another insurance question

1 hour ago, Babr said:

The web page calls it Travel Protection. Did you buy the plan from Royal or is it something from your travel agent? What do your documents say?

I bought it from Royal --- and I didn't get any documents... I think I'll give them a call 

I always buy 3rd party. Usually about the same price and a lot better coverage if you ever need it. Also have backup coverage through my AMEX card.

Look at the policy from Royal. It’s horrible!

Edited by CruisingHogFan

15 minutes ago, carbon said:

I am thinking I want to buy insurance but not from the cruise line Thoughts?

We always get trip insurance but never from the cruise line.  You can get better coverage for less money through a third party.  Here is where we always go to purchase and some plans will insure kids for free….

www.insuremytrip.com

• Like 1

I have to look up the insurance carrier's name but we purchase an annual travel insurance policy since we cruise several times a year along with other travel.     Much cheaper than buying per trip.    We have never had to use it but just gives us peace of mind and cost less than $300 for the year.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I have to look up the insurance carrier's name but we purchase an annual travel insurance policy since we cruise several times a year along with other travel.     Much cheaper than buying per trip.    We have never had to use it but just gives us peace of mind and cost less than $300 for the year.

if you find the name of the insurer, let us know

1 hour ago, CruisingHogFan said:

I always buy 3rd party. Usually about the same price and a lot better coverage if you ever need it. Also have backup coverage through my AMEX card.

There are a couple of advantages to Royal’s coverage. One is that it includes CFAR at 90% at no extra charge. Third- party policies require an additional premium for that and set time limits with special conditions.

Two is that the premium is not based on age. It can be a cost-effective choice for older cruisers.

Edited by Babr
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Royal uses AON insurance. We purchase Royal and use insuremytrip. I had to file a medical claim with AON and was reimbursed 100%. Read what each policy covers before you purchase.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, C cruise said:

if you find the name of the insurer, let us know

Be mindful that some annual policies do not cover travel risks such as cancellation - just medical and evacuation. Those policies that do include cancellation often have a low dollar maximum with the option to increase coverage at additional cost..

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, cynt said:

Royal uses AON insurance. We purchase Royal and use insuremytrip. I had to file a medical claim with AON and was reimbursed 100%. Read what each policy covers before you purchase.

AON is actually the company that processes the claim. The policy is underwritten by Arch Insurance.

But you are correct that one must read carefully and ask questions to be sure he is getting the right coverage.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CruisingHogFan said:

Tell us why it's "horrible".  Please be specific.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Look at what you already have covered through your existing health insurance and your credit card used to pay for the trip.

Most credit cards come with trip interruption / cancellation coverage, and lost luggage benefits.

See if your health insurance covers out of the country (usually you pay/they reimburse), and get a policy to fill the gap.  For instance, I am covered anywhere in the world, reimbursed, but since medical evacuation is expensive, I make sure I have a credit card with a high limit.  See if your insurance pays directly for hospitalization once approved when you enter the hospital.  No reimbursement in this case.

Also, look into an annual policy.  I found this to be much cheaper than insuring individual trips when I have multiple trips/cruises plannned in a 12 month period.

Edited by pcur
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, pcur said:

Look at what you already have covered through your existing health insurance and your credit card used to pay for the trip.

Most credit cards come with trip interruption / cancellation coverage, and lost luggage benefits.

See if your health insurance covers out of the country (usually you pay/they reimburse), and get a policy to fill the gap.  For instance, I am covered anywhere in the world, reimbursed, but since medical evacuation is expensive, I make sure I have a credit card with a high limit.  See if your insurance pays directly for hospitalization once approved when you enter the hospital.  No reimbursement in this case.

Also, look into an annual policy.  I found this to be much cheaper than insuring individual trips when I have multiple trips/cruises plannned in a 12 month period.

All of these are good strategies, but people have to be careful to understand that credit card insurance does not perform the same as a comprehensive travel policy. It does not cover cancellation or interruption caused by pre-existing conditions.

The Trip Interruption provision reimburses for unused prepaid nonrefundable expenses but does not pay for transportation home. It may pay change fees but not any additional costs for a new flight.

The Trip Delay provision is $500 usually only for strikes or weather. It likely will not apply in the current situation where cancellations and delays are caused by staffing shortages. It will not pay if you are delayed for quarantine.

Also know that annual policies are primarily for medical/evacuation coverage. Travel benefits, if they exist, are capped at low levels with perhaps an option to upgrade for an additional cost.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, billslowsky said:

Tell us why it's "horrible".  Please be specific.

We buy 3rd party insurance for the high medical coverage and most people should also be looking at that aspect. Cruise line insurance focuses on cancellation/interruption coverages with small medical. Being out the cost of the trip wouldn’t be ideal and I would hate it but this would just a lost vacation financially and not hurt financially in the long term. (Should be this way for anyone or you are spending too much…..)

For example, cruise line insurance only has 25k of medical and 50k of evacuation coverage. This isn’t anywhere enough coverage if something happens. I’ve been on many sailings where people were taken off the ship in port for a emergency.

Fall and break something, heart attack, etc and you could be out $100,000s of dollars and trying to get back home.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CruisingHogFan said:

We buy 3rd party insurance for the high medical coverage and most people should also be looking at that aspect. Cruise line insurance focuses on cancellation/interruption coverages with small medical. Being out the cost of the trip wouldn’t be ideal and I would hate it but this would just a lost vacation financially and not hurt financially in the long term. (Should be this way for anyone or you are spending too much…..)

For example, cruise line insurance only has 25k of medical and 50k of evacuation coverage. This isn’t anywhere enough coverage if something happens. I’ve been on many sailings where people were taken off the ship in port for a emergency.

Fall and break something, heart attack, etc and you could be out $100,000s of dollars and trying to get back home.

Most people don't need medical once they actually read their own policies.  The US government specified in Medigap plans a lifetime max of $50,000.  This sounds like the people who tell others if they're worried about getting the virus, they should stay home.

If you want to overinsure, go ahead.

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Babr said:

All of these are good strategies, but people have to be careful to understand that credit card insurance does not perform the same as a comprehensive travel policy. It does not cover cancellation or interruption caused by pre-existing conditions.

The Trip Interruption provision reimburses for unused prepaid nonrefundable expenses but does not pay for transportation home. It may pay change fees but not any additional costs for a new flight.

The Trip Delay provision is $500 usually only for strikes or weather. It likely will not apply in the current situation where cancellations and delays are caused by staffing shortages. It will not pay if you are delayed for quarantine.

Also know that annual policies are primarily for medical/evacuation coverage. Travel benefits, if they exist, are capped at low levels with perhaps an option to upgrade for an additional cost.

Having worked in the health insurance field previously, I am aware of all you state.

I said "look at what you already have", which is clearly stated.  All of what you stated above is NOT what I have with my existing policies, so each person needs to examine these sources to see if they need more.

Example: I have a $3,000 lost luggage benefit per trip/per person with Chase Sapphire.

Edited by pcur

18 minutes ago, pcur said:

Having worked in the health insurance field previously, I am aware of all you state.

I said "look at what you already have", which is clearly stated.  All of what you stated above is NOT what I have with my existing policies, so each person needs to examine these sources to see if they need more.

Yes, I’m sure you have taken care of your situation. I was offering a word of caution to others who may read the post and think that credit card coverage is just the same as independently purchased travel insurance. It is not. What I said is true for Chase Sapphire as well as other credit cards.

Nor is annual insurance the right choice for some because the travel benefits are limited.

Edited by Babr
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Babr said:

Yes, I’m sure you have taken care of your situation. I was offering a word of caution to others who may read the post and think that credit card coverage is just the same as independently purchased travel insurance. It is not. What I said is true for Chase Sapphire as well as other credit cards.

Nor is annual insurance the right choice for some because the travel benefits are limited.

A word of caution is a good thing when analyzing insurance, but sweeping comments about "most" benefits is misleading.  

@billslowsky: I have no lifetime maximum for my health insurance.  Some people don't know the difference between Medigap and Senior Advantage coverages, and that's why I like to suggest that people research their existing coverages before buying travel insurance.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Me, too!

29 minutes ago, pcur said:

A word of caution is a good thing when analyzing insurance, but sweeping comments about "most" benefits is misleading.  

@billslowsky: I have no lifetime maximum for my health insurance.  Some people don't know the difference between Medigap and Senior Advantage coverages, and that's why I like to suggest that people research their existing coverages before buying travel insurance.

Not sure what “most” you are referring to. My comments about travel coverage - not medical - were based on the Guide to Benefits for the Chase Sapphire Reserve card, which is considered to have generous travel benefits. 

If you know of a card with more complete coverage, please tell us.

Edited by Babr
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Can you please PM me the info if it cannot be posted. Thank you!

• Like 1