What's in mini bar

drafterdw

We are going to be on the Favolosa in Nov. and are trying to decide if we should upgrade our drink package. Since the mini bar is included in upgrade this might impact my decision.  Also, does anyone know how much a bottle of water cost since the plan I am on only includes 1 a day and I drink 5-6?

This is what Costa wrote on another website: 

"All our guests receive in their minibar bottles of beer, soda, juice, and water. Our Preferred Club guests receive extra M&Ms, Pringles and small bottles of liqueur. All our guests enjoy 24-hours room service and minibar refill."

This is what I've read....

The 24-hour room service is $9.95 an order if you aren't in a suite.   

I read on another thread water was 2 Euro each so 2 dollars each also for now.    Don't know if this is true or not.

Also, I read someone's thread and they suggested you bring your own water bottle and refill it with the ship's water though there are apparently times when the water is not available and there were some complaints about the water quality (which is crazy for a cruise ship).  Having sailed on so many other mainstream ships, this does seem odd to me but I suppose we'll find out.  We have the premium package because I drink iced tea and water all day and my husband drinks alcohol.  I would be concerned if I couldn't find water and some of the reviews really rip Costa apart for this so I'm hoping that's not the case on our cruise.  We shall see  🙂

my cruise offers the following option to book:

Bottled Mineral Water Package:

A reasonable and very convenient package with 13 bottles of mineral water (1 lt.). To be enjoyed during the meals on board or at any time of the day. On a Costa cruise we think of everything: even helping you to select healthy options!
Ideal for:
Guests who like to drink water at mealtimes and throughout the day and want the convenience of a bottle to take with them. at Euro 39.00 - so that will make it Euro 3 per liter bottle as a special price. I think I have seen a drinks-pricelist and it was Euro 3.50 on there.

Yikes.  It's just so strange that a ship charges for WATER.   That is a steep price for one bottle of water.   I've seen TV shows on cruise ships built even 10 years ago and their water quality far exceeds any water you can get on land or in a bottle... so it's so odd that Costa's water isn't drinkable? or is it?  

I am pretty sure it is drinkable, I have seen people fill up their own bottles from the water-dispenser on the buffet and doubt that water is bottled water filled into the large containers. Will be checking it out when onboard 🙂. It might be desalinated filtered water, as long as it is drinkable and tastes good I am sure I will enjoy quite a few bottles during the 4 month cruise.

Edited by BVILady
forgot somethind

Nothing wrong with the water onboard. We have had many glasses of it at the water dispensers in the buffet and our glasses are always readily topped up in the MDR.

I think that I'm correct in saying that there are also 10 x 500ml bottles included in the My Drinks package although it might actually be one a day. I can't remember the exact amount.

There is no issue with you bringing water onboard either. We would often bring a couple of large bottles on with us after a day ashore. (much cheaper)

As for mini bars, there wasn't one at all in our Firenze cabin.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/31/2022 at 12:08 PM, CupKayke said:

Yikes.  It's just so strange that a ship charges for WATER.   That is a steep price for one bottle of water.   I've seen TV shows on cruise ships built even 10 years ago and their water quality far exceeds any water you can get on land or in a bottle... so it's so odd that Costa's water isn't drinkable? or is it?  

We travel in a suite so always get the premium drinks included.  I don't like to use plastic so apart from sparkly water from a bottle I drink water out of the tap.  I have never had a problem on any cruise line including costa drinking water from the tap.

• 2 weeks later...

Good to know.  I've also used the water from the taps on all previous cruise lines.   There are some reviews here on CCritic saying this is not possible on Costa and the water is brown/rusty colored.  Of course, some of the reviews are horrendous.  I find people like to complain more than praise so I'm taking them with a grain of salt. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/25/2022 at 1:05 AM, drafterdw said:

We are going to be on the Favolosa in Nov. and are trying to decide if we should upgrade our drink package. Since the mini bar is included in upgrade this might impact my decision.  Also, does anyone know how much a bottle of water cost since the plan I am on only includes 1 a day and I drink 5-6?

😁 I booked as well for the Favolosa 7.11. The drinking package would cost nearly the same as I paid for 2 Person for the whole cruise. I think I will just buy the 13 x 1l water package ^^

The beverage package at Costa is incredibly expensive, don't you think?

Edited by Aeroplex

On 7/30/2022 at 10:08 PM, CupKayke said:

It must be that I am just always in too cheap a cabin category but every time I went on an excursion on HAL, Princess, P+O we had to pay for our bottled water. Only on MSC we didn't because we were on a drink-package. So to me that seems that if you have no drink-package you pay for water, having a package you have already paid for it. So not sure why everyone is making such a big deal about Costa charging for water, when the others do it also.

On 9/16/2022 at 1:13 PM, Aeroplex said:

😁 I booked as well for the Favolosa 7.11. The drinking package would cost nearly the same as I paid for 2 Person for the whole cruise. I think I will just buy the 13 x 1l water package ^^

The beverage package at Costa is incredibly expensive, don't you think?

our reg. drink pkg. was included in some promotion we booked thru. 

20 hours ago, Dancer Bob said:

There is a thread on the Princess board about drinking water on ships. Costa uses exactly the same equipment as everybody else.

I have stayed at European resorts where you paid for water if you didn't have a drink package.

it was my understanding that in dining room if they gave you water in a glass they charged for it....I don"t mind paying for bottled water. I also have never been on a ship with a drink package where they limit your water to 1 bottle. i have always been able to get as many as I want. 

• 6 months later...
On 7/27/2022 at 5:09 PM, CupKayke said:

This is what Costa wrote on another website: 

"All our guests receive in their minibar bottles of beer, soda, juice, and water. Our Preferred Club guests receive extra M&Ms, Pringles and small bottles of liqueur. All our guests enjoy 24-hours room service and minibar refill."

I really am none the wiser for this. I am in a similar position to the OP. I am trying to decide between the 'My Drinks' and 'My Drinks Plus' drinks packages, or none at all. Translating to British English I have:

beer = lager

soda = pop (carbonated, sugary drinks)

juice = fruit juice or just fake fruit juice?

liqueur? "a very sweet alcoholic drink" such as Amaretto, Cointreau or Baileys, or a 'spirit' such as gin, brandy or whisky? 

Then "Preferred Club", mmm. Do they mean members of the Costa 'C|Club' or something else? There is no 'Preferred' tier of the C|Club only Blue, Bronze, Silver, Gold and Platinum tiers.

It is about as foggy an answer as could be. The question remains

What does the upgraded, 'My Drinks Plus', drinks package get you in the minibar?

When we talk about minibars in the cabin - it was said that Costa Firenze has no minibars in cabins (below suites). The same on Costa Toscana (and probably Smeralda - but I am not sure; have experience only on Firence and Toscana/balcony cabin on both).

We just got off Costa Fortuna in South America a couple of weeks ago (March 18th I believe).  We had a suite and we had unlimited drinks plus with the suite (it came with it) and our "Mini Bar" was underwhelming.  There were NEVER any snacks, M&Ms, pringles, or any food whatsoever.  The fridge had Coke, Coke Zero, Sprite, Fanta (orange), and some sorta of horrible lemon/ginger tea soda and mango/tea soda (and I looooove tea).  Oh, it also had two Heinekens in cans in it.  He asked what we wanted refilled.  We chose the Coke, Coke Zero, Fanta and Sprite.  He left the Heinekens but we never drank them.  I told him please don't put those teas back in there.  That's all the mini bar had - NO small bottles of liquer anywhere on this ship.

However, the Drinks Plus service was immaculate.  We could go to any bar, all day long, ask for two double vodkas on the rocks, a Sprite or Fanta in a can, and walk away.  ALL. DAY. LONG.  NEVER had an issue getting anything we wanted to drink. 

We could get a small bottle of water or a GIANT liter bottle of water at almost any bar all day long, too.  I did this only once because we our Butler left four bottles of water in our room daily.  At breakfast, lunch, and dinner, they served us cold water in glasses - which they filled with bottled water in front of us. 

Edited by CupKayke

Also, the water on the ship was clean and I never saw anything rusty and we brushed our teeth with it and didn't think twice. I felt like the ship was just like any Carnival ship except long overdue for a rehab which it's about to get this fall.  

• 4 months later...
6 hours ago, Miguelito79 said:

So once again about this minibar that comes with My Drinks Plus.

Yes!

Does it include a Red Bull?

Never seen it aboard, but never searched for it.

Only two small cans of beer at the time?

Space is limited, you can ask to fill beer only of course.

And how do I get refill?

Steward or butler look after it, depends on cabin. Normally done when the cabin is cleaned, otherwise you may ask of course.

Is the refill included for free?

In My Drinks Plus yes, otherwise you pay as you go.

• Like 1

And again the water myths. Let‘s have a look at the facts:

Everybody: tap water is free from dispensers and in the cabin. EU drinking water safetey rules apply, since Costa sails under Italian flag! That taste and minerals aren‘t the same as with bottled mineral water might be obvious.

My Drinks: tap water plus as many mineral water (out of the bottle) served by the glas as one can drink plus a ½ litre bottle water every day.

My Drinks Plus: as My Drinks, just no limit on the water bottles regarding size and number.

Package Water USA (those who booked there): included mineral water in the restaurants.

Of course Costa serves in the MDR - as every restaurant in Italy - mineral water, not tap water.

In My Drinks package drinks in the minibar are not included, not sure about My Drinks Plus My friend had everything taken out of the minibar and put the things into it, which she wanted to have handy in her cabin, but picked up from the bar and some fruits. I am planning to do the same on my next cruise. Maybe take along an insulated cup with cover if I want to keep anything cold which comes in a glass. Thanks to the member who just put up the current price lists for drinks I have decided now to add My Drinks to my booking. Most drinks I usually pick are E 9.30 - so the upgrade should pay for itself 😄So if you like Red Bull, pick it up at the bar and put it in your fridge. Not sure what comes in a can - therefore the insulated cup for me, but wouldn't work for fizzy drinks.

Yes, in My Drinks minibar items are not included, only in Plus. My Drinks allows drinks by the glass only with the exception of the daily bottle of water.

25 minutes ago, BVILady said:

My friend had everything taken out of the minibar and put the things into it, which she wanted to have handy in her cabin, but picked up from the bar and some fruits

Fruits! That’s an alternative! I already confused a steward when I put into the fridge my welcome bottle prosecco and said that there would no need to fill the minibar, because there was no space left. But also this works.