What's one thing HAL does that other lines do not (what not to miss)

LMaxwell

On 7/21/2022 at 9:45 PM, LMaxwell said:

Yeah I had heard there's some kind of chocolate dessert night…

@LMaxwellOh, back in the day HAL was famous for their Dutch Chocolate Extravaganza, held at the Lido pool on a formal night! My, my, there were chocolate desserts of many varieties to be found on tables lined all around the pool and it was quite impressive, even if some sailings it was rather late at night.

This changed a number of years ago. I’m not sure about now but before the pandemic, in the Music Walk and other lounges, stewards would carry small trays of bite-sized chocolate desserts one night of the cruise (e.g., a chocolate-covered marshmallow or strawberry). I’m not sure how many varieties of desserts were available but at the most I saw 4, though there were likely more. Several times the tray ran out before it got to me. I’d like to hope the distribution might be more efficient now if this is still done.

I haven’t sailed since 2019, but up until that time, we could always get some crispy chocolate bites on the coffee table in the Explorer’s Lounge after dinner each night while musicians were playing. When I first started sailing, they’d even have creme brulee and/or other desserts available there.

I’d love to see the Dutch Chocolate Extravaganza brought back, it was special.

Edited by syesmar
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

…Can’t eat chocolate at night😖

I hear you! Perhaps if a sailing had a Sea Day, the old Dutch Chocolate Extravaganza would’ve been better timed in the afternoon or earlier in the evening (but the special teas or luncheons were usually that afternoon, so it would’ve been a conflict). So much food, so little time.😉

@LMaxwellI just looked at a recent “When & Where” daily, and “Chocolate Surprise” was held on the final evening beginning at 8:30pm in Billboard Onboard.

Edited by syesmar
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/20/2022 at 4:38 PM, AKJonesy said:

Hard for me to know because I only sail on HAL.  But, I do love the promenade deck on MOST of the ships.  I have met so many people on the promenade deck while I have been walking around.  On one cruise, I met this funny couple who were counting the number of laps I did.  We became instant friends after.  I think we were on Rotterdam this spring and the promenade deck INCLUDES the lifeboats which I didn't like because no more deck chairs and parts of the promenade is very narrow.  I have also been completely alone on the promenade at times and it was as if the whole ship was mine.  

I too like the outdoor promenade with the chairs and being close to the water.

So some of the newer NCL ships have what is called WATERFRONT and on both sides will be areas to sit as well as table and chairs for some restaurants.  It goes around the stern but not the bow.

check it out if looking for something different and NCL has really good tasting desserts too.

Another vote for The Dutch Cafe and the different types of music which are available on Music Walk on the three Pinnacle Class ships. A word of warning though, as mentioned elsewhere, that BB Kings is being watered down with not much blues being played, having been substituted by

boring (to me) repetitive soul music. Classical, pianos and a rock

band remain to provide a pretty decent choice of music, although it would be even better with a proper Blues Band.

19 hours ago, montythecat said:

Another vote for The Dutch Cafe and the different types of music which are available on Music Walk on the three Pinnacle Class ships. A word of warning though, as mentioned elsewhere, that BB Kings is being watered down with not much blues being played, having been substituted by

boring (to me) repetitive soul music. Classical, pianos and a rock

band remain to provide a pretty decent choice of music, although it would be even better with a proper Blues Band.

I made the same BB Kings complaint on our last post cruise questionnaire. 

One thing I have loved on HAL's dining room menu is the fact that they have absolutely delicious fruit crisps at dinnertime.  The fruit changes daily, some days you won't even see them on the menu, but ask and you shall receive!  A scoop of vanilla ice cream on top of the warm crisp - I know what I'll be ordering in a bit more than three weeks!  ....IF I have any room left!  (On Nieuw Statendam 28 August/11 September)

• Like 2