Seasick Patch

We tried using the natural patches made by SHIP-EZZ and they fell off after 10 minutes.  Don't waste your money($50.00) in our case.  Never again. They are not a reputably company and cursed me out and threatened me when I tried getting our money back on the live chat!!

4 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

We STRONGLY suggest that anyone planning to use (or possibly use) any new medicine while traveling TRY IT AT HOME FIRST.

If you are going to have any kind of reaction, find that out while you are in the comfort of your own home and also near your regular medical care.

It doesn't matter if "most people don't have a reaction" or not.  You are just one person, with your own biology/etc., plus whatever types of meds (or even foods) that you take.  No one else is exactly the same.

Hopefully this will also save you from wasting some time during your trip finding out what you could have found out at home in advance.  Or something worse...

GC

Okey...dokey.   I was, at that time...one of those invincible 20 somethings.  40 plus years ago learned this the hard way.  😉  Have...as I stated....never used it again  

Meclizine works great for me, but as you can see different people react differently. Have your friend try things in advance. You could have fun driving them around like a madman trying to get them sick. 

If you decide to go with either Meclizine or patches, both can usually be bought a lot cheaper from Amazon than your local pharmacy. 

21 hours ago, Bound4Bermuda said:

Is it better to take meclizine in the morning or at night? I was thinking the morning simply because I may have some wine at night so better to avoid taking soon after ingesting alcohol. 

I take it right before I go to bed because it makes me drowsy.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Bound4Bermuda said:

It’s okay to take Bonine even with alcohol? I think I’ve done that before, but it’s been a while since I’ve been on a cruise. Thanks!

I'm not a heavy drinker, but usually have a glass of wine with dinner and then a cocktail during a show and never had a problem.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Bound4Bermuda said:

It’s okay to take Bonine even with alcohol? I think I’ve done that before, but it’s been a while since I’ve been on a cruise. Thanks!

I am not a doctor, but I enjoy giving medical advice to strangers on the internet. 

Do not mix alcohol with benzos. People die from that combo far too frequently. 

Do not mix alcohol with Ambien. You may end up dancing naked in the aisle of your airplane. 

Alcohol and Meclizine (Bonine)? Don’t volunteer to steer the ship but otherwise you should be fine. Completely different class of drugs than thevstuff that gets you in trouble. 

Edited by wcook
  • Haha 1

On 7/13/2022 at 1:33 PM, GeezerCouple said:

We STRONGLY suggest that anyone planning to use (or possibly use) any new medicine while traveling TRY IT AT HOME FIRST.

If you are going to have any kind of reaction, find that out while you are in the comfort of your own home and also near your regular medical care.

It doesn't matter if "most people don't have a reaction" or not.  You are just one person, with your own biology/etc., plus whatever types of meds (or even foods) that you take.  No one else is exactly the same.

Hopefully this will also save you from wasting some time during your trip finding out what you could have found out at home in advance.  Or something worse...

GC

I agree. Try the patch or medication at home before going on a trip. 

My husband and I wear the Scopolamine patch on all our dive trips and usually on cruises. Neither of us have issues with the patch but I understand that some people do. I also take Dramamine on trips with me now. Sometimes I do both. Sometimes I just take Dramamine at night and skip the patch. But I always have at least one of these options. 

Also, be sure to take whatever you use the NIGHT BEFORE you go on a cruise/trip. I made a big mistake of not putting on my patch the night before we left for Miami to go on a sailing dive liveaboard. As soon as we landed in Miami and got to the boat, we took off for the crossing to Bimini. It was a rough crossing and putting the patch on when we got to the boat WAS A BAD IDEA AND TOO LATE! I was horribly sick for several hours and it ruined the trip for me as I never really recovered. 

On the crossing back to Miami, I wore the patch and also took a Dramamine the night before. No issue.