NCL ships completely running out of types of alcohol

JGmf

I'm rebranding the thread featured below (with the non-specific title that may not get the proper attention it deserves), to better alert, collect, and share information on all NCL ships, asking if entire categories of alcohol (vodka, tequila, etc.) are out of stock and largely not available on your ships. 

Yeah, if specific, select brand(s) are missing, fine....welcome to the new world we live in....but if there's no vodka (at all, regardless of the brand), then that's a real problem.  If that's the case for my upcoming cruises, it may force may hand to change plans.  Thanks for the information.

7 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

On my last cruise, they ran out of dark ale.  Guinness was the only option and at day five I couldn't get any more (I may have drank it all).

So you're the guy that drank them dry before I boarded.

• Haha 5

Thanks.  If you all could specify ship and month, that would be helpful for us.....

...plus then we can audit the trends, tease-out the supply chain snags, then send the helpful advice to the (seemingly stumped and paralyzed) NCL provision managers.

• Haha 5

4 minutes ago, JGmf said:

Thanks.  If you all could specify ship and month, that would be helpful for us.....

...plus then we can audit the trends, tease-out the supply chain snags, then send the helpful advice to the (seemingly stumped and paralyzed) NCL provision managers.

Pretty sure the NCLH supply systems are well aware of what they have in stock and what is short in the inventory.

• Like 2

Just now, JGmf said:

To be fair...The provision managers are doing their best. It isn't always them dropping the ball...Their suppliers, also have their own suppliers, and so on and on. A brand of bourbon for instance might have supply issues because the cork supplier didn't get enough corks made, or the bottles, labels, bourbon itself, etc...

Don't make the provisions managers job harder by trying to give them assistance. I guarantee you they already know the bottlenecks and where the causes of the shortages are coming from. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

a few weeks ago i was on a different cruise line. they have a coffee shop area that does milkshakes. A few days during the cruise, they had no ice cream for the milkshakes

it supplies like this supplies issues is effecting everything

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, CTCruiser001 said:

Don't make the provisions managers job harder by trying to give them assistance.

25 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

Pretty sure the NCLH supply systems are well aware of what they have in stock and what is short in the inventory.

Wow, you folks are rather jumpy. Satire anyone? What I said as in jest. We couldn't possibly know any more than the provision managers. 

That said, having an entire ship out of vodka -- as reported by other posters -- is ridiculous and flat-out unacceptable for a vacation cruise ship.  Hire someone to go to Costco and buy out the place if that's what it takes.  Sheesh!

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JGmf said:

.but if there's no vodka (at all, regardless of the brand), then that's a real problem.  If that's the case for my upcoming cruises, it may force may hand to change plans

are you seriously considering canceling a cruise because the ship may not have vodka? wow, i knew people enjoy drinking, but didn't know they based a cruise decision solely on the booze.

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, shof515 said:

a few weeks ago i was on a different cruise line. they have a coffee shop area that does milkshakes. A few days during the cruise, they had no ice cream for the milkshakes.

Just pretend you're in a McDonald's and you won't be disappointed with no milkshakes.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

13 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

are you seriously considering canceling a cruise because the ship may not have vodka? wow, i knew people enjoy drinking, but didn't know they based a cruise decision solely on the booze.

Don't tell me how to live my life!!

😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, JGmf said:

That said, having an entire ship out of vodka -- as reported by other posters -- is ridiculous and flat-out unacceptable for a vacation cruise ship.  Hire someone to go to Costco and buy out the place if that's what it takes.  Sheesh!

Almost all states require that alcohol come from an alcohol distributor,  not a retailer..it’s called the 3 Tier System. 

The three-tier system of alcohol distribution is the system for distributing alcoholic beverages set up in the United Statesafter the repeal of Prohibition.[1] The three tiers are importers or producers; distributors; and retailers. The basic structure of the system is that producers can sell their products only to wholesale distributors who then sell to retailers, and only retailers may sell to consumers. Producers include brewers, wine makers, distillers and importers. The three-tier system is intended to prohibit tied houses and prevent "disorderly marketing conditions."[2]

Some states chose to become alcoholic beverage control jurisdictions after Prohibition. In these states, part or all of the distribution tier, and sometimes also the retailing tier, are operated by the state government itself (or by contractors operating under its authority) rather than by independent private entities.

The only state with a privately operated retailing and distribution system that does not require any form of three-tier system is the State of Washington. In Washington, retailers may purchase alcoholic beverages directly from producers, may negotiate volume discounts, and may warehouse their inventory themselves. However, the three-tier system largely remains in fact a reality in Washington despite the lack of a law requiring it.[3]

Edited by PTC DAWG

You learn something new every day!  Had no idea about the 3 tier system.  (God forbid anything should be simple.)  I can recall being in a restaurant a time or two and they could not make a dish on their menu because they lacked a readily available ingredient.  Meanwhile there is a supermarket on the same block.  Wouldn't you think they would send an employee down the street to buy it ???  At least a ship at sea has a somewhat better excuse, lol.

Edited by Travelling2Some
  • Like 3

You would think that a company as large and with the purchasing power that NCL enjoys, they should be able to claim priority with any supplier to ensure that they are fully stocked on alcohol.  If any given supplier/vendor drops the ball, then reach out to another vendor and if it means departing an hour late to ensure the ship has alcohol, I think most guests wouldn't mind.

All I can say is that my local grocery stores have NEVER run out of Vodka, Whiskey, or Tequila and they certainly have never run out of beer.  So if my local Vons/Albertsons, Ralphs (Kroger) or Stater Brothers (local chain) can remain fully stocked, you would think that NCL could keep their ships fully stocked.   

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, jkbec101 said:

You would think that a company as large and with the purchasing power that NCL enjoys, they should be able to claim priority with any supplier to ensure that they are fully stocked on alcohol.  If any given supplier/vendor drops the ball, then reach out to another vendor and if it means departing an hour late to ensure the ship has alcohol, I think most guests wouldn't mind.

All I can say is that my local grocery stores have NEVER run out of Vodka, Whiskey, or Tequila and they certainly have never run out of beer.  So if my local Vons/Albertsons, Ralphs (Kroger) or Stater Brothers (local chain) can remain fully stocked, you would think that NCL could keep their ships fully stocked.   

I agree with all of that…I guess cruise lines not buying anything for over a year put them behind the 8 ball so to speak. 

I have been on Royal and Celebrity recently, some supply issues on BOURBON but no cases of running out of everything in a category…

I also enjoy NCL, I hope they get this fixed by next April. I believe they will. 

I've been on Royal, and some bars didn't have specific brands, but that was about it. You stayed at one bar and drank whatever they had, or you went to another bar and got what you wanted. We were also on MSC and had no problems at all. Brands were available everywhere.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WordyP said:

Supply issue or is it cash flow issue?

That crossed my mind but I think that something that serious would be reflected on financials.   I'm inclined to chalk it up to supply chain.

Booze should be one of the first things they'd spend on because a shortage is going to leave a bad impression for people.  People won't be posting irate messages because Ocean Blue is out of sea bass 🙂

It would also be counterproductive because if word got out that the ships are chronically short of, say, Champagne, people would be less inclined to upgrade to Premium Plus.  I've gotta think that package is a high margin sale.  As it is, I'm reserving judgement on whether to purchase P+ until I'm on the ship...and based on what posters here are saying in the week or two before my cruise.

Edited by phillygwm
  • Like 1