Paxlovid on QM2?

rsquare

Does anyone know if QM2, or Cunard ships in general, carry supplies of paxlovid or molnupiravir?  These are antivirals which dramatically lessen the chances of hospitalization for those infected with Covid, if taken in the first five days after symptoms appear; paxlovid appears to be the more effective of the two.

I'm trying to decide whether to make my final payment on a November transatlantic, and I keep coming back to the scenario where I've picked up Covid on shore (in the UK, since my trip is a westbound TA) or perhaps waiting to board in Southampton, and symptoms emerge on, say, the second day out.  Without access to one of these antivirals, by the time we reach New York, I'm past the window for getting any benefit from the drug.  Based on age, other medical conditions, and a bit of extra padding around the waist, I would be particularly vulnerable to serious problems from Covid.

My TA tells me that other clients have raised the same question, and that Cunard avoids a straightforward yes or no response.

28 minutes ago, longton said:

If it's such a concern could you not take your own supplies?

I've thought about it.  The problem is getting a prescription when I don't actually have any disease that justifies the prescription; not sure how easy or legal that would be.

Get  all the booster's you are due - one thing with Omicron is that its not the same disease as 2 years ago.  I'm healthy 60 F my partner is a 70 M with heart failure,  diabetes etc etc - he had the exact same symptoms as me when he got Omicron off me in May - we've both had worse colds in the past.  I don't believe the antivirals are perscribed here unless you are a very immunocompromised have serious COPD or similar 

• Like 1

Just this week in Australia, the federal government announced that after advice from health officials, antivirals will now be available to all Covid patients aged over seventy years, regardless of health status.  Previously, they could only be prescribed if a patient carried an immune-compromising condition, or had a history of heart, liver, etc. problems.  I can attest they make a significant difference.  Several friends who have taken them sailed through Covid, two totally asymptomatic.  All of these people carried compromising conditions.  It's my understanding, though, that the antivirals can be prescribed only after a positive Covid test result.  That's a shame because we would love to take a sufficient supply (and by that I mean simply the necessary amount for each of us should we test positive, and no more) with us when we leave for two months away in September.  The holiday includes two cruises, one for two a two weeks' Baltic cruise on Oceania's Sirena, and the other five weeks sailing home to Sydney from Barcelona on Cunard's Queen Elizabeth where I hope to meet Lis above.  It would be truly wonderful to learn that antiviral medications can be supplied aboard.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Craigrlewis said:

Can only state that I contracted covid on QE in Alaska in June and they had Paxlovid on board at that point in time

That's wonderful news, thank you🙏

47 minutes ago, frankp01 said:

There have been one or two recent threads where the poster tested positive enroute. One, I think, is titled QM2 for 3 weeks. You might ask there if one of the antivirals was available.

In the US, at least, paxlovid is limited to those who have aggravating medical conditions.  I have no idea of UK practice in that regard, which probably guides medical practice on board Cunard ships (or maybe Bermuda policy, given the ship's registry, which is even more obscure).

My experience was I asked about it when my positive test result delivered.

Nurse said they had antivirals but would need to speak to Dr.

Spoke to Dr who said at that time no one infected on the ship had developed serious life threatening symptoms necessitating antivirals.

I discussed my medical history and concerns why I was asking.

He went away and came back saying if I wanted them then The decision was mine but he'd suggest waiting to see how my symptoms developed.

Never got worse so never needed them.

Now Im going out on a limb by repeating this here in public AND paraphrasing - He basically said the drugs are still new and as such they come with numerous warnings and no one knows long term affects of anyone using them.
NHS guidelines warn of potential kidney issues amongst other things.  He said with all new treatments ones has to balance off the pros and cons of using.

My partner is American and Im english.

So I get a kick out of the drug advertising on American TV and the “tell your dr you want xyz” and then followed by the announcer saying “side effects can include bla bla bla and amy cause death”

I think the much wider use of the antivirals in some countries compared to the UK where as exlondoner says the NHS strictly controls it demonstrates the ships Dr hesitation to just prescribe it as Id asked for it.

I would suggest anyone vulnerable gets something ahead from their medical person to say they'd prescribe it to you then IMHO if you want it they'll give it to you (and charge you)

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Craigrlewis said:

My experience was I asked about it when my positive test result delivered.

Nurse said they had antivirals but would need to speak to Dr.

Spoke to Dr who said at that time no one infected on the ship had developed serious life threatening symptoms necessitating antivirals.

I discussed my medical history and concerns why I was asking.

He went away and came back saying if I wanted them then The decision was mine but he'd suggest waiting to see how my symptoms developed.

Never got worse so never needed them.

Now Im going out on a limb by repeating this here in public AND paraphrasing - He basically said the drugs are still new and as such they come with numerous warnings and no one knows long term affects of anyone using them.
NHS guidelines warn of potential kidney issues amongst other things.  He said with all new treatments ones has to balance off the pros and cons of using.

My partner is American and Im english.

So I get a kick out of the drug advertising on American TV and the “tell your dr you want xyz” and then followed by the announcer saying “side effects can include bla bla bla and amy cause death”

I think the much wider use of the antivirals in some countries compared to the UK where as exlondoner says the NHS strictly controls it demonstrates the ships Dr hesitation to just prescribe it as Id asked for it.

I would suggest anyone vulnerable gets something ahead from their medical person to say they'd prescribe it to you then IMHO if you want it they'll give it to you (and charge you)

Yes, those cautions are also, of course, noted here in Australia.  Certain renal conditions would negate the prescribing of at least one  nominated antiviral.  The prevailing thought now is that all people over 70 are compromised to some degree, simply by virtue of an immune system no longer as robust as that of much younger members of the population.