Volendam - Alaska 2023

PACD_JG

I know there are many experts in this forum, and so I thank you all in advance.  I'm recently off our first ever cruise on the Koningsdam to Alaska.  Timing for next summer has me back in the PAC NW, so the Volendam sailing dates would work out perfectly.  Questions from research: the Volendam is already quite "old", and now that it's been housing folks all summer (that can't be good for wear and tear), and it doesn't look like they plan on a drydock (or do they?), would you go on the Volendam now?  Secondly, I enjoyed the casual dress on the Koningsdam - would an Alaskan Volendam be more dressy, or would it be the same as the Koningsdam?

• Like 1

I personally would  not book a cruise on Volendam until I saw them actually complete a real cruise with real passengers.  Frankly, with the entire cruise industry hurting, I believe HAL is quite content to get money from the Netherlands to continue housing the Ukrainian refugees, instead of actually doing cruises when the rest of the fleet is sailing at significantly below capacity.  Who know how long this will continue, and whether your cruise will be cancelled.

Edited by Torquer
  • Like 1

Thanks Torquer.  Just looked at prices today and there's not any value for booking right now (comparing this 2022 prices) anyway, but just want to keep my options open.

32 minutes ago, Torquer said:

Frankly, with the entire cruise industry hurting, I believe HAL is quite content to get money from the Netherlands to continue housing the Ukrainian refugees, in

HAL will not put the Volendam into service if she was not prepared to provide her guests the best possible experience.  

The larger questions are if her service will still be needed to house refugees and what CCL's financial condition requires them to do with too much capacity.