Port at Dover, England

NJGRANNY

Has anyone gone out of the Port of Dover? How do you get from the airport to the port? Gatwick?

Did it last fall. We looked at all the options. Clear winner in this case the transfers from NCL. Private car very expensive, train required going to London and transferring handing all your baggage, and then a cab to the port.

Has anyone gone out of the Port of Dover? How do you get from the airport to the port? Gatwick?

We rented a car at Heathrow and drove to Dover. Hertz has a return location in Dover that is easy to find.

Dileep, please help. Looking at map I can see that road is fairly straight from London to Dover. But, my question is, how easy is it to actually drive considering we're on the "wrong" side. We are in South Florida so are very used to "defensive" driving, but this might not necessarily qualify us to drive on the wrong side of the road........

Thanks!

Susana

The biggest challenge you have is as you come out of the carhire at Heathrow, you are in one of the more complex and busy driving areas in the UK and if you do not get in the correct lanes, problems will ensue. You then go around what is laughingly called the outer london car park - or M25 - often stationery! Eventually you will escape the M25 onto the M2/A2 to Dover - a two lane road (M25 is 4 in places). So to sum up, they are busy roads, the drivers are not really very "forgiving" but at least they are all 2 lane:)

If you have never driven on our side of the road, they would not be the kinds of road I would start on

But, my question is, how easy is it to actually drive considering we're on the "wrong" side.
It's not actually too bad if you have a car that is laid out correctly for the side of the road you're driving on, which you will if you rent a car. When I drive in continental Europe, I have more trouble when driving a UK (right hand drive) car than when driving a rental (left hand drive car) on the right hand side of the road. Having the steering wheel on the correct side of the car means that your brain can more easily make the switch.

However, one other issue will be whether you can drive a manual transmission car. If not, you will have to make sure that you rent an automatic, and you may have to be careful to specify this. Although driving a manual car with the gear shift lever on the wrong side of your body is not too bad an adjustment to make, I certainly don't recommend trying to learn to drive a manual three-pedal car at the same time as driving on the other side of the road for the first time.

You then go around what is laughingly called the outer london car park - or M25 - often stationery! Eventually you will escape the M25 onto the M2/A2 to Dover - a two lane road (M25 is 4 in places).
I would have thought that the best route from Heathrow is actually M25 anticlockwise, then M26, then M20 then A20. The M2/A2 route is complex because you actually have to exit the main road near Canterbury and turn right at the roundabout to continue on the A2, despite the road technically having the same number. The M25/M26/M20/A20 has the virtue of largely being the same physical road, without having to do very much by way of exiting and junctions. Also, the M20 would probably be easier to drive on as it now goes all the way to Folkestone before becoming an A road again.

I'm also planning on renting a car at Heathrow and drive to Dover. My main concern is getting out of the car park and onto the freeway, but I did a search on Multimap which gave very clear directions - I think I'm up to it. I'm used to driving on the "wrong" side of the road so this should be least of my problems. I have 2 questions: How long should it take to Dover is we're not in a hurry? Two - three hours? How far is the Hertz office from the port? I'm travelling with my elderly parents and would like to drop them at the ship before returning the car. Can I walk back or should I take a taxi/bus?

How long should it take to Dover is we're not in a hurry? Two - three hours? How far is the Hertz office from the port? I'm travelling with my elderly parents and would like to drop them at the ship before returning the car. Can I walk back or should I take a taxi/bus?
The drive from Heathrow to Dover should only be about 1½ hours if the traffic is flowing smoothly, but obviously this will depend on whether you're feeling up to driving at normal UK motorway speeds (most cars travel at about 80 mph).

From the map, it looks like the Hertz office is less than a mile from Western Docks, which is where I believe the cruise ship terminal is. If you're OK with walking that, it would probably be an idea to drop your parents off with all your luggage, so you can just walk back on your own.

Thanks uktog and Globaliser.... I printed answer to give to hubby and bro in law.... Whilst we can all do the mechanic shift, I definitely am not convinced I could do the drive....... my vote, with your help, goes to hiring Woodford:D

Forgive me for bothering you again, but can you hop over to the Britain.... I have a question regarding the size of Dover :o

Susana

Hi

We live in Kent (Nr Rochester - 2 miles from the A2/M2) and always allow 1 hour to Dover. If we travel to Heathrow we always allow about 1 and half hours - so all in all it would be nearer 2 to 2 and half hours from Heathrow to Dover at reasonable speed. Also the M25 from Heathrow is very busy during the week although a little quieter at weekends. Parts of the A2 & M2 are up to 4 lanes wide.

Archived