The Return of Arcadia

Travelmadoldie

3 minutes ago, FangedRose said:

Maybe not such a joke. The new captain. Martin Sharples, was meant to join in Southampton but tested positive (yes really) and joined in Reykjavik. He was doing the rounds, introducing himself. He told us Quoiters that he had only been appointed two years ago, in the middle of COVID, and this was the first ship he was in charge of with paying passengers, and not to be surprised if we ended up in Barcelona 😂

Not going to assume that the Captain infected the ship 🛳 

I would have to read that on another website first to believe it.

lets see who can twist that into a “Captain spreads Covid on cruise ship” and infects 100’s of passengers 🤣

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, PompeySailor said:

Not going to assume that the Captain infected the ship 🛳 

I would have to read that on another website first to believe it.

lets see who can twist that into a “Captain spreads Covid on cruise ship” and infects 100’s of passengers 🤣

It must have been a very fast acting variant then, because I tested positive less than 18 hours later. And through a ftp2 mask too.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FangedRose said:

It must have been a very fast acting variant then, because I tested positive less than 18 hours later. And through a ftp2 mask too.

Well I hope your symptoms are not too bad and P&O do you a solid in some shape or form.

keep well 

Thanks again for the facts 👍🏻

• Like 1

Just now, PompeySailor said:

Well I hope your symptoms are not too bad and P&O do you a solid in some shape or form.

keep well 

Thanks again for the facts 👍🏻

Thanks. I feel perfectly fine, apart from the cough, which is giving my throat some stick. In fact, if this is COVID I've had it at least twice a year for the last 65 yrs. I know everybody is not so lucky. But, if I was at home, and not working, I wouldn't have even bothered doing a test.

4 minutes ago, FangedRose said:

Hope you don't feel too ill, and make a good recovery

I heard from a pal the other day. He and his husband had been on a 7 day cruise to Norway, and sure enough, a couple of days after  they got back his husband tested positive, although he himself hasn't yet. It was their third cruise since the restart,, they had avoided infection before but it caught up with them this time.

My general thought is - from most reports, Covid appears to be quite rife on most ships. Which leads to the question - Do people think that  the cruise is worth it with such a high risk of contracting illness (yes I know people have always caught colds etc on cruise ships, but there's a much higher risk of getting covid and more risk of serious outcomes) or, will people notice what's going on and think, 'No, it's not just not worth it anymore, the risk of illness and / or isolation is just too great. 

Can't help thinking that  the current situation is not sustainable, especially as we are learning all the time about the medium and longer term outcomes of this virus.

33 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Hope you don't feel too ill, and make a good recovery

I heard from a pal the other day. He and his husband had been on a 7 day cruise to Norway, and sure enough, a couple of days after  they got back his husband tested positive, although he himself hasn't yet. It was their third cruise since the restart,, they had avoided infection before but it caught up with them this time.

My general thought is - from most reports, Covid appears to be quite rife on most ships. Which leads to the question - Do people think that  the cruise is worth it with such a high risk of contracting illness (yes I know people have always caught colds etc on cruise ships, but there's a much higher risk of getting covid and more risk of serious outcomes) or, will people notice what's going on and think, 'No, it's not just not worth it anymore, the risk of illness and / or isolation is just too great. 

Can't help thinking that  the current situation is not sustainable, especially as we are learning all the time about the medium and longer term outcomes of this virus.

As CCL have stated,  future bookings are extremely healthy (sic) so the covid situation does not seem to be deterring people at present. 

The point worth noting, is that 99.99 % of cruisers do not use Cruise Critic, and are therefore unaware of what may be happening on certain ships.

Unless there is an outbreak of such magnitude that it reaches the national media,  the vast majority of the public will continue to book.

Those of us in the "know" will make our own decisions  - we have booked two cruises for 2023 !

11 minutes ago, wowzz said:

As CCL have stated,  future bookings are extremely healthy (sic) so the covid situation does not seem to be deterring people at present. 

The point worth noting, is that 99.99 % of cruisers do not use Cruise Critic, and are therefore unaware of what may be happening on certain ships.

Unless there is an outbreak of such magnitude that it reaches the national media,  the vast majority of the public will continue to book.

Those of us in the "know" will make our own decisions  - we have booked two cruises for 2023 !

CCL would say that!  Also, cruises are booked well in advance, so people may have booked in the hope that things are going to get better. Those that aren’t on social media or CC will probably have booked, completely unaware that that Covid is rife on many ships and that onboard services are affected. However, those people have ears and eyes - when they have experienced it, will they go back, or will they think it’s just too much trouble.

I’m sure everybody will make their own decisions and not just your select group. 

Indeed, I have a cruise booked for next year - as I keep myself informed about the pandemic and the situation on the ships I would class myself as reasonably in the know - but I want to experience it for myself to find out once and for all if Cruising is right for me in the Covid era. Since the pandemic started I’ve  had other sorts of holidays that I’ve enjoyed very much, so I may end up switching away from cruising. I don’t know yet,  but will get a better idea after the cruise 

2 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

CCL would say that!

To be fair, CCL are reporting on new quarterly bookings, not on historic transactions.  People are booking regardless  of  covid.

10 minutes ago, wowzz said:

To be fair, CCL are reporting on new quarterly bookings, not on historic transactions.  People are booking regardless  of  covid.

There were certainly plenty booking future cruises on Ambience, we nearly did till we found out it was a multi generational cruise in. They were offering kids go for £1, so £1400 for 2 adults and 2 kids for 2 weeks on Hidden Nordic, albeit I wouldn't take kids on Ambience as they don't really have facilities it is a great deal, especially with flights being cancelled.

20 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Going back to my original question - is it worth going on a cruise with a high risk of becoming ill and / or being isolated? And is the current situation of high infections   sustainable going forward ? Will people eventually think the risks outweigh the benefits ? 

I have several cruises booked including 3 fly cruises. A serious think is in order before final payment date especially with flying. Hanging around in an airport for hours, jammed in a tube for hours with nobody wearing masks etc etc. Making me depressed 🥺

• Like 1

To us it’s worth it. I worked closely with the general public all through the pandemic. With this and having school age children I am likely to get COVID a second time at some point. If I do get it onboard at least I won’t have to cook dinners and still run a home like last time 😂😂😂

Us as a family have missed out on so much and so many memories to make with the children. I am so very much looking forward to our cruise on Britannia next week and I’ll just have to be careful and keep fingers crossed 🤞

• Like 2

2 hours ago, FangedRose said:

I'm onboard and COVID is rife. Masks were issued last night and are supposed to be mandatory in inside public areas (except for eating and drinking). As I'm isolating I don't know how well it is being observed or enforced.

Sorry to hear you’ve succumbed to Covid are you isolating in your own cabin or one of the quarantine cabins

3 minutes ago, Mollag said:

Sorry to hear you’ve succumbed to Covid are you isolating in your own cabin or one of the quarantine cabins

In my own as it has a balcony. I was asked if I wanted to move. But no point really. Would be worth moving from an inside or sea view.

7 minutes ago, FangedRose said:

In my own as it has a balcony. I was asked if I wanted to move. But no point really. Would be worth moving from an inside or sea view.

I was wondering if the cabins were all full or not on Aurora in March some poor souls had to stay in inside cabins for 5 days. I hope you get better care than we all did on Aurora. Take care

Edited by Mollag

25 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Define high risk 

I typed a reply, but decided not to send it, as it would be deleted as containing too much detail.

you must understand about risk after 2.5 years ? Or are you just deflecting as the question is a bit difficult.

However, I will be interested in other peoples views, as I wonder if the current situation is sustainable. A bit like the ambulances. When things are stretched too far, the system starts to crumble 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

However, I will be interested in other peoples views, as I wonder if the current situation is sustainable. A bit like the ambulances. When things are stretched too far, the system starts to crumble 

I can't see it is sustainable. Now for me the question is 'Should passengers and staff who test positive on board go into isolation?' I am inclined to think what is the point?  I certainly don't want to go into isolotion again

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wowzz said:

What I can’t understand if bookings are so healthy why are they offering a load more OBC to encourage people surely the prices would be soaring if they were as healthy as they make out

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cathygh said:

I can't see it is sustainable. Now for me the question is 'Should passengers and staff who test positive on board go into isolation?' I am inclined to think what is the point?  I certainly don't want to go into isolotion again

I wouldn’t think anybody wants to go into isolation.

But, I’m not sure how not having isolation would improve the situation.  There’d be even more infected passengers wandering around the ship, leading to even more infections amongst passengers and crew. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Going back to my original question - is it worth going on a cruise with a high risk of becoming ill and / or being isolated? And is the current situation of high infections   sustainable going forward ? Will people eventually think the risks outweigh the benefits ? 

I will risk it for my Caribbean Christmas.  Just had to cancel three others due to my family circumstances but absolutely intend to go at Christmas and on my August 2023 bookings.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I typed a reply, but decided not to send it, as it would be deleted as containing too much detail.

you must understand about risk after 2.5 years ? Or are you just deflecting as the question is a bit difficult.

We have taken three cruises since Covid restrictions have been relaxed. 

Yes, a cruise is probably "higher" risk,  but in the scale of things, no worse than sitting in an airport for four hours,  going to a crowded pub for a spot of karaoke etc.

My life, my choice.  

• Like 3