Explora not doing it for this Yacht Club cruiser.

Nashna

52 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Luxury lines are typically not very child/teen friendly as they have few amenities and facilities for kids.  So folks who cruise in the YC with kids might want to carefully consider before they book Explora until it is clear how they will deal with kids.

From the earliest marketing materials and videos, children have been included in Explora's vision. MSC might be trying to carve out an interesting niche for well behaved children who are experienced with the Yacht Club/NCL Haven.

Even the Yacht Club staff suggested that we take a closer look at Explora. My kids aren't the type to jump on furniture or do cannonballs into the pool so maybe that's why the staff made the suggestion. I'll still wait for reviews before booking.

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

I think it is like comparing Apples to Komquats!   WiFi is included for those who book the Yacht Club but that is really not a major issue.   You are trying to compare a "ship within a ship" on a huge mass market cruise ship to a relatively small Luxury Line/ship. 

Hank,

my reply was in reference to the OP’s statement

” We loved sailing in the Yacht Club.  Now, we are looking at the Explora 2023 sailings and I'm underwhelmed.  The increased cost for the basic Explora suite is way more than Oceania, Regent or Viking for similar accommodations. “

I am not comparing market segments of cruise lines .. just showing that Explora is competitive priced when compared to MSC Yacht Club product Deluxe Suite.

I will most probably give Explora Voyages a try at this price point.

Wolf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, morpheusofthesea said:

classless bumpkins, that wear shorts to the dining room

Hey. That offensive. Some of us classless bumpkins know not to wear shorts to the dining room. Cargo pants? Sure. But not shorts. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, morpheusofthesea said:

"Snobbism", I prefer the less pejorative 'elitism'. We prefer traveling in suite venues away from classless bumpkins, that wear shorts to the dining room. Stopped 20 years ago eating at tables with others, as others have bad table manners, stopped eating at self service buffets for the same reason. Prefer a luxury cabin to 'hole up in' away from the 'maddening crowd'. More than once we have had to leave venues where others sit down and start coughing not covering their mouths. Do like the shows of the mega lines. Miss the Home Lines Atlantic, Royal Viking, Stella Solaris, Marco Polo, Orient Lines, but those were the port intensive cruises, so no need for entertainment. Would take intensive tours, get back to ship, shower, have dinner and collapse in bed. Looking now for service, time together, alone.

You're just one of those people who "doesn't work or play well with others".  You're missing a lot.

Me...the only people I avoid are the snobs who really have nothing to be snobbish about.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

But even on the Marco Polo we do remember some interesting entertainment

Our favorite entertainer on the Marco Polo was David Perry at the piano bar. We would sit all evening listening to his entertaining stories as he played. Some things can never be repeated in ones lifetime. Glad you can find some camaraderie to enhance your cruising.  Proverb "Different things appeal to different people." You can enjoy one aspect of the ship, while we can enjoy another.

Edited by morpheusofthesea
added thought

14 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

"Snobbism", I prefer the less pejorative 'elitism'. We prefer traveling in suite venues away from classless bumpkins, that wear shorts to the dining room. Stopped 20 years ago eating at tables with others, as others have bad table manners, stopped eating at self service buffets for the same reason. Prefer a luxury cabin to 'hole up in' away from the 'maddening crowd'. More than once we have had to leave venues where others sit down and start coughing not covering their mouths. Do like the shows of the mega lines. Miss the Home Lines Atlantic, Royal Viking, Stella Solaris, Marco Polo, Orient Lines, but those were the port intensive cruises, so no need for entertainment. Would take intensive tours, get back to ship, shower, have dinner and collapse in bed. Looking now for service, time together, alone.

Don't look.  Because in the DR in YC, I wear shorts.  

He, he!... You made my day guys!... Thanks all for the CC's most hilarious thread in many times!...

So; now to what matters: Different lines for different people, me thinks, even though on most sailings, price comparing, Explora is running at a competitive level to YC, at least at base line price. Do note though that the prices you see on Explora's website are the catalogue base prices for baseline suites. On top of that there will be incentives. I believe if you're a repeat MSC cruiser, they'll give an incentive according to your voyagers club status, and they may to do others. Nobody pays catalogue prices these days elsewhere.

As far as things go; I don't believe Explora as being a competitor for the likes of Oceania/Viking (even though their ships will use the exact same prototype Viking is using on its full fleet) or even less another English speaking full luxury line on the likes of Seabourn/Silversea/Regent, and obviously not another Hapag-Lloyd; it is the opposite: 1000 Passengers would command for mid luxury in theory, but they're likely to create a niche market line from mid to full luxury to please all those non English speaking international upper middle class well traveled individuals out there. By starting at just a little bit higher than current YC, they might to be "cannibalizing" the older product to a little extent... But YC has some 10+ ships where it is available and growing, compared to a 1-6 Explora ships in some 5 years to come. It is a calculated risk. If Explora succeeds, they'll just rise their prices. If not, they'll just to use Explora vessels elsewhere on their so long maritime industry ventures.

Finally; snobbery?... TBHH: They're elsewhere. In most cases they aren't exactly snobs per se, they're most likely "entitled" individuals, if I make me understandable... And to be the most frank possible: There are far more of them on baseline MSC Bella inside cabins than really on Explora's most expensive suites. Believe me!...

Edited by Nunagoras

On 7/18/2022 at 10:40 AM, Gatordad1967 said:

Get over yourself.  The Yacht Club doesn't want you either.

This is why CC is losing posters.  Snarky people post without adding anything meaningful to the conversation.  I guess they feel better when they insult and denigrate others.  What a sad way to live.

20 minutes ago, Nashna said:

This is why CC is losing posters.  Snarky people post without adding anything meaningful to the conversation.  I guess they feel better when they insult and denigrate others.  What a sad way to live.

You called passengers "steerage".  Maybe it is time to look in the mirror.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Nashna said:

You're the one who insulted me...and everyone else who knows the value of a dollar!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Gatordad1967 said:

Don't look.  Because in the DR in YC, I wear shorts.  

Depite the fact that you are politely asked NOT to wear shorts in the Yacht Club dining room?  That's part of the orientation.  If you don't want to wear pants in the YC restaurant, there are other places to dine.  Just saying.

Edited by HipHipOnAShip
  • Like 2

(Trying to keep the thread on-topic...)

What is the dress code onboard Explora Journeys?

We don't have a dress code onboard but we suggest an Elegant Resort Casual style.

How many formal nights are on my Journey, and what type of clothing is worn?

There are no formal nights.    

Are children permitted aboard Explora Journey’s ships? If yes, is there a special rate?

We happily welcome our younger guests onboard Explora Journeys. During the usual school and seasonal holidays, we offer a special children's programme for our Little Explorers. As regarding our fares: infants between 6 months and 2 years of age sail for free;  children and young adults up to the age of 18 will be eligible for additional savings of up to 50%.

Edited by Two Wheels Only

7 minutes ago, HipHipOnAShip said:

Depite the fact that you are politely asked NOT to wear shorts in the Yacht Club dining room?  That's part of the orientation.  If you don't want to wear pants in the YC restaurant, there are other places to dine.  Just saying.

If the quality of your meal suffers because I'm wearing dress shorts, there are other other places to dine.  Just saying.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gatordad1967 said:

If the quality of your meal suffers because I'm wearing dress shorts, there are other other places to dine.  Just saying.

Actually my EXPERIENCE DOES suffer because it angers me that some people think that they are "too good" to follow the polite rules of ladies and gentlemen dressing like ladies and gentlemen.   I can't stand it when shorts-wearing folks try to intimidate the Maitre' D from enforcing the cruise line's request.   But then I guess it's ok to wear a ball cap at dinner too?  Maybe some flip flops to match? But maybe that's formal attire in Gainesville 🙂

• Like 2

It was the shorts and t-shirt brigade, in our experience, that had the ‘problem’ with us dressing up for dinner on, what were named, ‘Gala’ nights. I don’t comment on what you wear, but please extend me the same courtesy. 

Edited by Beamafar
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

It was the shorts and t-shirt brigade, in our experience, that had the ‘problem’ with us dressing up for dinner on, what were named, ‘Gala’ nights. I don’t comment on what you wear, but please extend me the same courtesy. 

I am a shorts and polo brigade.  And I say, you do you......

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gatordad1967 said:

What the heck are dress shorts?  As opposed to what other kind of shorts?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HipHipOnAShip said:
5 hours ago, Gatordad1967 said:

Actually my EXPERIENCE DOES suffer because it angers me that some people think that they are "too good" to follow the polite rules of ladies and gentlemen dressing like ladies and gentlemen.   I can't stand it when shorts-wearing folks try to intimidate the Maitre' D from enforcing the cruise line's request.   But then I guess it's ok to wear a ball cap at dinner too?  Maybe some flip flops to match? But maybe that's formal attire in Gainesville 🙂

Please do not suffer or get angry. We just laugh. Akin to observing those with those same shorts worn so low that their derrieres are exposed. Many of these are adolescents, still. Perhaps it is a product of our times. Millennials, those 26 to 41, "are worse off than their parents, a first in American History."( Jan. 11, 2020 CNN)

"A big part of the American dream is that each generation will do better than the one that preceded it," said David Grusky, a sociology professor at Stanford and one of the authors of the second study, which was published in the journal Science in 2017. "That has been part of what's supposed to make this country special and distinctive. When it's just a coin flip, we're not living up to that commitment. It's a pretty fundamental part of what we say this country can deliver and we're not."  And so this is just a response. I'm sure we all enjoyed the same scene in "Blues Brothers" when Jake and Elroy visited a fine restaurant. They knew what they were doing and so does this bunch.

• Like 2