Seattle- Mt Rainier NP

futureAG

Hi All! We are coming in 2days before our cruise and hope to make our way to MT Rainier NP to also check that off our NP list while we are so close.  Any tips on which entry to use, best visitor center for Junior Ranger workbook and Badges, best/favorite hiking trails for family, or awesome drives with epic view payoffs??  I'm not sure why it seems that  Rainier NP isn't  talked about very much. I'll admit when we were in Seattle for our Honeymoon cruise, I didn't even realize it was a NP! being from Oklahoma we also couldn't figure out why people were so excited that "the mountain was out" 😂   It seemed that was all anyone in Seattle was talking about that day!  Anyway, any tip, trick or links to info blogs are much appreciated! 

Mt. Rainier National Park is beautiful!  One of my favorites that we’ve visited.  We drove up from Portland and used the Nisqually Entrance Station.  Even from Seattle, I think this would be the one you’d want.  The drive in is stunning, with teasing glimpses of the mountain through the forest.  We hiked the Grove of the Patriarchs, which looks like it is currently closed, but was a easy and nice hike.  Our kids were 8 and 5 at the time.  

We drove into Paradise, which has a great visitor center and will have what you need for junior rangers. We also hiked the Nisqually Vista Trail, which was an easy hike with great scenery.  The views of the mountain from this area are fantastic.  

Enjoy!

• Like 1

As stated, try to avoid weekends if at all possible.  If it's unavoidable, then since you're coming from Oklahoma and will have body clocks that are a couple of hours ahead of ours, capitalize on that by getting as early a start as possible.  Head for the Nisqually entrance to the national park, then to the visitor center at Paradise.  Be sure to continue east along the Stevens Canyon Road a short distance to the pullouts for viewing the Reflection Lakes, one of the real scenic highlights of the park.  Map - https://goo.gl/maps/2iWkNP2zotByEVe3A

At the lakes - 

20120903_677s.jpg

Edited to add - before leaving for the park, check out the NPS webcams for current conditions.  It's not uncommon for the mountain to be socked in, even during the summer months.  I'd have a "plan B" in mind just in case...  Webcams - Mount Rainier National Park (U.S. National Park Service) (nps.gov)

Also for the workbook and badge earner, don't overlook the Klondike Gold Rush NP's Seattle exhibit, important since you'll be heading (presumably) to Skagway for your cruise.  Klondike Gold Rush - Seattle Unit National Historical Park (U.S. National Park Service) (nps.gov)

Edited by Gardyloo
  • Thanks 1

Fellow Okie here!  We flew into Seattle, rented a Hertz car at the airport and drove down to Puyallup where we spent the night (nice town).  Entered the NP in the morning from the south, exited it late afternoon from the north and spent that night in a Hyatt Place not far from the Space Needle.  Returned the car at the hotel.  Next day we took the monorail into town (for $1) and did the typical tourist stops.  Hyatt Place van picked us up near Pikes Market. 

Next morning took a taxi for the short ride to the cruise ship at Pier 91.

• Like 2

On 7/21/2022 at 9:53 AM, psuboater said:

Even living here, we never tire of the mountain being out! It's about a 2 hour drive from Seattle down to Mt. Rainier National Park. Not sure what day you plan on going, but mid-week will be best. Here's some tips to avoid summer congestion: https://www.nps.gov/mora/planyourvisit/congestion.htm

Thursday is our only day. We fly in Wed & our ship leaves on Friday. 

I would go to Puyallup on Wednesday, spent the night or if you got into Sea-Tac early  drive to Eatonville and spend the night. There's a lot to do and see up there.

We go to Mt. Rainier a lot. We live 45 miles away so it's pretty handy. We like to go up for a picnic dinner a couple of times a month at one of the campgrounds in the summer. Believe it or not, I used to work with people who had never been to Mt. Rainier NP, they were born and raised in the Puget Sound area.

• Like 1