Best food & drink on HAL

astar12

On 7/8/2022 at 8:15 AM, Dunmore2 said:

What about in the Pop Up version of Sel de Mer? Sole or lobster? From other posts, it looks like it varies from ship to ship.

What is the Pop Up version of Sel de Mer? Is that when the Special Dining shows it as a one day only event to book?  If so, should we go for it?

2 minutes ago, ColoAndy22 said:

What is the Pop Up version of Sel de Mer? Is that when the Special Dining shows it as a one day only event to book?  If so, should we go for it?

It is a once per cruise event held in the Pinnacle Grill.  I have enjoyed the selection of seafood at these pop-ups.

Go for it!

Edited by Crew News
  • Like 1

On 8/9/2022 at 1:40 PM, Crew News said:

It is a once per cruise event held in the Pinnacle Grill.  I have enjoyed the selection of seafood at these pop-ups.

Go for it!

And, amazingly to me, the pop-ups offer the same quality of cuisine and service as did the stand alone restaurant on Nieuw Statendam.  

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, SweetsugarNL said:

Which bar?

looks amazing!

That picture was from the Crow's Nest on the Westerdam (pre-Covid).  However, I have sailed last December (2021) and was able to order it in the Ocean Bar and Lido Bar.  The Lido Bar had to get one of the ingredients from another bar.  So, I would say you can probably order it ship-wide.  It just might take a little longer if they have to go to another bar for something.

3 hours ago, Euby said:

That picture was from the Crow's Nest on the Westerdam (pre-Covid).  However, I have sailed last December (2021) and was able to order it in the Ocean Bar and Lido Bar.  The Lido Bar had to get one of the ingredients from another bar.  So, I would say you can probably order it ship-wide.  It just might take a little longer if they have to go to another bar for something.

Thank you so much!

My husband loves the bread pudding from the buffet and we both really enjoy the salads in the Lido (you get to pick what you want in your large salad bowl).  Great choices and we ended up losing weight by eating from that salad bar on many days.

We are looking forward to it on the Rotterdam in November.

• Like 3

St Germain Spritz. My absolute favorite warm weather pool side cocktail.

1 1/2 OZ ST‑GERMAIN (elderflower liqueur)

2 OZ PROSECCO

2 OZ SODA WATER

LEMON TWIST

All over ice in a Collins glass. 

Nothing more refreshing. 

Edited by fatcat04
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

I must try these.  Every time I go to Rudi's, the Dover Sole keeps calling my name.  

The grilled lobster at the Half Moon Cay beach Lobster Shack is awesome.  When we went there, the Pinnacle Grill chef was the person grilling the lobsters.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, AFNavigator said:

The grilled lobster at the Half Moon Cay beach Lobster Shack is awesome.  When we went there, the Pinnacle Grill chef was the person grilling the lobsters.

I totally agree.  The grilled lobster was incredible BUT the seafood chowder portion of the combo had the consistency of instant mashed potatoes, (nary a lump of potato), little seafood flavor, but nice crackers. 

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/half-moon-cay/IMG_0289-Edit.jpg

Half Moon Cay Lobster Shack Menu  Must be ordered while onboard so they know how many lobsters to bring from the ship.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Crew News said:

I totally agree.  The grilled lobster was incredible BUT the seafood chowder portion of the combo had the consistency of instant mashed potatoes, (nary a lump of potato), little seafood flavor, but nice crackers. 

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/half-moon-cay/IMG_0289-Edit.jpg

Half Moon Cay Lobster Shack Menu  Must be ordered while onboard so they know how many lobsters to bring from the ship.

We were forewarned by a previous review to avoid the "chowder".  They said essentially the same as you...watery mashed potato consistency with little seafood flavor.

Regarding the lobster needing to be pre-ordered, we didn't...just walked up and ordered.  The chef rode back on the same tender as us and he had a tub with probably 20-30 lobster tails on ice.

21 hours ago, Crew News said:

I have not seen this menu before.  Thank you for posting it.  Personally, a Lobster dinner during a "beach day" just doesn't seem quite "right".  Lobster Roll?  OK.  I have had that at MSC's Ocean House on Ocean Cay and it was "just right".  

4 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I have not seen this menu before.  Thank you for posting it.  Personally, a Lobster dinner during a "beach day" just doesn't seem quite "right".  Lobster Roll?  OK.  I have had that at MSC's Ocean House on Ocean Cay and it was "just right".  

Wife had the grilled lobster there, I had the lobster roll.  No comparison...the lobster was outstanding, the lobster roll wasn't very good.  It had far too much mayo--or whatever the filler was--and far too little lobster.  As I recall, it was a large roll but with a relatively small amount of filling so it was pretty dry too.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, AFNavigator said:

Wife had the grilled lobster there, I had the lobster roll.  No comparison...the lobster was outstanding, the lobster roll wasn't very good.  It had far too much mayo--or whatever the filler was--and far too little lobster.  As I recall, it was a large roll but with a relatively small amount of filling so it was pretty dry too.

Thanks for your review of the lobster roll. I will add the lobster roll that you reviewed to the seafood chowder that I previously reviewed and avoid both.

On 7/5/2022 at 4:11 PM, cruisetravlr said:

Had wienerschnitzel on the Eurodam in the MDR.  It was delicious but enough for two!  Also, Lido fresh-made crepes with Nutella and powdered sugar for breakfast, or the strawberry-filled crepes with sour cream.  Not big on drinks, but I do enjoy a nice glass or two or three of ice water anytime of day.

Here's another vote for the wienerschnitzel - had it on Noordam in MDR, absolutely delicious!

• Like 1

When in the Lido, watch what the crew eats.  I found several delicious dishes that I wouldn’t have tried if I wasn’t standing in line next to them.

I like being able to select my own salad ingredients at the Wild Harvest station and find the food at the Distant Lands Asia station particularly good too.

• Like 3

Boy. You guys have brought back many memories of the great HAL food. Thanks for that.

Rotterdam, 12/01/21 favorites of mine:

Pina Colada at Tamarind

Filet Steak at Pinnacle Grill

Salads at Lido

Steak Tartare appetizer (times two) at Rudi's

My wife had lobster at Rudi's that was awesome.

Warm chocolate chip cookie at Grand Dutch Cafe (very large!).

Every meal in the MDR!

Jim

• Like 1