Huge fare difference: BTB vs two separate bookings

david,Mississauga

I have often seen some big differences in booking two consecutive voyages separately vs as one voyage. As a point of interest I was looking at the autumn Québec-NY-Southampton voyage. I am booked on the first segment and was considering booking the second segment. 

If booking the two segments as one voyage the pp minimum fare for an inside is CAN$3444 and for an obstructed view balcony it is $4721. The first segment costs $1210 inside and $1225 for obstructed view balcony. The second segment is $1146 and $1530 respectively.

By booking separately the saving for an inside is $1088 pp and for the balcony it is $1966. There is a good chance you would have to change cabins between the segments, but for this saving I would think it was worth it. On one trip I managed to get the same cabin for both segments and saved some, but nothing like this.  I have not seen a difference this large before, although I am sure it has happened.  

50 minutes ago, david,Mississauga said:

I have often seen some big differences in booking two consecutive voyages separately vs as one voyage. As a point of interest I was looking at the autumn Québec-NY-Southampton voyage. I am booked on the first segment and was considering booking the second segment. 

If booking the two segments as one voyage the pp minimum fare for an inside is CAN$3444 and for an obstructed view balcony it is $4721. The first segment costs $1210 inside and $1225 for obstructed view balcony. The second segment is $1146 and $1530 respectively.

By booking separately the saving for an inside is $1088 pp and for the balcony it is $1966. There is a good chance you would have to change cabins between the segments, but for this saving I would think it was worth it. On one trip I managed to get the same cabin for both segments and saved some, but nothing like this.  I have not seen a difference this large before, although I am sure it has happened.  

Airline styled capacity/demand pricing can on occasion result in it really harming the carrier to the delight of the passenger. Grab it while it is still live.

I see what you mean, @david,Mississauga. As you say, sometimes it's possible to come out ahead booking individual segments, but that's an unusually big difference in this case. I think what may account for the big savings when booking Quebec-New York-Southampton as two separate segments is that those individual segments are being offered under the "Sailing Soon Savings" promotion. When booking as a single voyage, I'm only offered the higher "Cunard Fare". I don't know why booking the single voyage doesn't qualify for the "Sailing Soon Savings" promotion.

Edited by bluemarble

I saved £50 per person booking a 4 night Southampton - Hamburg - Southampton QG cabin as 2 separate trips.  I was able to book the same stateroom both ways so no need to move.  Also means I will get the $50 shareholder credit twice, this will count as 2 trips for world club status, and a second bottle of ‘welcome on board’ champagne!  Hopefully I’ll be able to pick another 2 bottles of spirits too… 🙂  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, david,Mississauga said:

As Se1lad confirmed, one can book the same stateroom, with Cunard Fare, so no need to move and gaining 2 amounts of OBC.   Sadly, by booking two voyages as a b2b, it appears one will receive two bottles of PA

Edited by PORT ROYAL
OBC
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, bluemarble said:

I see what you mean, @david,Mississauga. As you say, sometimes it's possible to come out ahead booking individual segments, but that's an unusually big difference in this case. I think what may account for the big savings when booking Quebec-New York-Southampton as two separate segments is that those individual segments are being offered under the "Sailing Soon Savings" promotion. When booking as a single voyage, I'm only offered the higher "Cunard Fare". I don't know why booking the single voyage doesn't qualify for the "Sailing Soon Savings" promotion.

Thanks, bluemarble, for noticing this. I missed that.

Five years ago we had booked the Québec-NY voyage long in advance.  Several months later we decided we would go on to England so added the second segment. Although we saved a little over what we would have paid had we booked it as a single trip, the best benefit was getting the extra segment which put us at the Diamond level of the club.

We also received invitations to the three receptions for the second segment as well as the first. But we were not given an additional bottle of P.A. which was a relief. (We had obtained some real bubbly in Halifax.)

Although it is tempting to book a crossing in an obstructed view cabin for a mere Can. $1500 - and  there are two available cabins located between life boats which I know from experience is good - we have decided not to go overseas this year. We would have to fly home to Toronto. The airport and airline situation may be more tolerable by October, but it doesn't sound appealing.

3 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

As Se1lad confirmed, one can book the same stateroom, with Cunard Fare, so no need to move and gaining 2 amounts of OBC.   Sadly, by booking two voyages as a b2b, it appears one will receive two bottles of PA

Fortunately in QG we will also receive two bottles of Laurent Perrier! 🙂 

2 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

I've often booked a longer voyage as separate segments and have received multiples of most of the benefits. I can confirm what @david,Mississauga has reported that I've never received more than one of the Welcome Aboard Pol Acker though.

I’ve spoken to a few people who have done back to backs and have been advised you may need to give your butler or steward a nudge to receive the additional bottle.

2 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

My bad… VC it should be… But now LP … is it Rose?

If a recall correctly, in May I received a bottle of Laurent Perrier Brut NV.  Half way through the crossing a bottle of Pol Acker appeared too!