Monkeypox

Hi. I'm in NY, and monkey pox is spreading fast here, too.  I think it's only a matter of time until we see cases being reported after a cruise. Though I don't know that we'll see a lot of cases on a cruise since incubation is 1-2 weeks before the onset of symptoms. Congratulations on getting your first dose of the vaccine!  I got mine last week. It seems like in the short term having just the first dose offers fast protection.  The 2nd dose is to maintain long term protection after 2 years. 

https://www.science.org/content/article/there-s-shortage-monkeypox-vaccine-could-one-dose-instead-two-suffice

• Like 2

On 7/26/2022 at 8:34 AM, Cruisegoer said:

I'm assuming you're referring to a gay cruise where sex is more openly promoted and expected?

No.Mainly go on mainstream cruises.In my opinion dangerous also.

On 7/28/2022 at 11:24 AM, Cruisegoer said:

Well unless your rubbing up on someone on a mainstream cruise I don't see what the risk is. 

You realize it's not an STD right?  any skin to skin contact, even prolonged contact with fabric/towels/bedding can spread it.  And it may also be spread by air ( they are still studying). 

Any one can get it, and its not just thru sex, so don't use this as an excurse to demonize the gay community ( again). 

• Like 5

https://www.cdc.gov/poxvirus/monkeypox/transmission.html

I’ve read and researched.  And I remember how HIV/AIDs started and spread. And how it was characterized and how that kept funding down, and how it demonized gay men.  How something starts and is portrayed is not the full story.  ( I’m queer and my straight, married dad died of AIDs early on and got no support and had to hide it from neighbors).   I don’t want to see a repeat of the “it’s just a gay disease”  mentality being pushed. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 8/6/2022 at 12:22 PM, Tura Lura said:

https://www.cdc.gov/poxvirus/monkeypox/transmission.html

I’ve read and researched.  And I remember how HIV/AIDs started and spread. And how it was characterized and how that kept funding down, and how it demonized gay men.  How something starts and is portrayed is not the full story.  ( I’m queer and my straight, married dad died of AIDs early on and got no support and had to hide it from neighbors).   I don’t want to see a repeat of the “it’s just a gay disease”  mentality being pushed. 

I’m not sure what happens on your cruises but on a straight Celebrity cruise, like the one I just disembarked, I didn’t happen to rub up on anyone purposely or by accident.  I’m not sure what you wear or how close you like to creep up on someone in Covid times but ICK! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cruisegoer said:

I’m not sure what happens on your cruises but on a straight Celebrity cruise, like the one I just disembarked, I didn’t happen to rub up on anyone purposely or by accident.  I’m not sure what you wear or how close you like to creep up on someone in Covid times but ICK! 

If you read the CDC guidelines  - it points out that Monkey Pox can be transferred by rubbing against fabrics & people(amoung other things).....

Gay or straight has nothing to do with it...

a friend who is a Dr in Ft Lauderdale called yesterday & told me  that their board of health has vaccines but is not promoting it enough (this is in the Broward & Dade counties).... as one of the biggest cruise departure & arrival ports in the world you would think this would be a priority...before the spread gets even more out of control.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cruisegoer said:

Yeah you really missed the point, but I’ll be happy not to rub against you ever. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 8/6/2022 at 12:22 PM, Tura Lura said:

I don’t want to see a repeat of the “it’s just a gay disease”  mentality being pushed. 

I agree with you and that's what I thought when I first saw monkeypox and LGBT. Unfortunately, I think we're seeing a repeat of "it's just a gay disease" though. 

13 hours ago, RICHARD@SEA said:

If you read the CDC guidelines  - it points out that Monkey Pox can be transferred by rubbing against fabrics & people(amoung other things).....

I agree with you completely. I'm just taking to sources and pointing out that in order for me to get a vaccine from NYS (a fairly [very] liberal place, I need to affirm that I had a close contact or get on Grindr/go to the clubs and wake up in a different bed quite often. That's not me - so under current guidelines I am not eligible for a shot. 

Now think of all the housewives, and husbands....when they see they can't get the vaccine, or read that 99% of folks getting the monkeypox are men that sleep with men, what do you think they're going to think? Pretty sure it'll be a Jerry Falwell/Ronnie Reagan moment all over again. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

I agree with you and that's what I thought when I first saw monkeypox and LGBT. Unfortunately, I think we're seeing a repeat of "it's just a gay disease" though. 

I agree with you completely. I'm just taking to sources and pointing out that in order for me to get a vaccine from NYS (a fairly [very] liberal place, I need to affirm that I had a close contact or get on Grindr/go to the clubs and wake up in a different bed quite often. That's not me - so under current guidelines I am not eligible for a shot. 

Now think of all the housewives, and husbands....when they see they can't get the vaccine, or read that 99% of folks getting the monkeypox are men that sleep with men, what do you think they're going to think? Pretty sure it'll be a Jerry Falwell/Ronnie Reagan moment all over again. 

yup. I’m in NYC too, so I’ve seen the rules. I know there are limited vaccines right now, so they are trying to give them to the highest risk first, but the way it is being discussed, it’s going to lead to discrimination and gay bashing.   I already see it on message boards, esp if you dare read the conservative social media boards.( I do to know my enemy :)).  Its scarily familiar to early 80’s AIDS anti gay rhetoric.

I’m queer and female, it’s my job to be a strong protector/ally ( since so far, the bashing is of gay men), so I make a point of saying something whenever I read someone making a flippant or discriminatory comment about monkey pox transmission.  

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Chad_O said:

before I make any decisions...would there be dinner before any said rubbing?  I just want to know the parameters. 😉

I’m female, so not your target market, but buy me a drink first and we’ll see .., 😜

• Haha 1

I highly recommend one of the Savage Lovecast episodes recently release. I don't think I can post links though. Search for the podcast, then look for the episode called "Dr Carlton Thomas on Monkeypox". Very enlightening. Everybody should hear this.

On 7/28/2022 at 10:24 AM, Cruisegoer said:

Well unless your rubbing up on someone on a mainstream cruise I don't see what the risk is. 

It is now suspected that it can spread through respiratory means as well. Info from CDC is evolving because it is not behaving like the 2 main strains known in Africa. We got first dose yesterday. 2nd dose is 2 weeks before we sail. 

• Like 1

On 8/7/2022 at 6:29 PM, RICHARD@SEA said:

a friend who is a Dr in Ft Lauderdale called yesterday & told me  that their board of health has vaccines but is not promoting it enough (this is in the Broward & Dade counties).... as one of the biggest cruise departure & arrival ports in the world you would think this would be a priority...before the spread gets even more out of control.

I live in Fort Lauderdale.Was supposed to get second shot yesterday.State has cancelled all of them.Says first one more important.

I'm baffled by the NY limits on this vax unless there just aren't enough doses. I'm monogamous and married, and my husband and I had no trouble getting the vax here in DC - only had to wait maybe 3 days. There aren't enough doses here either, but the solution has been to use all that we have on first shots for any gay man who wants one - and apparently anyone else who wants one, especially if they have multiple partners - and wait to give second doses until there's more supply. That makes sense to me.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/11/2022 at 6:24 PM, GaNavy said:

I'm baffled by the NY limits on this vax unless there just aren't enough doses. I'm monogamous and married, and my husband and I had no trouble getting the vax here in DC - only had to wait maybe 3 days. There aren't enough doses here either, but the solution has been to use all that we have on first shots for any gay man who wants one - and apparently anyone else who wants one, especially if they have multiple partners - and wait to give second doses until there's more supply. That makes sense to me.

Got both shots in Fort Lauderdale.

Ontario is doing something similar, but at least Toronto Public Health, while officially making doses only available to GBMSM who have another risk factor (multiple partners, attendance at bathhouses, etc.,) at least at the queer community centre that is hosting clinics, are providing doses for anyone who self-identifies as needing a dose. 

(For example, I'm a queer cis woman partnered with a queer NB AMAB who has multiple partners, and we're probably both going to get jabbed sometime in the next few weeks, even though I'm technically not eligible.) 

• Like 1

Here in Portland, Oregon you just need to get on a wait list with the county health department. Took about a week from waitlist to getting jabbed. No questions screening for sexuality, which I think should be the norm because people who work in close contact with others (salons, massage, acupuncture, etc) are at high risk and no one's thinking about them.

I think that cruises, as opposed to, say, Disneyland, will have less transmission because the cruise lines are constantly cleaning to battle norovirus, which will help keep hmpx off surfaces as well. Respiratory droplets, well... masks are very fashionable.