Sapphire or Grand to Alaska?

corgigrl

I recently booked an Alaska cruisetour on Grand Princess (land first, then cruise) for next May. Since then I’ve been seeing a lot of reviews about the Grand saying that while the crew was fantastic the ship herself is looking and feeling outdated and worn. This will be a once in a lifetime cruise for my sister and brother in law so now I’m having doubts about my choice. Thinking about changing to Sapphire Princess two weeks later. Reviews of her seem a little kinder. Price difference is minimal, around $300 per cabin. I know that the two are sister ships with the Sapphire being newer. Deck plans are very similar. Are there differences I’m not seeing? Is it worth the price difference? Am I overthinking this? HELP!

Both are the fleets' "smaller" ship.  I am partial to the Grand, but the Sapphire is also a good ship.  She has not been put into service yet (therefore no comments posted).  

Check out the itinerary of both ships.  Make sure Glacier Bay is included.  Since you are doing the land portion first, it would be "easier" if you pick up the ship in Whittier and cruise back to Vancouver.  

1 hour ago, corgigrl said:

I recently booked an Alaska cruisetour on Grand Princess (land first, then cruise) for next May. Since then I’ve been seeing a lot of reviews about the Grand saying that while the crew was fantastic the ship herself is looking and feeling outdated and worn. This will be a once in a lifetime cruise for my sister and brother in law so now I’m having doubts about my choice. Thinking about changing to Sapphire Princess two weeks later. Reviews of her seem a little kinder. Price difference is minimal, around $300 per cabin. I know that the two are sister ships with the Sapphire being newer. Deck plans are very similar. Are there differences I’m not seeing? Is it worth the price difference? Am I overthinking this? HELP!

We were just recently on the Grand.  The ship itself was okay, we had issues with water on our balcony - no way for it to drain.  With the Sapphire being a sister ship, I am assuming it may be the same.  We had booked the Sapphire orginally in 2021 after our 2020 cruise was cancelled.  Several months before Princess took Sapphire to do an alternate itinerary and with no comparable cabins available on the other ships we moved the cruise to 2022 on the Sapphire.  Again, they took the Sapphire to do another itinerary so we moved to the Grand. 

We found many things lacking on the Grand but I think it was due to a smaller ship.  The buffet was limited, the entertainment was more like a high school production, the menu in Alfredo's missing items we loved on the Regal. The staff was fantastic, including waitstaff, bartenders and room attendant.  Our stateroom showed a bit of wear in that the sofa was really hard and the cushions didn't cover the pull out bed. The carpet was clean but worn.  IMO not sure if the Sapphire is better or not.  

Itineraries are the same, so don’t have to take that into consideration. Grand, Sapphire and Majestic all do the same run from Whittier. Tried for the Majestic, but there were no accessible balcony cabin available on our desired date. Is Sapphire in dry dock or out of service because of low demand?

The Grand and the Sapphire are very similar.  I was on the Grand in late May and the ship seemed to be in very good shape (though I tend not to be very picky about things like that).  I had no complaints.

I was on the Sapphire in 2019.  One of the differences is that the Sapphire (and the Diamond) has wider promenade decks than the other Grand class ships, with full loungers on the promenade deck.  Also, the two mid-ship dining rooms are split into 4 themed dining rooms on the Sapphire and the Diamond.

7 minutes ago, corgigrl said:

Itineraries are the same, so don’t have to take that into consideration. Grand, Sapphire and Majestic all do the same run from Whittier. Tried for the Majestic, but there were no accessible balcony cabin available on our desired date. Is Sapphire in dry dock or out of service because of low demand?

She has yet to brought back to service after the pandemic.  

The Grand is wonderful ship. I’ve sailed her a lot pre pandemic and once since the restart. I found her to be in much better condition on my October sailing. If someone prefers the larger Royal class ships they will not value the things those of us who like this class appreciate: better outdoor viewing areas, full promenade deck, more intimate experience, the thermal spa access for those in a full suite just to name a few. 
I’ve been to Alaska on the Island, Majestic, Grand and Ruby (more than once each except for Majestic- once was enough on the Royal class for me). 

If this really is your one and only Alaska sailing, get an aft facing full suite. Try to avoid C748/749 on Grand and Ruby though due to unpleasant vent odors while on your balcony. I’ve not sailed Sapphire personally but I’d avoid those on her too just in case. Baja deck suites on Grand (and presumably Sapphire) and Aloha deck aft facing suites have by far been my favorites.  

Sapphire has a wider promenade deck than Grand and pre pandemic had padded loungers open to all.  The Grand will have chairs. Sapphire has 5 MDR’s with different decors and ambiance.  The Grand has 3 and they look pretty much the same. All MDRs serve the same food. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1