Help with Baltics accessibility please

Hi, I have not been able to find any information about accessibility in the Baltic ports.  Copenhagen, Oslo, Helsinki, Talinn, Visby and Skagen.  I will be using a scooter for the first time so would like to find out if I can use it for independant disembarkation, HOHO buses etc.  Would I need a folding type or would a normal scooter be OK?  

Also I have contacted my travel agent and MSC directly and noone is able to confirm that a scooter can be used in any cabin (not specifically an accessible cabin).  It does state on the MSC website that it is OK if it will fit through the door but just wondering if anyone has direct experience.

Thanks in advance

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/7/2022 at 12:04 PM, BJCurwood said:

Hi, I have not been able to find any information about accessibility in the Baltic ports.  Copenhagen, Oslo, Helsinki, Talinn, Visby and Skagen.  I will be using a scooter for the first time so would like to find out if I can use it for independant disembarkation, HOHO buses etc.  Would I need a folding type or would a normal scooter be OK?  

Also I have contacted my travel agent and MSC directly and noone is able to confirm that a scooter can be used in any cabin (not specifically an accessible cabin).  It does state on the MSC website that it is OK if it will fit through the door but just wondering if anyone has direct experience.

Thanks in advance

I have been to all those ports and some more than once. I have taken both scooter and manual wheelchair. They are all doable and some better than others. The most challenging is Tallin, with loads of cobblestones. I suggest you do some research as to what you want to see.

in some of the places we’ve used public transport and in others HOHO buses.

Look on VisitNorway, VisitDenmark, WhatsinPort,Tripadvisor and Google.

in Skagen there is a free shuttle bus to the town, in Copenhagen there’s a local bus which costs £1.30. In Visby we were on Cunard and they provided free shuttle and also in Helsinki.

in Oslo ships dock in town, but we used a local bus which is free for disabled.

On 7/7/2022 at 12:04 PM, BJCurwood said:

Thanks in advance

In answer to your queries from my experience of caring for my disabled husband I found Baltic ports fairly accessible. It needs to be a folding scooter to go into luggage compartment of coach. From cruising different cruise lines they always stipulate require to book accessible stateroom to accommodate the equipment  as not allowed to leave on corridor. Their doorways are 33” as opposed to standard 22’.

enjoy the cruise. 

• 1 month later...

I e taken both wheelchair and scooter in accessible and non accessible cabins and have been to all those ports and some more than once.

Tallin is the most inaccessible of those ports. There are loads of cobbles and it’s hilly. Although I think there is a HOHO.

All the others are doable. Look on WhatsinPort, Tripadvisor, tourist board websites and Google. There’s loads of information if you look for it.