Passport expiry question

Ottawamomof2

Hi! I searched and found a lot of different answers, hoping for some clarity by posting a new question!

We live in Ottawa, drive July 26th to NYC. Stay for 3 days and then board the Oasis OTS on July 29th for 7 days. My passport expires November 28, 2022....a few months short of the 6 month requirement. Is this going to be an issue? I read so many differing opinions and I am freaking out as the time to get a new one is really tight! Anyone know for sure?

From the Royal Caribbean FAQ, https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/international-ports-travel-considerations. The bolding is mine.

"What should I consider when booking a cruise visiting international ports?

Given the events over the last few years, having the proper travel documents has been a considerable concern of many guests prior to enjoying a carefree vacation. Passport, visa and inoculation regulations may vary by destination and may change from time to time. For your protection, your passport expiration date needs to be at least six (6) months after the sailing termination date. It is the sole responsibility of the guest to obtain and have available when necessary the appropriate valid travel and health documents such as passports, visas, vaccination certificates, etc., that are necessary for air travel, disembarkation at the various ports of call and re-entry into the appropriate country of origin."

The Oasis OTS shows no sailing on July 29. After cruises to the Bahamas on July 15 and July 22, it skips to August 14. Hopefully just a website glitch. In any event, assuming that you will be visiting the Bahamas, your Canadian passport must be valid for at least 6 months beyond the date you expect to leave. Consequently, even if RCI's didn't require the extended period of validity, the Bahamian government does.

You will need to renew asap. As I indicated in another thread, some of the smaller communities in the Ottawa area have no lineups at their Service Canada locations. You would be best trying some of these.

2 hours ago, Fouremco said:

The Oasis OTS shows no sailing on July 29. After cruises to the Bahamas on July 15 and July 22, it skips to August 14. Hopefully just a website glitch. In any event, assuming that you will be visiting the Bahamas, your Canadian passport must be valid for at least 6 months beyond the date you expect to leave. Consequently, even if RCI's didn't require the extended period of validity, the Bahamian government does.

You will need to renew asap. As I indicated in another thread, some of the smaller communities in the Ottawa area have no lineups at their Service Canada locations. You would be best trying some of these.

LOL definitely a glitch!

Would prefer to get off in the Bahamas so i will go to renew next week...urgent service will let me get it the next day!

4 minutes ago, Ottawamomof2 said:

LOL definitely a glitch!

Would prefer to get off in the Bahamas so i will go to renew next week...urgent service will let me get it the next day!

Even if you decided to stay on the ship and not go ashore in the Bahamas, you would still need to have a passport meeting the Bahamian entry requirements. You and all other passengers and crew are deemed to have entered the country, even if you remain aboard.

4 hours ago, Ottawamomof2 said:

Hi! I searched and found a lot of different answers, hoping for some clarity by posting a new question!

We live in Ottawa, drive July 26th to NYC. Stay for 3 days and then board the Oasis OTS on July 29th for 7 days. My passport expires November 28, 2022....a few months short of the 6 month requirement. Is this going to be an issue? I read so many differing opinions and I am freaking out as the time to get a new one is really tight! Anyone know for sure?

From the Bahamas website:

Canadian Citizens
Canadian visitors only require a visa if stays exceed more than eight (8) months. The individual, however, must have the following documents:

• A Canadian passport, with an expiry date that is NOT less than 3 months, after leaving The Bahamas (for direct travel) and NOT less than 6 months (if transiting through other countries such as the U.S.)

Taken from this site:

https://www.bahamas.com/plan-your-trip/island-faq/visa-immigration

50 minutes ago, CaptainBazz said:

From the Bahamas website:

Canadian Citizens
Canadian visitors only require a visa if stays exceed more than eight (8) months. The individual, however, must have the following documents:

• A Canadian passport, with an expiry date that is NOT less than 3 months, after leaving The Bahamas (for direct travel) and NOT less than 6 months (if transiting through other countries such as the U.S.)

Taken from this site:

https://www.bahamas.com/plan-your-trip/island-faq/visa-immigration

I think that the key here is that the OP is in fact transiting through the US to board the cruise to the Bahamas. Consequently, the passport expiry date must be "NOT less than 6 months" after leaving the Bahamas.

It's interesting that the GOC's travel website does not mention the passport 3-month expiry date for Canadians travelling directly to the Bahamas without transiting another country:

Regular Canadian passport

Your passport must be valid for at least 6 months beyond the date you expect to leave The Bahamas.

https://travel.gc.ca/destinations/bahamas