SELF-ASSIST EARLY DEPARTURE

6 minutes ago, QuickieGlenn said:

I have never done this on Royal only NCL

Does it work in the same way

Get up early and get in line with your luggage?

Pretty much but the time slots may vary by ship/itinerary. On our recent 4-nighter on Indy (2nd half of a B2B really), the first 10 or so time slots were assigned as self-assist since so many use it on short cruises I assume (I've only ever been on one cruise shorts than 7-nights before this). Self-assist ran from 7-8am or thereabouts.

basically, yes.  A couple of days before debarkation, the ship has you fill out a form with your flight/departure plans.  You will receive a schedule based on your response.  There will be a time & door location for self-departure.  Grab your bags and get in line until customs release everyone.

Pretty much. Breakfast in the Windjammer is open early, so you can go eat and get back to your cabin before they announce debarkation is open. There are people who bring their luggage to breakfast, but that's not necessary.

Then you go to deck 4 or 5, whichever, and find the line to get off.  

Easy-peasy.

We were on Mariner last month and found ourselves in group #1 but the line went into the dining room, all the way around and out again.  They called group one and everyone in line got off the ship.  Took only a few minutes.  Organized chaos.  A crew member was initially checking what group people were in but eventually gave up.

1 minute ago, Diver2014 said:

We were on Mariner last month and found ourselves in group #1 but the line went into the dining room, all the way around and out again.  They called group one and everyone in line got off the ship.  Took only a few minutes.  Organized chaos.  A crew member was initially checking what group people were in but eventually gave up.

Group #1 is not self-departure, is it?  They don't have numbers, and they can leave up to an hour before groups get called.

On Serenade two weeks ago, we did not fill out anything, just left when they announced that self-assist could leave the ship.

The MDR was open early, so we partook our breakfast there.  Left our bags in the cabin while we ate.

Note that the elevators going down (our departure point was Deck 2) were packed.

21 minutes ago, flamingos said:

Group #1 is not self-departure, is it?  They don't have numbers, and they can leave up to an hour before groups get called.

It varies by ship/itinerary. As I mentioned above, the first 10 or so numbered groups were actually self-assist on Indy this past Friday.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, flamingos said:

Self assist did not have numbers on Quantum.  It left the hour before the numbers started.

• Like 1

Yup.  Find the line and join it.

If you are adventurous, get up by 6am, go down to whatever deck is being used (varies by ship) and park with your bags wherever theres a seat...  any later than that and the elevators get too busy.  My wife and I take turns bag watching while the other grabs breakfast at WJ.

Edited by Lane Hog

13 hours ago, flamingos said:

They gave us luggage tags that said 'Group 1'.   And yes, it was self departure.  I think more than half the ship was self departure judging from the number of people in line with their luggage. I think every ship does it a little differently.  When we were on Harmony a few years ago, we did self departure (because we drive to the port) and we were just in line with no numbers, as you say.

• Like 1