Additional Travel Protection fee ($51) for airport transfer ($27) - doesn't seem right

sacteach

I'm booked on the Bliss out of Seattle on July 23rd. Yesterday I completed my check in and included my flight information. I arrive on Friday, so it stated that ground transportation wasn't available which is fine because my friend is picking me up. When I put in my departure info, it offered a transfer to the airport for $27, so I accepted and paid as that price seemed reasonable.

Last night I noticed that we now had a balance due of $51. After checking over everything, I noticed that my travel protection went from $209 to $260 (increase of $51). When I used the chat today, I was initially told to call the excursion office to discuss the fee, but when I reiterated that it was an increase in my travel protection, the agent said that the $51 was because I added the transfer. I would have never signed up for a $78 airport transfer and I know that the $51 fee was not disclosed. Looking at it now, I can see that under add-ons it says that there "may" be an increase in the travel protection, but nothing indicating the amount or which add-ons will trigger the increase. So my 7-day cruise is $209, but a 25-minute airport shuttle is $51 which makes me question how safe it is if they charge 25% of the cruise fee...

The agent offered to remove the transfer which brought my travel protection back down to $209. After doing that, she said "Your $27 is not refundable" since it's past the final payment deadline. 

So, it looks like I paid $27 for nothing and now need to find transportation to the airport. 

Has anyone else had this experience? Was there anyway I should have seen that it was really going to cost me $78 (not $27)? I am 99.9% positive it didn't say there would be an additional $51 fee, but there is a slight chance I overlooked that. Any chance of getting the $27 refunded? I don't even remember that being an option back in March when final payment was due. 

In the grand scheme of things, $27 is not much, but it definitely rubbed me the wrong way today in the chat. 

3 hours ago, SeaShark said:

The obvious solution would be to simply purchase the airport transportation once onboard the ship.

Yes, I would agree.   Should be able to purchase the airport transfer onboard.  I can't imagine that they ever say the airport transfer is 'sold-out'🤔  

Edited by Sand and Seas

Passenger & Baggage Protection Policy | Coverage, Travel Arrangements & Medical Protection | Norwegian Cruise Line (ncl.com)

For a cruise fare between $2,001 and $2,500 standard insurance cost is $209.

For a cruise fare between $2,501 and $3,000 standard insurance cost is $260.

So, your cruise fare must have been just under the $2,500 limit.  It doesn't seem right to increase that much for a transfer.  Do they do the same when you book any other 'excursion'?

13 hours ago, Old Fart Cruisers said:

Passenger & Baggage Protection Policy | Coverage, Travel Arrangements & Medical Protection | Norwegian Cruise Line (ncl.com)

For a cruise fare between $2,001 and $2,500 standard insurance cost is $209.

For a cruise fare between $2,501 and $3,000 standard insurance cost is $260.

So, your cruise fare must have been just under the $2,500 limit.  It doesn't seem right to increase that much for a transfer.  Do they do the same when you book any other 'excursion'?

It looks like that is what happened. The cruise far was $2498, so that $27 bumped it up. That makes much more sense, but no one was able to communicate that to me. I appreciate the info.

I called last night and because I called within 24 hours, they refunded the $27. I'll just book my own transportation to the airport 🙂 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, sacteach said:

It looks like that is what happened. The cruise far was $2498, so that $27 bumped it up. That makes much more sense, but no one was able to communicate that to me. I appreciate the info.

I called last night and because I called within 24 hours, they refunded the $27. I'll just book my own transportation to the airport 🙂 

Happy to hear you were able to get your $27 back.   I also would of not been happy with the insurance price increase.

10 hours ago, sacteach said:

You should be able to purchase the airport transfer on board.  

The Alaska Bliss Dailies for 6/25 cruise were just posted.  They mention you can go to guest services by Thursday and arrange the airport transfer.  I would suggest you also check to see if your airline participates in PortValet.  You can sign up for that at guest services early in the cruise.

Have a great cruise😊

• Like 1