Juneau excursion help

sander05

Recommendations please!  Ovation of the seas August 19-26.  Excursions in Juneau that I am looking at are Tracy Arm Fjord and Glacier excursion & the Mendenhall Glacier canoe paddle and trek……If you have been on these or know of them can you tell me what you loved/hated.

Thank you!

Tracey Arm Fjord is beautiful and you get a great view of the glacier but the trip down the fjord from Juneau is long. When we went the boat captain took us up against several waterfalls which was fun but we did get bored on the ride back to Juneau. Look closely at the details for timing of the trip. 

I'm in a different situation:  I've been to Juneau enough times that I need help finding a new excursion.

Mendenhall, whale watching, rent a car, gold mine tour, Mount Roberts, Glacier Gardens, Alaska Brewing Company, City & Alaska museums, helicopter, and of course buying your trusty cheap ulu knives and T-shirts at the touristy shops.  

I’ve done the Tracy Arm Excursion with Adventure Bound and the Tracy Arm Small Boat Excursion from the ship with Carnival, and would gladly do either again. 

I also did the Whale Watch & Mendenhall Glacier Combo with Juneau Whale Watch in May and would recommend it as well. They do the whale watch first and give you flexibility on how long to spend at the glacier, with buses returning every 30 minutes. Just allow at least an hour to get from the glacier to your ship for the all aboard time in case of any potential traffic or other delays.

For those who have done the Tracey Arm Excursion - how was the motion on the small boat?   We are signed up for it, but we all get sea sick on small boats.  I'm hoping that because it's in a sheltered waterway, it won't be too rocky.   

11 hours ago, kstetser said:

For those who have done the Tracey Arm Excursion - how was the motion on the small boat?   We are signed up for it, but we all get sea sick on small boats.  I'm hoping that because it's in a sheltered waterway, it won't be too rocky.   

if you are taking the small boat directly from the ship, it will likely be a 2 deck catamaran from Alien Marine, which is more stable than the smaller boat used by Adventure Bound from Juneau. The waters in Tracy Arm are generally protected and relatively smooth.

If your tour returns to the ship in Tracy Arm, there shouldn’t be much of an issue with motion. If your tour leaves from or returns to Juneau, the waters from Tracy Arm to Juneau could be a little rougher, but likely won’t be an issue either.

I would still recommend using whatever you normally take for motion sickness (Bonine works for us). Also, sitting upstairs and / or spending time outside on deck can help.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JT1962 said:

if you are taking the small boat directly from the ship, it will likely be a 2 deck catamaran from Alien Marine, which is more stable than the smaller boat used by Adventure Bound from Juneau. The waters in Tracy Arm are generally protected and relatively smooth.

If your tour returns to the ship in Tracy Arm, there shouldn’t be much of an issue with motion. If your tour leaves from or returns to Juneau, the waters from Tracy Arm to Juneau could be a little rougher, but likely won’t be an issue either.

I would still recommend using whatever you normally take for motion sickness (Bonine works for us). Also, sitting upstairs and / or spending time outside on deck can help.

Thank you.   We are taking it from the ship and return to Juneau.  We will definitely take all the motion sickness precautions!   

Just now, kstetser said:

Thank you.   We are taking it from the ship and return to Juneau.  We will definitely take all the motion sickness precautions!   

You will love the excursion. Amazing scenery, gets much closer to the glacier(s) than the ship, a totally different perspective from the water level than from the ship, usually sightings of some wildlife - seals, eagles, sometimes whales and / or bears. Dress in layers since it will be cooler on the water and when the boat is moving. Depending on when you are going, a hat and gloves can make it more comfortable out on deck.

• Like 1

I can recommend the Five Glaciers Float plane to Taku Lodge for a salmon bake. IIRC they use 10 seater Sea Otter planes with a running comentary. It's pricey but worth it for ticking off the bucket list.

BTW, the lodge is only accessable by float plane.

We could not book this excursion privately as the cruise ships book out all the planes when in port. Fortunately the cruise company price mark-up is not outrageous as on other tours.

On 7/6/2022 at 12:46 PM, Cali Viajera said:

Alaska Shore Excursions Mendenhall canoe trip. Paddle your way close to the glacier, put your hand in the 33 degree water and feel the spray of Nugget falls. Can’t beat it!

I want to do that tour, but just can't get to the $200/pp tab just to paddle a canoe. For $200 I could just buy a kayak.