chocolate decadence

vicky3vicky

I do love my chocolate melting cake and a few other current desserts, but my all-time favorite was the Chocolate Decadence. I bought the 1996 "Carnival creations" cookbook that year [1996] just for the recipe. I am constantly losing the book, finding it, making the decadence, feeling like I have died and gone to heaven, and then I lose the book again [usually loaned out] for another year or two.

It starts with a thin layer of chocolate sponge cake, topped with a rum-infused chocolate mousse, covered with a chocolate ganache and drizzled with strawberry sauce[actually the strawberry sauce is on the plate under it all]

This is BY FAR my favorite dessert, not only on a cruise ship but anywhere.

Does anyone else remember this dessert and if so, do you agree that it leaves every other dessert in the dust?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, vicky3vicky said:

I keep reading about the funfetti cheesecake and the creme brulee. I'l have to try them on my cruise in November. I keep promising husband I'll try new things. These 2 are at top of list

The crème brûlée is usually on the first elegant night. I remember once, pre-Covid, a table in the MDR got it on another night; waiter said they had requested it in advance and the chef made it for them. 

18 hours ago, vicky3vicky said:

I keep reading about the funfetti cheesecake and the creme brulee. I'l have to try them on my cruise in November. I keep promising husband I'll try new things. These 2 are at top of list

Second vote in Funfetti cheesecake. I too love creme brulee- ask for a hard top one, last cruise they brought melted mush- worst ever. 

In case you didn’t know, the tropical fruit plate ( fresh fruit) (or cheese I assume but never tried) can be ordered as an appetizer. Also in past mains can be an appetizer, and  appetizers a main meal (as many as like.) 

I highly recommend the brunch at sea, the steak & eggs worth it. Best meal we really enjoy. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Buffettfan 225 said:

Second vote in Funfetti cheesecake. I too love creme brulee- ask for a hard top one, last cruise they brought melted mush- worst ever. 

In case you didn’t know, the tropical fruit plate ( fresh fruit) (or cheese I assume but never tried) can be ordered as an appetizer. Also in past mains can be an appetizer, and  appetizers a main meal (as many as like.) 

I highly recommend the brunch at sea, the steak & eggs worth it. Best meal we really enjoy. 

The steak and eggs use to be good.  Now it is chewy piece of beef and eggs...and not so good.  The filet is gone.  The now call it some hybrid name to make it sound good.   But that is okay as they have a "Salmon Super Food Salad" which is fantastic, as is the avocado toast.

3 hours ago, Badfinger said:

The steak and eggs use to be good.  Now it is chewy piece of beef and eggs...and not so good.  The filet is gone.  

It varies by ship. We had the delicious filet with our eggs on Radiance in June and Miracle over the 4th of July.  But I agree, I have heard that is not the case on all ships. I've heard the inconsistency explained as a supply chain issue.