World Cruise - size of the cabin

blmjcs

We are looking into a Viking World Cruise and was wondering about the size of the cabin.  We usually book a PV3 Cabin but noticed we are not in the cabin much.  If we book a DV5 we will not have as much storage which may be an issue on a world cruise, and we will be at the end of the line for excursion bookings and restaurant bookings.  What are your thoughts for those that have taken a world cruise about the space and later bookings opportunities?  Thanks a bunch!  Barbara 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blmjcs said:

We are looking into a Viking World Cruise and was wondering about the size of the cabin.  We usually book a PV3 Cabin but noticed we are not in the cabin much.  If we book a DV5 we will not have as much storage which may be an issue on a world cruise, and we will be at the end of the line for excursion bookings and restaurant bookings.  What are your thoughts for those that have taken a world cruise about the space and later bookings opportunities?  Thanks a bunch!  Barbara 

Although a specific World Cruise question, you will get more knowledgeable replies on the Viking Board, where a number of us are experienced Viking World Cruisers.

We have already completed 1 Viking WC in a DV cabin on Viking Sun and have another booked on Viking Neptune. In 4-months we never found any problem with storage, especially as the newer ships have the 3 extra drawers in the closet.

Note - as we don't drink coffee, we request the cabin steward removes the coffee machine for extra storage. We also stored cold weather gear in the cases below the bed.

• Like 1

We were on the Viking WC this year on the Star in a DV5. As the oldest ship in the fleet, there were no extra drawers in the closet, but we brought some collapsible bins to make organized use of the shelf above the rod. We also travel with collapsible hanging shelves that velcro over the closet rod. Like Andy & Judi, we asked for the coffee maker to be removed to create a little more storage space. It was a very comfortable cabin for us. We loved the Star and its wonderful crew!

The only excursion I wanted but didn't get was a trip inside the Gaudi La Sagra Familia in Barcelona. It wasn't a huge disappointment because we'd seen it in 2018 when we did the Princess WC. But we got every other excursion we wanted because we watched the website like hawks. As soon as the big excursion to Luxor was available for our cabin class, we pounced. 

You'll love a Viking WC! And for us, at least, a DV5 cabin was perfect.

• Like 4

We are booked in a PV for the 22-23 WC in Dec.  

We did a trial run with a 54 day B2B2B last winter to see both how the room worked and changes needed in how we pack.  On that cruise, both DH and I took a single 25” bag and a backpack.  The cruise went from Athens to Santiago, Chile and we had about a 50 deg temp differential.  

The PV has a lot of drawers….more than I thought.  There were 3 in the desk, 3 in the closet, 7 in the credenza and 2 (?) under the safe.  We had more space than we needed, TBH.  The big drawer in the credenza was not used (we used it to hold dirty clothes), and neither were the drawers under the safe.  However, we DO use the sofa quite a bit, especially at night when DH’s legs are driving him nuts.

We could go smaller, but at this point it is what it is.  I wonder if it is like flying business….it’s really hard to go back!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/2/2022 at 12:36 PM, John&LaLa said:

Got lucky and was able to book as a solo, the Ulta Spacious OV for the Serenade UWC. Used to be called Family Ocean View as it is designed for 6 people. Hope this is enough room for me.😉

Don't know.  But at 300 square feet you'll have more elbow room than my wife and I in our MSC aft balcony for January's embarkation for our world cruise with its 194 square feet!

• Like 1