The Return of Arcadia

Travelmadoldie

I`m aware of the history of Belfast, I`ve heard stories - Still love the place as a tourist now 

I`m glad Arcadia was able to dock in Reykjavik, I`ve heard stories that it ( like any port ) is down to the weather and whether or not the captain deems it safe or not

I would have been truly gutted to have missed Reykjavik 

Edited by cruisefan2012

8 hours ago, wowzz said:

Due to Covid outbreaks, mask wearing now compulsory in all public areas.

Apparently it’s only a few cases, would be interesting to know their interpretation of ‘a few’ as they denied it’s existence on Aurora and there were several hundred cases. 

They will never be completely open and give numbers.

a pattern seems to be forming though. First week, no masks, second week masking required.

I don’t know why they don’t just issue good quality masks to all passengers and make it compulsory from the start, as we currently are at the top of a Covid wave 

• Like 5

I assume that is why they are all using the 7 days cruises as their experiment.  Having just completed two 7 day Mediterranean fly cruises on Celebrity and Princess both of these operators provided KN92 masks in your cabin. I assume P&O are doing the same? Celebrity had no mask mandates at all but Princess had signs everywhere recommending them.  

There were no confirmed cases on Edge that I saw but the quarantine area was locked away.  There were a lot on Regal Princess as I discovered during my search for the lost suitcase.

Celebrity offer a reporting line for those returning who develop covid in the days after immediate return. It is a mute point if they actually do anything with it.

In light of the "experiment on P&O and HAL I'm surprised they do not appear to have one.

• Like 1

We had covid on Ambience on her Greenland cruise. The captain announced the number of cases part way through the cruise. We kept seeing the pink bags with food in. It was advised that masks were worn in the Palladium show lounge. Our neighbours had covid and said they were looked after well and were released after 2 negative tests, this was after 5 days confined. 

• Like 1

On 7/12/2022 at 10:20 AM, jeanlyon said:

Once flew Vera Lynn there to entertain the troops.  She was a lovely lady.  That would be about 1976 ish.

we both love and enjoy, even today the music and songs from Vera Lynn. A few years ago there was a digital recording made of Vera and the Fron male Voice Choir, singing "We'll meet again". So beautiful and I highly recommend a listen 🙂

1 hour ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I don’t know why they don’t just issue good quality masks to all passengers and make it compulsory from the start, as we currently are at the top of a Covid wave 

I completely agree. People are (probably) incubating covid when they get on board, then it spreads around. Some people own up and go into isolation, some people don't own up, and some think it's hayfever/cruise cough/ anything else the can think of in their state of denial.  Next thing speciality restaurants close, afternoon tea is cancelled and entertainment shows are whitled down because covid is rife amongst the staff (on top the recruitment issues) and passengers complain about it all and want to be compensated. So in my view cruise lines are failing in their duty of care towards their staff and to protect them they need to be enforcing mask wearing, social distancing and hand washing amongst passengers. They need to actively seek cases out  and slow down the spread on board. The pay off? More staff will remain well and then the cruise lines will be able keep more facilities open. The cost to us - mask wearing, handwashing and not sharing tables at dinner . A cost worth whie paying.

So just to say if I sound strident well I am feeling a bit annoyed because we caught covid on a cruise, ( not in a port and not beforehand) and although it was mild it ruined our holiday and I don't want anyone else going through what we did. BTW we wore masks, but they are no good if you are in a tiny minority. I know my comments aren't without flaw, it's just my opinion and of course some will agree and some won't. C'est la vie!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Cathygh said:

I completely agree. People are (probably) incubating covid when they get on board, then it spreads around. Some people own up and go into isolation, some people don't own up, and some think it's hayfever/cruise cough/ anything else the can think of in their state of denial.  Next thing speciality restaurants close, afternoon tea is cancelled and entertainment shows are whitled down because covid is rife amongst the staff (on top the recruitment issues) and passengers complain about it all and want to be compensated. So in my view cruise lines are failing in their duty of care towards their staff and to protect them they need to be enforcing mask wearing, social distancing and hand washing amongst passengers. They need to actively seek cases out  and slow down the spread on board. The pay off? More staff will remain well and then the cruise lines will be able keep more facilities open. The cost to us - mask wearing, handwashing and not sharing tables at dinner . A cost worth whie paying.

So just to say if I sound strident well I am feeling a bit annoyed because we caught covid on a cruise, ( not in a port and not beforehand) and although it was mild it ruined our holiday and I don't want anyone else going through what we did. BTW we wore masks, but they are no good if you are in a tiny minority. I know my comments aren't without flaw, it's just my opinion and of course some will agree and some won't. C'est la vie!

A lot of people pre pandemic would not wash their hands or sanitize either after using washrooms or  before entering dining venues ,and until it is enforced strongly infections will always occur, covid been one of them 😒  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Cristaltips said:

Can anyone currently on board Arcadia confirm whether Ocean Grill and Sindhu are open please? What is the food choice in the MDR like as it was very restricted. Thank you 

I'm not on the cruise, but social media say that both those restaurants are shut. 

2 hours ago, Cristaltips said:

Can anyone currently on board Arcadia confirm whether Ocean Grill and Sindhu are open please? What is the food choice in the MDR like as it was very restricted. Thank you 

I am onboard and no speciality restaurants are open.

• Thanks 3

5 hours ago, sogne said:

numerous social media posts indicate that weather  in Isafjordur was excellent so clearly  she did go there.

I'm onboard and yes we were definitely there, (from what I could see from my cabin balcony anyway ☹️}. Now we are Akureyri so I am told.

Edited by FangedRose
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, gsmt47471015 said:

A lot of people pre pandemic would not wash their hands or sanitize either after using washrooms or  before entering dining venues ,and until it is enforced strongly infections will always occur, covid been one of them 😒  

COVID is rife onboard. Room service struggling to keep up delivering to the cabins of those isolating. Goodness knows how many other cases there are of those who haven't (or refuse to) get tested.

I put my cough down to air conditioning despite keeping my balcony door slightly open.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Mollag said:

Apparently it’s only a few cases, would be interesting to know their interpretation of ‘a few’ as they denied it’s existence on Aurora and there were several hundred cases. 

I'm onboard and COVID is rife. Masks were issued last night and are supposed to be mandatory in inside public areas (except for eating and drinking). As I'm isolating I don't know how well it is being observed or enforced.

Edited by FangedRose
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, FangedRose said:

I'm onboard and yes we were definitely there, (from what I could see from my cabin balcony anyway ☹️}. Now we are Akureyri so I am told.

So glad that you are able to report and quash all the false reports and assumptions from people not on the cruise.

Facts are so much bette than speculation and believing everything posted on the Internet from untrusted sources.

Hope you are able to  enjoy the rest of your cruise

Still waiting to hear from my folks onboard as well, as apparently they are due to be in Estonia tomorrow due to a itinerary changes reported by another website (tongue in cheek) Jo-King

Happy Days!

7 minutes ago, FangedRose said:

I'm onboard and COVID is rife. Masks were issued last night and are supposed to be mandatory in inside public areas (except for eating and drinking). As I'm isolating I don't know how well it is being observed or enforced.

Thank you for update 

Facts from aboard so much better than armchair data.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PompeySailor said:

So glad that you are able to report and quash all the false reports and assumptions from people not on the cruise.

Facts are so much bette than speculation and believing everything posted on the Internet from untrusted sources.

Still waiting to hear from my folks onboard as well, as apparently they are due to be in Estonia tomorrow due to a itinerary changes reported by another website (tongue in cheek) Jo-King

Happy Days!

Unfortunately I am stuck here until Southampton ☹️

Just now, FangedRose said:

Unfortunately I am stuck here until Southampton ☹️

Being born in Portsmouth, the Southampton  part isn’t much to look forward to either 😉

Are they providing free wifi for guests that are isolating or quarantined,

From your experience in real time.

I have a pony in this race as my parents and friends are on this sailing with you.

Thanks for your updates, really appreciated.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, PompeySailor said:

Happy Days!

Maybe not such a joke. The new captain. Martin Sharples, was meant to join in Southampton but tested positive (yes really) and joined in Reykjavik. He was doing the rounds, introducing himself. He told us Quoiters that he had only been appointed two years ago, in the middle of COVID, and this was the first ship he was in charge of with paying passengers, and not to be surprised if we ended up in Barcelona 😂

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, PompeySailor said:

Being born in Portsmouth, the Southampton  part isn’t much to look forward to either 😉

Are they providing free wifi for guests that are isolating or quarantined,

From your experience in real time.

I have a pony in this race as my parents and friends are on this sailing with you.

Thanks for your updates, really appreciated.

Well, yes they are, but only if you can connect to it, and even then it is very, very slow. I've given up with trying to use it and using data whilst in port.

Edited by FangedRose