Travel time to Miami

C4HCG

Hi all, looking for advice please. We are on the Equinox arriving back in FL on 8th September and our original flight home has been cancelled. Our TA is suggesting a flight from Miami at 12.01 but given the time of day and how busy the roads would be is that too risky?  

If you self disembark - you will be able to walk off with your luggage quite early. This puts time on your side as you will avoid the the masses. Also it’s face recognition for re-entry  with passports - super fast. 

For domestic flights it s/b enough time but it’s good to ask the question for international flights.

Others will be able to weigh in with specifics based on their experience with time needed international flights out of Miami.

We have flown out of MIA several times when cruising out of Port Everglades, and frequently chose a 12:30 flight that used to be available for our destination. We never had a problem, and were even able to take the ship's transfer and still make our flight. That said, if you are concerned, as others have said, you can do self walk-off and should not have any trouble making it to MIA in time for your flight. It's about a 45 minute drive and, while the airports are pretty crazy when multiple ships "turn around" on Saturdays and Sundays, the roads aren't that bad in my experience. Hope that's helpful. 

We've gone the other way--sailing out of Miami but flying in and out of FLL.  It should be no problem at all.  It should take you less than an hour to get there even if traffic (and more like 45 minutes without much traffic).  I really wouldn't worry too much about it, even on a Thursday.

I'd walk of with luggage if at all possible just to be more comfortable.  However, if that is something you just cannot do, then you should still be more than fine being one of the earlier groups off the ship. 

Really, as long as the facial recognition is working, you probably are fine even if you were the last ones off the ship, but I wouldn't enjoy that.

Is it best to go to the regular taxi line and take a taxi or arrange for a “pre-arranged” shuttle service.  Will the regular taxi give a flat rate from Port Everglades to MIA? I know many use the “ride share” companies,  but we do not so looking for other suggestions. Thanks.

Thanks all for the responses, very much appraisal and has helped us decide, it is an international flight so we’ve erred on the side of caution and changed it.

Edited by C4HCG
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, cruiztime said:

Is it best to go to the regular taxi line and take a taxi or arrange for a “pre-arranged” shuttle service.  Will the regular taxi give a flat rate from Port Everglades to MIA? I know many use the “ride share” companies,  but we do not so looking for other suggestions. Thanks.

I need to comment on that.  If I have any say in the matter, I've already ridden in my last taxi around the Miami/Fort Lauderdale area unless I'm in a terrible hurry and there's a taxi sitting right there waiting for us.

First of all, we've recently had some rather unpleasant experiences with taxis in the Miami/Fort Lauderdale area.  One had been sitting with his windows wide open with no A/C running, so the cab was sweltering and smelled of gasoline fumes for some time even after we got him to finally turn the A/C on.  Another tried to give me a bunch of BS about an exhorbitant flat fee from the cruise terminal to the airport (even though every sign says it's metered only).  Then, he tried to block my view of the meter and hounded me to pay in cash.  

In contrast, the Uber and Lyft drivers we've had have been very pleasant.  The cars have been cool and comfortable.  All payment is done through the app, so there never is any issue there, and the amount is pretty much set the moment you confirm the ride (there can be some fairly nominal "congestion charge" if there's a lot of traffic).  You will come across drivers who speak very little English, but that's the area for you.  We've had nothing but good experiences with the Uber and Lyft drivers in the area, even if there may not be much conversation (but we've also had some good conversation).

Also, there's a significant price difference.  A taxi likely will cost around $100 for the trip OP is looking at.  An Uber or Lyft likely will cost more like $50, give or take.  So, you're paying twice as much to get the worst possible service.  Frankly, if I weren't going to take a rideshare, then I would rather spend even more extra money on a town car service rather than take a taxi (but I'm more than happy with the Uber/Lyft).

The trade-offs with rideshare is that you will have to wait on the car, and you will have to go out of your way at the airport to the rideshare area.  The wait can be anywhere from a few minutes to around 10 (our longest wait to pickup at the cruise terminal has been 11 minutes).  From what I recall, though, the rideshare pickup at MIA is not much further than the cab stand.  It's more of a hike at FLL.

25 minutes ago, C4HCG said:

Thanks all for the responses, very much appraisal and has helped us decide, it is an international flight so we’ve erred on the side of caution and changed it.

That was meant to say appreciated not appraisal 🙈

23 hours ago, C4HCG said:

Hi all, looking for advice please. We are on the Equinox arriving back in FL on 8th September and our original flight home has been cancelled. Our TA is suggesting a flight from Miami at 12.01 but given the time of day and how busy the roads would be is that too risky?  

For a 12:01 flight you need to be at MIA not later than about 1030, and 10:00 or earlier is better with the typical TSA chaos (without pre-check the lines sometime take 45+ minutes to clear security! 😲).  The ride from PE to MIA takes about an hour, which translates into off the ship, with bags and clear of customs/immigration NLT about 8:45 - again earlier is better!

A taxi from PE to MIA will run $75+ on the meter, so a total fare of close to $100 is a good ballpark.  UberX or Lyft should be cheaper, but surge pricing may push those fares above what the cab will charge.  The advantage with a taxi is not waiting - take the first one in line and insist that he use the meter.  If you want to use a car/limo service, check with Larry's Limos who are often suggested on this board.

If any of this helps you owe me a pint - whatever bitter your local pours will be fine! 😎

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, JohninDC said:

For a 12:01 flight you need to be at MIA not later than about 1030, and 10:00 or earlier is better with the typical TSA chaos (without pre-check the lines sometime take 45+ minutes to clear security! 😲).  The ride from PE to MIA takes about an hour, which translates into off the ship, with bags and clear of customs/immigration NLT about 8:45 - again earlier is better!

A taxi from PE to MIA will run $75+ on the meter, so a total fare of close to $100 is a good ballpark.  UberX or Lyft should be cheaper, but surge pricing may push those fares above what the cab will charge.  The advantage with a taxi is not waiting - take the first one in line and insist that he use the meter.  If you want to use a car/limo service, check with Larry's Limos who are often suggested on this board.

If any of this helps you owe me a pint - whatever bitter your local pours will be fine! 😎

We changed our plans entirely John but thanks for your post, confirms we did the right thing. Now driving up to Orlando for an evening flight home and will have a walk round Disney Springs during the day.

South Florida is seeing a lot of airline cancels and re-schedules for the summer.  One problem here is the frequency of early to mid-afternoon thunderstorms as cooler ocean breezes encounter hotter land breezes from the center of the peninsula.