The Odyssey, on-the-sea, part II. (Alaska)

shark b8

Great!  There have been a number of people responding on this thread who indicated they had Odyssey voyages coming up…since we’re obvs off the ship now I would love to hand anyone the relay baton on this thread and ask them to report experiences, post pics, tell stories.

Edited by shark b8

I’m sure I don’t need to tell most on this forum about the Banff Springs. Grand old dame.  There’s a wonderful room with great sepia pictures of the history. And lots of clues about that,  just to be seen everywhere.

1F484006-0A59-4390-836F-785062572FBE.thumb.jpeg.49e50f6b134e29c980b650288970d575.jpeg

2B7B9F47-BC21-4F1B-9978-C66A39BE7E15.thumb.jpeg.62126d9e301b734de013402b7a5e3ab2.jpeg

C9F0BF6C-BCFC-4AAB-BF92-C824E5C59633.thumb.jpeg.1f646e811d9a4cfd324d7e88a6b94196.jpeg

• Like 4

@Sharkb8 We are boarding the Rocky Mountaineer in Vancouver in early September. On their website, updated today, it says that face coverings are required on board the train while on Canadian routes, except, of course, while eating or drinking. Was that your experience? 

Thanks!

Per the shark’s request…

We’re currently in Juneau, meaning the trip is already half over 😳.  It is sunny with a few clouds, so we are missing out on the 3 inches of rain that they had the other day.  Inian islands by zodiac was great, even with mist and some rain.  Saw a momma sea otter carrying her pup on her belly-cute!!! And some puffins and lots of sea lions…. Recommended even at 6:30 am.

btw: the jackets are waterproof and lined so we kept warm even in a light rain.  It has been warm enough that most of the time I just use my light weight rain jacket instead.  BRING RAIN PANTS!!!  (Just a useful hint).

We made up our own whale-watch, bear watch excursion:  At Icy Straights we enjoyed the breaching whale while eating lunch at the Colonade, then watched the brown bear at the shore later on.  We asked about bears while on shore and the girl working the gift shop said “it rained this morning-so you won’t see them”. Then she told us about the time she and her sister had to curl up in a ball while the brown bear sniffed her.  She was 12 at the time…

The Hubbard Glacier only calved about 15 times while we were there.  😉 I got a few on video but the file is 200 mbytes.  

Our first cruise in 3 years - so far it has been great.  315 of us on the way up, 351 staff!  Staff has been great.  Ate at E&O half the time, even when it rained (we were covered and they had slow roasted lamb shank)

Zero complaints.  Comparable to our experience on the Quest 3 years ago.  Great to be out again.

D

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, JRJTG said:

@Sharkb8 Rocky Mountaineer….On their website, updated today, it says that face coverings are required on board the train while on Canadian routes, except, of course, while eating or drinking. Was that your experience? 

Yes, that’s still the guidance on the website, and that’s been our experience (we’re about ½ way through the whole enchilada).  But here’s the thing: each carriage has 1 or 2 main RM reps, they serve as guides on the PA system, explaining stuff to see, answering questions, directing traffic at mealtime, etc.  Our guide(s) made the mandatory statement about masks at the beginning, and everyone obliged.  But in the first two full days on the train, I never saw a guide go up to anyone to remind them of the mask thing, and, let’s face it, it’s easy to forget to re-mask here and there.  Point being, I would imagine there might be some carriage guides who take the mask-thing more seriously, and some who are more laissez faire.  Your mileage may vary.  Have a great time, JRJTG!

3 hours ago, DTtravelers said:

Per the shark’s request…

Ate at E&O half the time, even when it rained (we were covered and they had slow roasted lamb shank)

Zero complaints.  Comparable to our experience on the Quest 3 years ago.  Great to be out again.

D

What a great day you have had.  Slow roasted lamb shanks are the very favorite meal we have ever had on Seabourn--but it was in the MDR.  I can't wait to have them again.  

9 hours ago, shark b8 said:

Yes, that’s still the guidance on the website, and that’s been our experience (we’re about ½ way through the whole enchilada).  But here’s the thing: each carriage has 1 or 2 main RM reps, they serve as guides on the PA system, explaining stuff to see, answering questions, directing traffic at mealtime, etc.  Our guide(s) made the mandatory statement about masks at the beginning, and everyone obliged.  But in the first two full days on the train, I never saw a guide go up to anyone to remind them of the mask thing, and, let’s face it, it’s easy to forget to re-mask here and there.  Point being, I would imagine there might be some carriage guides who take the mask-thing more seriously, and some who are more laissez faire.  Your mileage may vary.  Have a great time, JRJTG!

When we were on the RM in the end of May, the guides told everyone that mask was required when moving around the carriage, but optional at the seats. I do see them politely reminding passengers once in a while, and the passengers all complied. But, it was several months ago, and things may have changed. Enjoy your trip.

So, for those more interested in the “mechanics” of this trip, here’s the basic itinerary (we’re heading into the home stretch, 2nd night in LL tonight). The bus trips are considerably less fun than the train of course, but c’est la guerre):

train trip 1: train from Vancouver to Kamloops, overnight there

train trip 2: train from Kamloops to Banff, three nights there

bus from Banff to Lake Louise, two nights there

bus from Lake Louise to Jasper, two nights there

train trip 3: Jasper to Whistler, one night there

train trip 4: Whistler to Vancouver, last night there

Edited by shark b8
  • Like 4

14 minutes ago, shark b8 said:

train trip 3: Jasper to Whistler, one night there

train trip 4: Whistler to Vancouver, last night there

I thought the trip from Jasper to Whistler has a stop for one night at Quesnel, and then another night at Whistler?

51 minutes ago, shark b8 said:

Absolutely right, CalmSea, I cheated us out of a night in Quesnel.  Thanks!  (would you like to be my travel agent?). 😎

Shark. No, no, no. I would be the worst TA ever. After our RM trip this year, we are interested in completing the loop next year and do the 3 day RM trip from Jasper to Vancouver. So, your itinerary looked odd. I thought RM has changed their routing. We will be very interested in your photos and comments regarding the second half of your RM journey.

2 hours ago, DTtravelers said:

Enjoying a little Woodford Reserve on 10,000 year old glacier ice.  😁

oh, what I wouldn’t give for a horizontal glacier-ice-bourbon-tasting, DT.  Woodford, Buffalo Trace, Elijah Craig, Basil Hayden, Maker’s, Eagle Rare.   Drifting off to sleep in Lake Louise, just dreaming about it…..🥱 🥃

• Like 1