Why do people carry on Luggage

ThaNectar

Could be a trust issue or people don't want to tip the porters 1 freakin dollar per bag, I will not start my cruise with a sprain back, use the porters and spend the extra dollar per bag, probably will save your back or some injury, remember most of the Elevators are busy and I can't stand having to jump over people's luggage over on Lido.

Fred

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Wennfred said:

Could be a trust issue or people don't want to tip the porters 1 freakin dollar per bag, I will not start my cruise with a sprain back, use the porters and spend the extra dollar per bag, probably will save your back or some injury, remember most of the Elevators are busy and I can't stand having to jump over people's luggage over on Lido.

Fred

It's not about the dollar. It's about the lost luggage. 

Read the fine print. Anything happens, it's not CCL's responsibility. 

Safe travels

• Like 3

3 hours ago, MomtherOfDragons said:

Everything I’ve seen says to check your booze luggage because they have so many bags to go thru and are more likely to miss it… Let's pretend you are sneaking booze in a carry on.. What would be the best way to hide it? Not that I or any of my fellow cruisers would ever consider to do something so very bad… But, for research purposes….

There are a couple ways to do it. You can put the rum runner at bottom of your back pack and stuff cloths on top of it. Just don't fill it up 100% so that there is some give. Even if they do find it on your carry on while going through the x ray, they don't want to dig into the very bottom of your bag to pull it out, esp when the line gets long and busy with carry ons.

You can strap the rum runner onto you and just walk through the metal detector. 

Some people put it in the baby stroller or wheelchair. 

Another way to do is it to go buy a 12 pack of coke. take most it out and fill it with beer. only the part that has an opening is where you would put the coke in. Crazy glue the box up. You now have a 10 pack of beer. Do that per person and you have a party going on. 

If you get caught, you can just put it in the car if you drove to the port. You gave it to old college try amirte?

On 8/4/2022 at 9:52 AM, wemjam said:

All I can say to all you smugglers is  -  Why ya'll???  Know I am likely to get slammed for this, but got to say it and don't care.

I know drinks can be expensive on the ship, but really.  Either save a few bucks before you cruise and step up... or maybe drink a little less?  

Always got to be those that have to break the rules 🙄

1. It's harmless fun. Reminds me of college when I did it out of necessity

2. Some of my guests can't afford it. Literally one of my guests couldn't afford a $200 charge on their credit card but were cruising with me. Not everyone is privileged 

3. Some ppl have done it bc they want something better than what's served in the bar and they have to have their exotic liquor for some special occasion. 

Not slamming you btw. To ea their own. I don't drink much either. The free Champaign on the artwork show is enough for me. I want to eat my calories. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Wennfred said:

Fred

Also, if your luggage gets pulled aside and you have to get retrieve it from the naughty line, then at the very least that is 30 min of your life that you lose bc you had to go to the location, stand in line, open it up to show them the item in question, and then walk back to your room. If you do it on the first night, which would make the most sense since you need your cloths, then there can be a long wait. 

To me, since I am able to physically carry it for now since I am in my early 30s, I will do so. It just cuts down on a lot of trouble for me. It's inconvenient holding onto the luggauge at first, but it's a bigger headache when you get concerned if someone stole your luggage, lost your luggage, damage your luggage, or have to go retrieve it from the naughty line. For me personally, it's a decision i made long ago when I was a kid and had my luggage pulled aside for something stupid. I carried my luggage since and haven't looked back. 

To ea their own. Everyone enjoys their vacations differently. But it's nice to have options. 

2 minutes ago, DrSea said:

Also, if your luggage gets pulled aside and you have to get retrieve it from the naughty line, then at the very least that is 30 min of your life that you lose bc you had to go to the location, stand in line, open it up to show them the item in question, and then walk back to your room. If you do it on the first night, which would make the most sense since you need your cloths, then there can be a long wait. 

To me, since I am able to physically carry it for now since I am in my early 30s, I will do so. It just cuts down on a lot of trouble for me. It's inconvenient holding onto the luggauge at first, but it's a bigger headache when you get concerned if someone stole your luggage, lost your luggage, damage your luggage, or have to go retrieve it from the naughty line. For me personally, it's a decision i made long ago when I was a kid and had my luggage pulled aside for something stupid. I carried my luggage since and haven't looked back. 

To ea their own. Everyone enjoys their vacations differently. But it's nice to have options. 

35 Cruises to date, never had any issues with lost luggage and I fly cross country, I'm 58 and can carry on my own luggage as they only weigh 48 Lbs each.  If and when I hit my 50th cruise, I will post here with any lost luggage issues.

Fred

• Like 1

Just now, Wennfred said:

35 Cruises to date, never had any issues with lost luggage and I fly cross country, I'm 58 and can carry on my own luggage as they only weigh 48 Lbs each.  If and when I hit my 50th cruise, I will post here with any lost luggage issues.

Fred

~25 cruises. I have had broken luggage, such as the wheel or the plastic lining inside the suitcase. Things get crushed and tossed around. Liquid containers like sun block explode. 

I have had lost luggage with flying. It was a huge suitcase, and we lost hundreds of dollars worth of clothing. And I didn't have travel insurance (I was a kid at that time so cut me some slack). 

Just bc it didn't happen last time doesn't mean that it won't happen the next time. 

Happy cruising. 

6 minutes ago, DrSea said:

~25 cruises. I have had broken luggage, such as the wheel or the plastic lining inside the suitcase. Things get crushed and tossed around. Liquid containers like sun block explode. 

I have had lost luggage with flying. It was a huge suitcase, and we lost hundreds of dollars worth of clothing. And I didn't have travel insurance (I was a kid at that time so cut me some slack). 

Just bc it didn't happen last time doesn't mean that it won't happen the next time. 

Happy cruising. 

Believe me it can happen, I'm just stating my luggage stats LOL... I fly out tomorrow morning to Seattle so I hope you didn't Jinxed the hell out of me  LOL 

No Lost, Broken, Missing Luggage is going to mess up my trips, just get to where you need to go, buy new stuff and submit a claim later.

Have a good day.

Fred

Edited by Wennfred
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Wennfred said:

Believe me it can happen, I'm just stating my luggage stats LOL... I fly out tomorrow morning to Seattle so I hope you didn't Jinxed the hell out of me  LOL 

No Lost, Broken, Missing Luggage is going to mess up my trips, just get to where you need to go, buy new stuff and submit a claim later.

Have a good day.

Fred

For me, the whole process of calling, being put on hold, talking to multiple people to file a claim, and then waiting for them to bring your suitcase home to you if they do find it is a big headache and a waste of a lot of time for me, esp since it has to happen during clinic hours. All of that could have been avoided had I just carried on my stuff.

But again to ea their own. 

This one time, this guy showed up to jeans in an interview for med school bc the airline lost his luggage. He was stressed. IDK if he got in. 

Safe travels.

P.S. Jinx. 😁

• Haha 2

On 7/12/2022 at 11:05 AM, ThaNectar said:

Trying to figure out why people carry on all of their luggage... Personally, I carry on a backpack with meds/passports/paperwork/ etc.. 

But I am trying to figure out why people want to tote all that luggage around for a few hours.

It's so easy to just give your luggage to the porter and then have it delivered right to your cabin. 

Maybe I'm missing something 

Funny because I have always wondered the exact opposite.

Why on earth would you pay money for something you can easily do for free? It is SO EASY taking my carryon on and off the ship, and I always have everything I need with me that first day. I honestly can’t fathom why any able-bodied person would use a porter. 

All I can say to all you smugglers is  -  Why ya'll???  Know I am likely to get slammed for this, but got to say it and don't care.

I know drinks can be expensive on the ship, but really.  Either save a few bucks before you cruise and step up... or maybe drink a little less?  

Saying it can be expensive is a huge understatement. I confess, I've smuggled booze on the last 2 dozen cruises or so. On my last cruise, a $25 bottle of Jack was $95 from Carnival...that's just plain absurd...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 2wheelin said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Lower the price. HAHAHAHHA

Even if they made it more affordable, they would still make money.  I would be willing to bet that most who buy it never get the max value from it unless they want to stumble around all day, lol.   Or, they could make it available on a daily basis so you could buy it for the days you want it (they love those sea days where it cuts down on the amount of time to use the program).

We tried the dining program at Disneyworld once and you REALLY had to work hard to break even, much less come out ahead.  We even did a bottomless soda thing at Six Flags and didn't even come close to breaking even.  

For me it wasn't so much about the money. It's about convenience.

I want drinks in my room. I have 2 small kids. 

So wife and I want our tequila shots and mixed drinks without having to run to a bar.

And with Cheers, i cant' come back with my wifes drink. She has to get her own. So we both leave the room? Not gonna happen.

That's why!

On 8/4/2022 at 6:13 AM, Dthomas1 said:

71BDj1hIP2L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Problem with this is that if they find it, and I know that's in "if", it's pretty obvious what it is.

The larger containers are part of what we smuggled this last weekend. That's over 1 litter between both bottles.image.thumb.jpeg.eef07d65a56e64f50d5d0e781244b0bf.jpeg

On 8/7/2022 at 9:24 PM, ilovesparky13 said:

Funny because I have always wondered the exact opposite.

Why on earth would you pay money for something you can easily do for free? It is SO EASY taking my carryon on and off the ship, and I always have everything I need with me that first day. I honestly can’t fathom why any able-bodied person would use a porter. 

Because i don't have enough hands to carry all the S%@$ my wife packs.

And don't forget many of us have kids we're have to chase during embarkarion, medical devices we might have to carry on board, etc.

So not that easy @ilovesparky13

Unless I'm travelling someplace that's freezing where I'd need a lot of heavier clothing/boots/etc, or for a long enough time (more than a week), I usually just pack what I need into one of these and carry it myself. I think it's the max carry on size, it's virtually indestructible and it has wheels. 

1510 Protector Carry-On Case | Pelican Official Store

I've got several of them in different sizes for bigger or smaller trips. They aren't the lightest cases on the market but again, virtually indestructible. Once or twice I even shipped my own luggage rather than check it and travel with it since bag fees can be out of control on airlines and if you check around there are services that can get your bags delivered to a lot of places for roughly the same price as checking them at the airport. lugless is a good one. Just plan a few days in advance, drop them off and they're at your destination when you arrive.

Edited by smears