Quarantine Area on Nieuw Amsterdam

jlynchtx

Does anyone know exactly where the quarantine area is on the Nieuw Amsterdam? I just read that it is on deck 6 FWD, but I can’t seem to get an answer as to which side of the ship? Port or Starboard? We are booked on deck 6 FWD starting on Sunday and I am worried we are too close to the quarantine area…

33 minutes ago, jlynchtx said:

Does anyone know exactly where the quarantine area is on the Nieuw Amsterdam? I just read that it is on deck 6 FWD, but I can’t seem to get an answer as to which side of the ship? Port or Starboard? We are booked on deck 6 FWD starting on Sunday and I am worried we are too close to the quarantine area…

No experience personally but I recall reading some of the HAL ships have the crew quarantine area on deck 6 fwd.  They aren't necessarily quarantined due to having COVID but rather have a mandatory quarantine period if new to the ship.

@jlynchtx  What would be the issue being "too close" to the quarantine area?  I will be on a cruise later this year on another ship where my cabin is a couple doors away from the current quarantine area on that ship.  I don't see a problem with this, as the people will be staying inside their cabins.  Do you know something we should be concerned about?

Thanks,

~Nancy

Edited by oakridger
  • Like 1

Just now, AFNavigator said:

No experience personally but I recall reading some of the HAL ships have the crew quarantine area on deck 6 fwd.  They aren't necessarily quarantined due to having COVID but rather have a mandatory quarantine period if new to the ship.

Also, airflow in a quarantine area is totally separated from airflow in adjacent non-quarantine areas. The ships are built that way for smoke containment in case of fires. The zones are separated by corridor fire doors   In other words, you won't accidentally wander into a quarantine zone.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, AFNavigator said:

Also, airflow in a quarantine area is totally separated from airflow in adjacent non-quarantine areas. The ships are built that way for smoke containment in case of fires. The zones are separated by corridor fire doors   In other words, you won't accidentally wander into a quarantine zone.

Thats good to know. Thanks!

6 hours ago, oakridger said:

@jlynchtx  What would be the issue being "too close" to the quarantine area?  I will be on a cruise later this year on another ship where my cabin is a couple doors away from the current quarantine area on that ship.  I don't see a problem with this, as the people will be staying inside their cabins.  Do you know something we should be concerned about?

Thanks,

~Nancy

@oakridger 

No, I don’t know anything, the only thing I know is I would prefer not to get COVID on the cruise and ruin my vacation. It just seems to me that being right next door to dozens of rooms with COVID positive people would increase the likelihood of catching it. But, I could be totally wrong about it. If the ventilation system is completely separate, then I’m sure it will be fine. I’m probably worrying over nothing. 

I think what got me concerned was when I read that the isolation area was deck 6 FWD, which is where we are staying. That’s why I was trying to make sure it was at least on the opposite side of the ship. Surely they would couldn’t accidentally sell cabins in the quarantine area… Again, probably over thinking it,  but it would still be nice to know where it was…

Edited by jlynchtx

When we were on NA it was on Deck 6.  You cannot go down the quarantine hallway because the entire area is closed off.  Closed off as in the double doors are closed and it is posted that you are not allowed through the doors.  

4 hours ago, jlynchtx said:

@oakridger 

No, I don’t know anything, the only thing I know is I would prefer not to get COVID on the cruise and ruin my vacation. It just seems to me that being right next door to dozens of rooms with COVID positive people would increase the likelihood of catching it. But, I could be totally wrong about it. If the ventilation system is completely separate, then I’m sure it will be fine. I’m probably worrying over nothing. 

I think what got me concerned was when I read that the isolation area was deck 6 FWD, which is where we are staying. That’s why I was trying to make sure it was at least on the opposite side of the ship. Surely they would couldn’t accidentally sell cabins in the quarantine area… Again, probably over thinking it,  but it would still be nice to know where it was…

Not on NA but on a different ship, we were on Deck 4 and we were moved to Main Deck because HAL was using part of Deck 4 for quarantine.  We only found that out when we arrived.  Then, they wanted to put us right below the music walk and I said no, so we were moved to a different room on Main Deck right near the Customer Service area which was fine.  I didn't like the fact that on that Main Deck the ceilings are lower so you get a bit of that closed in feeling.  But, the fact that we are only in the room to sleep and change made it fine.  We are 4 star so I was kind of surprised they did not try and accommodate us a little better.  I didn't want to ruin the vacation starting out, so we just sucked it up once we got a quieter place on Main Deck.  

Edited by AKJonesy

Speaking of covid quarantine, there was a passenger last year doing the California, Mexico, Hawaii cruise who got quarantined quite early in the trip and blogged here on CC about the experience.  After I read that, I started thinking about what I would want in my room if I were quarantined.  On each of our  trips, I packed some things to keep myself more occupied if it happened to me; which it did not.  At least on 2 of the ships we were on, quarantine was in balcony rooms that I knew of so that people could go outside which would make it more tolerable.  I guess people could decide if they were going to quarantine together or not.  That is, the infected and non infected could be together.  We decided in advance we would not do that.  My understanding is that you have to decide and pack very quickly once you get the results.  So, we made sure we had separate chargers, etc.  Again, something to think about.  

On April 30, 2022 I tested positive for Covid on the NA, the last day of the cruise in Victoria Canada.  The test was needed prior to flying back home to Oregon from Vancouver.  I quarantined one day in cabin 4035 a verandah cabin starboard side.  It was on the same deck as our original cabin.  The fire doors to this section of the 4th deck closed off access to everyone except staff.  The 6th deck same floor section was also used for quarantining and the fire doors also were used to restrict access.

Well, never mind. I just got an email and found out we have been “upgraded” to deck 5, midship. Time to re-print luggage tags…

That does make me wonder if we were in the quarantine area originally…Either way, we aren’t now. Thanks for the help. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rajkr74 said:

On April 30, 2022 I tested positive for Covid on the NA, the last day of the cruise in Victoria Canada.  The test was needed prior to flying back home to Oregon from Vancouver.  I quarantined one day in cabin 4035 a verandah cabin starboard side.  It was on the same deck as our original cabin.  The fire doors to this section of the 4th deck closed off access to everyone except staff.  The 6th deck same floor section was also used for quarantining and the fire doors also were used to restrict access.

Thank you for the reply and help. I did just find out that they “upgraded” us to deck 5 midship. I guess it’s a moot point now anyway, but thanks for the info! 

On Noordam last month it was the side facing away from land (so port vs starboard would vary by cruise). It was deck 6 I think, but they also had the fire doors closed by the elevators so people could not just walk down that hallway. No other guests were staying in that hallway either.

16 hours ago, jlynchtx said:

@oakridger 

I think what got me concerned was when I read that the isolation area was deck 6 FWD, which is where we are staying. That’s why I was trying to make sure it was at least on the opposite side of the ship. Surely they would couldn’t accidentally sell cabins in the quarantine area…

Thank you for your thoughts and response.  I'm glad you have been moved so there are no issues anyway.  Have a great cruise!

7 hours ago, LJProk said:

On Noordam last month it was the side facing away from land (so port vs starboard would vary by cruise). It was deck 6 I think, but they also had the fire doors closed by the elevators so people could not just walk down that hallway. No other guests were staying in that hallway either.

Sorry..."the side facing away from land" ? That can vary hour by hour on a moving ship. And a ship can dock with either side to land.

Ship landmarks 1A. As you at the back of the ship ( the "stern"), facing the front of the ship (the "bow"), the left side is "port", the right is "starboard ".

Most of the reports have been that quarantine cabins have been portside, decks 4, possibly 5 if more cabins required, and occasionally a couple of other areas.