Travel insurance question .... please clarify

Lojay2

We are planning a South America cruise in April.

I am planning on buying refundable airline tickets (because I am using points from my credit card), I understand that I do not have to show this value when I valuate the trip since the tickets are refundable, here is my question....

If I do not list the trip in the insurance information and I get delayed or cancelled on my return flight, does the travel insurance kick in (Allianz upgraded plan with Covid protection) to get me home or are they just going to cover the cruise cost? We are planning on staying three days after the cruise and then fly home. 

I have priced out the insurance both ways (cruise cost only and with cruise/air) and their is a significant difference.  I have not yet called insurance company because I would like to hear from people in the know on these boards 

Please help clarify my confusion   

6 hours ago, Lojay2 said:

We are planning a South America cruise in April.

I am planning on buying refundable airline tickets (because I am using points from my credit card), I understand that I do not have to show this value when I valuate the trip since the tickets are refundable, here is my question....

If I do not list the trip in the insurance information and I get delayed or cancelled on my return flight, does the travel insurance kick in (Allianz upgraded plan with Covid protection) to get me home or are they just going to cover the cruise cost? We are planning on staying three days after the cruise and then fly home. 

I have priced out the insurance both ways (cruise cost only and with cruise/air) and their is a significant difference.  I have not yet called insurance company because I would like to hear from people in the know on these boards 

Please help clarify my confusion   

Hi Lojay2,

> If I do not list the trip in the insurance information and I get delayed or cancelled on my return flight, does the travel insurance kick in (Allianz upgraded plan with Covid protection) to get me home or are they just going to cover the cruise cost?

I'm not qualified to answer any questions about Allianz. Nineteen (19) years ago I was their predecessor Access America's 9th largest seller. I discovered some important information about how their polices work and on 7/31/2003 we parted ways. I've never regretted that decision.

Steve Dasseos 

Edited by iamtrustworthy
typo

Thanks for the reply 

I only mentioned Allianz because ta in the past has used them, I tried to get clarification on their site. 
No issue with other companies, just want to make sure I have correct coverage

It would depend on how your insurance provider defines "Trip Delay". I would also imagine it would depend on how you set the policy up regarding "Begin Date" and "End Date" of your trip.

If you put the days of the cruise on your policy as the begin and end date, then those are the days you requested coverage for. So, in your example, anything that occurs after you get off the ship is all on you.

However, if you begin and ends dates included your pre-cruise and post-cruise dates, then your example would be covered (probably) under Trip Delay. Most insurance policies reimburse Trip Delay as an "Up to % of trip cost. (For example, my wife and I were returning from Miami. The morning of our flight, the flight was cancelled. We were placed on flights the next day. We had a hotel and a couple of meals to pay for. Our insurance had Trip Delay which paid out at 150% of Trip Cost. After providing copies of receipts and a letter from the airline explaining the reason for cancellation, 6 weeks later we received our reimbursement.)

• Thanks 1

On 7/18/2022 at 9:34 AM, klfrodo said:

It would depend on how your insurance provider defines "Trip Delay". I would also imagine it would depend on how you set the policy up regarding "Begin Date" and "End Date" of your trip.

If you put the days of the cruise on your policy as the begin and end date, then those are the days you requested coverage for. So, in your example, anything that occurs after you get off the ship is all on you.

However, if you begin and ends dates included your pre-cruise and post-cruise dates, then your example would be covered (probably) under Trip Delay. Most insurance policies reimburse Trip Delay as an "Up to % of trip cost. (For example, my wife and I were returning from Miami. The morning of our flight, the flight was cancelled. We were placed on flights the next day. We had a hotel and a couple of meals to pay for. Our insurance had Trip Delay which paid out at 150% of Trip Cost. After providing copies of receipts and a letter from the airline explaining the reason for cancellation, 6 weeks later we received our reimbursement.)

thank you, that makes a lot sense.  I spoke with Steve at the TravelInsuranceStore and got everything worked out

Thanks for your reply