Pre-cruise testing

chrisnasah

Hello,

Just wanted to confirm rather than testing in the USA can i do testing in the UK before the cruise?

I prefer to know whether i will be able to cruise or not before leaving the UK and whether Carnival will accept result from the UK.

Thanks

Just depends on the timing - can you get the test done (according to tall the requirements) and get results prior to checking in at the airport in the UK?  Either two or three prior to cruise date, depending on your vax status.

Assuming you are arriving the night before the cruise, you would be testing in the UK "two days before" the cruised date if you did the test the morning of your flight.  (A 9am test would be 4am East Coast time in the US.)

Per the H&S protocols, I see no reason why they wouldn't accept the results from the UK, as long as all the proper info was there.  But make sure it is - I doubt your test facility will be there to answer a long-distance phone call from the US as you try to check-in.

Regarding the test results: from the Carnival COVID 19 Guest Protocols page:

https://www.carnival.com/Legal/covid-19-legal-notices/covid-19-guest-protocols?icid=advisory_cruisehealth_040122

Prior to traveling to the cruise terminal, guests should review their test results to ensure they include their full legal name, date of birth, type of test, date and time sample was taken, test result stating “NEGATIVE” or “NOT DETECTED” and laboratory, testing site, and/or healthcare provider details. Handwritten test results are not acceptable. 

• Like 1

Prog is on top of this chris.  I'm going to strongly suggest you be 'fully up to date' by CDC standards.  That means having a sufficiently new booster that you're not eligible for the next one.  In our personal case, our last booster was in November '21 so we're getting another one in the next couple weeks prior to three cruises beginning in mid August. Besides any theoretical health benefits (not commenting on that), what it DOES DO is expand your testing window to 3 days (note, this doesn't mean 72 hours).  So from the UK that means if your cruise begins on a Saturday, you are allowed to test as early as Wednesday, presumably before your flight.  Without being 'up to date', your test would need to take place no earlier than Thursday in my example.

Domestically, we routinely employ the 'Test>Fly>Sail' strategy on 3 consecutive days.  But you're coming from further away so may want the leeway of an extra day.

12 minutes ago, jsglow said:

Prog is on top of this chris.  I'm going to strongly suggest you be 'fully up to date' by CDC standards.  That means having a sufficiently new booster that you're not eligible for the next one.  In our personal case, our last booster was in November '21 so we're getting another one in the next couple weeks prior to three cruises beginning in mid August. Besides any theoretical health benefits (not commenting on that), what it DOES DO is expand your testing window to 3 days (note, this doesn't mean 72 hours).  So from the UK that means if your cruise begins on a Saturday, you are allowed to test as early as Wednesday, presumably before your flight.  Without being 'up to date', your test would need to take place no earlier than Thursday in my example.

Domestically, we routinely employ the 'Test>Fly>Sail' strategy on 3 consecutive days.  But you're coming from further away so may want the leeway of an extra day.

The first booster is sufficient to qualify for 3 days testing window except for Canada.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

The first booster is sufficient to qualify for 3 days testing window except for Canada.  

Ah, I think you're correct now that I think about it!  Right now I'm focused on Canada so there's that.  TY for the clarification.

Thanks for the helpful comments, i am fully vaccinated with booster hence thinking i can test 3 days prior.

Cruise is on the Sunday 14th August so plan is to get tested on Thursday evening UK time around 8 pm as i fly out next day, so this will be within the 3 day period.

4 hours ago, chrisnasah said:

Hello,

Just wanted to confirm rather than testing in the USA can i do testing in the UK before the cruise?

I prefer to know whether i will be able to cruise or not before leaving the UK and whether Carnival will accept result from the UK.

Thanks

We are flying out to England the week before the cruise, Aug 14th so we have to get our test in the UK.

Haven't decided if we will take a home test with us and then do the on-line test using On-point, which is recommended by Carnival.

The other options for us is calling in at Gatwick airport on the way to Dover and using the on-site testing at 35 pounds.

https://www.expresstest.co.uk/book-a-test/?gclid=CjwKCAjwoMSWBhAdEiwAVJ2ndnGagf2RqU4YESpoh0wH_12CnwqjFT8snUXv5SR3w6HvuMtLWMqQuhoCPCQQAvD_BwE 

1 hour ago, Elaine5715 said:

FYI: CDC now says to be fully “up to date” on vaccines, you must have a 2nd booster if you are over 50 and first booster was more than 4 months ago. I am over 50, had my only booster last January, so I am no longer up to date. So, I have to test two days before sailing.

1 hour ago, dmcfad2 said:

FYI: CDC now says to be fully “up to date” on vaccines, you must have a 2nd booster if you are over 50 and first booster was more than 4 months ago. I am over 50, had my only booster last January, so I am no longer up to date. So, I have to test two days before sailing.

Carnival accepts one booster

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

Carnival accepts one booster

I wish you were right, but I think you are mistaken. I copied this from the Carnival website and it says “up to date” is when one has all recommended boosters. 

TESTING REQUIREMENTS

Except where destination requirements differ*, guests who are up to date with their vaccines may take their test within three days prior to sailing.

• Up to date means a guest has received all recommended COVID-19 vaccinations, including any booster dose, when eligible.
  • Example: For a sailing departing on Saturday, guests may take their test as early as Wednesday and as late as Saturday morning, if guaranteed to receive results in time for check-in.

If a guest is fully vaccinated but not up to date with their vaccines, they must take their pre-cruise COVID-19 test within two days prior to sailing.

• If you are eligible for a booster and have not received one, you are not considered up to date.
  • Example: For a sailing departing on Saturday, guests may take their test no earlier than Thursday and as late as Saturday morning, if guaranteed to receive results in time for check-in.

1 hour ago, dmcfad2 said:

I wish you were right, but I think you are mistaken. I copied this from the Carnival website and it says “up to date” is when one has all recommended boosters. 

TESTING REQUIREMENTS

Except where destination requirements differ*, guests who are up to date with their vaccines may take their test within three days prior to sailing.

• Up to date means a guest has received all recommended COVID-19 vaccinations, including any booster dose, when eligible.
  • Example: For a sailing departing on Saturday, guests may take their test as early as Wednesday and as late as Saturday morning, if guaranteed to receive results in time for check-in.

If a guest is fully vaccinated but not up to date with their vaccines, they must take their pre-cruise COVID-19 test within two days prior to sailing.

• If you are eligible for a booster and have not received one, you are not considered up to date.
  • Example: For a sailing departing on Saturday, guests may take their test no earlier than Thursday and as late as Saturday morning, if guaranteed to receive results in time for check-in.

So up to date means you are required to have BOOSTER #2, if over 50?

35 minutes ago, topaz123 said:

So up to date means you are required to have BOOSTER #2, if over 50?

That is the way I understand it according to the CDC website. You are still considered fully vaccinated for the cruise,  just not “up to date”, so you would need to do your test 2 days before the sail date if you are over 50 and you only have one booster.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/stay-up-to-date.html#recommendations

On 7/15/2022 at 3:33 PM, dmcfad2 said:

TESTING REQUIREMENTS

Carnival site clearly states, "a booster and have not received one..."

They want you vaxxed and boosted, no mention for second booster.

On 7/15/2022 at 6:33 PM, Elaine5715 said:

John has repeatedly said one booster

I've heard the same thing but John has been wrong before.  I personally wouldn't rely on the 3 day rule if my booster was 'old' (as it current is).  The risk at the pier of a 'misunderstanding' wouldn't be worth the extra day to me.  YMMV.

• Like 1

On 7/17/2022 at 9:29 AM, topaz123 said:

Spoke to our Carnival VIP...."...as long as the CDC does not require the second booster, then one booster is enough".  Not sure what to believe now.....

And now that CDC won't be requiring anything going forward, you can believe the VIP.

• Like 1