing my point...one medical emergency and there goes that justification.

On 7/1/2022 at 6:09 PM, Ashland said:

Agree...We have an annual GeoBlue policy and purchase 3rd party insurance just before we sail to cover us for other travel situations that may come into play.

What did GeoBlue not cover?   Did the 3rd party insurance also provide annual coverage, or per voyage coverage?

8 hours ago, ARandomTraveler said:

I was contemplating getting the Chase Sapphire Reserve because it's got some great travel benefits and they keep trying to get me to sign up for it, but the annual fee is like $650, which seems excessive. Is that the one you have? And if so, do you feel the benefits you're receiving are worth the yearly fee? 

Right now I'm using the Chase Southwest Visa, which has some basic travel benefits, but I get great use of the miles.

The regular Chase Sapphire Preferred is a much lower annual fee. Points can be cashed out, used as a statement credit, used to book travel through their web site, transferred to their travel partners (I do this with Southwest), and if you use the card on Amazon, use the points directly from their web site to pay for/toward your orders.

Edited by pcur
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mpk said:

What did GeoBlue not cover?   Did the 3rd party insurance also provide annual coverage, or per voyage coverage?

3rd party will cover trip interruption, lost or delayed luggage, covid quarantine expenses etc.etc. We don't need the medical coverage since our annual GeoBlue policy will cover that. We purchase 3rd party per trip.