Good News: Elimination of Pre-Cruise Testing!

travelhound

11 minutes ago, Oxo said:

Confused? what does this have to do with 

Good News: Elimination of Pre-Cruise Testing!

Whoops!!!!  Looks like "my computer" posted this response in the wrong thread!  (okay, I can't really back that up 🤣).  Carry on......

8 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

My opinion is that all covid protocols will be eliminated sooner rather than later. Changes will likely be phased in. Cruise lines are starting with 5 days for pre-testing and 10-20% unvaccinated. I suspect they are now collecting data on how fewer protocols effect bookings. Based on Travel Agent central, the number of bookings for 4-5 nights increased dramatically with the reduction of pre-testing. Of course, lots of factors can manipulate booking data so we need to be cautious there.

It maybe a bit before world cruises are included, but the trend is definitely moving away from ANY covid protocol, not just pre-testing.

👍

On 8/4/2022 at 9:11 AM, graphicguy said:

I do believe that COVID vaccinations will continue to be required, however.  If anything, that has helped them to sail at capacity, again.

I said I would comeback and update this thread when ncl released their occupancy numbers (which will happen tomorrow) but I think this thread warrants an update in that NCL is the very first cruise line to remove all vaccine requirements also!!

image.png.d1ffadc738726477192b4749ae5d4f08.pngOf course the port matters. Currently I believe that you will still need testing/vaccination if traveling to Spain, Canada, or Bermuda. I suspect Canada will be the first of these three to change and we can expect other cruise lines to join NCL in no vaccine requirements, but until then NCL just gave themselves a very clear advantage in the cruise industry.

• Like 1

Thank you for this helpful thread. We are doing a transatlantic cruise with NCL in December, so we'll be getting a test before embarkation and another one 2 days before arriving in Bermuda. I'll check around on CC but it seems we have to go online and get the Bermuda travel authorization on our own, i.e. it's not done through NCL, as I understand it.

1 minute ago, DCGuy64 said:

Thank you for this helpful thread. We are doing a transatlantic cruise with NCL in December, so we'll be getting a test before embarkation and another one 2 days before arriving in Bermuda. I'll check around on CC but it seems we have to go online and get the Bermuda travel authorization on our own, i.e. it's not done through NCL, as I understand it.

As you know, lots of things can change between now and then, but Bermuda can continue to be a hold out longer than others since they don't need cruise revenue. If your transatlantic is stopping in Spain, that is currently the only EU country with any covid protocols remaining.

https://www.traveloffpath.com/countries-without-any-travel-restrictions-or-entry-requirements/

9 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Yes, you get the Bermuda travel authorization on line . It's not done by the cruise line. Cost is $40 per person. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

As you know, lots of things can change between now and then, but Bermuda can continue to be a hold out longer than others since they don't need cruise revenue. If your transatlantic is stopping in Spain, that is currently the only EU country with any covid protocols remaining.

https://www.traveloffpath.com/countries-without-any-travel-restrictions-or-entry-requirements/

Thank you! Yes, we still have 4 months to go, but just in case, I put a reminder in my calendar for 30 days before we arrive in Bermuda so I can get that travel authorization done (assuming it's still in effect, of course).

2 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Yes, you get the Bermuda travel authorization on line . It's not done by the cruise line. Cost is $40 per person. 

Thank you, yes I'm aware of the ransom, I mean $40 fee. 😁 Since we're on the ship for over a week before arriving in Bermuda, we'll have to (as I understand it) show proof of a negative test before embarking in Lisbon and another one en route 2 days before, when we'll still be at sea. I'm sure NCL will have testing available onboard. From what I've read, Bermuda won't allow an unsupervised self test.

Just now, DCGuy64 said:

Thank you! Yes, we still have 4 months to go, but just in case, I put a reminder in my calendar for 30 days before we arrive in Bermuda so I can get that travel authorization done (assuming it's still in effect, of course).

You're most welcome :). 

I put a reminder in my calendar way back when we had the discussion on pricing so I just peeked. Have you repriced yet? It looks like you have dropped $500 so far, but if you are only allowed ONE re-pricing I would not recommend you do that yet because these prices will continue to fall based on occupancy.

image.png.dad426946e20aa8df01d36efb26d32eb.png

Just now, BermudaBound2014 said:

You're most welcome :). 

I put a reminder in my calendar way back when we had the discussion on pricing so I just peeked. Have you repriced yet? It looks like you have dropped $500 so far, but if you are only allowed ONE re-pricing I would not recommend you do that yet because these prices will continue to fall based on occupancy.

image.png.dad426946e20aa8df01d36efb26d32eb.png

Thank you, you have such a good memory! We actually made our final payment earlier this morning, and our travel agent was able to get us a couple of price drops, the last one being sometime last week. Very excited to see that, actually!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DCGuy64 said:

Thank you, you have such a good memory! We actually made our final payment earlier this morning, and our travel agent was able to get us a couple of price drops, the last one being sometime last week. Very excited to see that, actually!

Great! My advice is not to look ever again 🙂 EVER! Don't do it!!! lol 

Wait... ask your travel agent if NCL will allow you to get FCC when the price drops more. I have read that NCL is giving 25% FCC in the event of huge price drops after final payment.

Happy sailing.

1 minute ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Great! My advice is not to look ever again 🙂 EVER! Don't do it!!! lol 

Wait... ask your travel agent if NCL will allow you to get FCC when the price drops more. I have read that NCL is giving 25% FCC in the event of huge price drops after final payment.

Happy sailing.

I promise! 😄 And I'll ask our trusty TA to keep a lookout in case of further price drops, in case we can take advantage of any FCC. Thanks for that tip!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DCGuy64 said:

Thank you, yes I'm aware of the ransom, I mean $40 fee. 😁 Since we're on the ship for over a week before arriving in Bermuda, we'll have to (as I understand it) show proof of a negative test before embarking in Lisbon and another one en route 2 days before, when we'll still be at sea. I'm sure NCL will have testing available onboard. From what I've read, Bermuda won't allow an unsupervised self test.

Yes, you'll need to present a negative test at embarkation and NCL will test you again on board within two days of your arrival in Bermuda.

Unsupervised tests aren't permitted.

Here's Bermuda's requirements:

https://www.gov.bm/cruise-travel-authorisation

NCL's statement of travel requirements for Bermuda. Note that they have unfortunately omitted the requirement for the additional test applicable to cruises such as yours. 

https://www.ncl.com/travel-requirements-by-country

For sailings September 3, 2022 and beyond:

Age Vaccinated Unvaccinated
< 2 years Nothing Required. Nothing Required.
2-11 years Travel Authorization required. Application fee $40
Provide proof of one of the following at embarkation:
1. COVID-19 NAAT test (PCR, LAMP or TMA) up to 4 days before embarkation
2. Supervised antigen up to 2 days before embarkation
Travel Authorization required. Application fee $40
1. COVID-19 NAAT test up to 4 days before embarkation
2. Unvaccinated children 11 years and under travelling with fully vaccinated parents will be allowed off the ship
≥ 12 years Travel Authorization required. Application fee $40.
Unable to cruise.
Edited by njhorseman

4 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Yes, you'll need to present a negative test at embarkation and NCL will test you again on board within two days of your arrival in Bermuda.

Unsupervised tests aren't permitted.

Here's Bermuda's requirements:

https://www.gov.bm/cruise-travel-authorisation

NCL's statement of travel requirements for Bermuda. Note that they have unfortunately omitted the requirement for the additional test applicable to cruises such as yours. 

https://www.ncl.com/travel-requirements-by-country

For sailings September 3, 2022 and beyond:

Age Vaccinated Unvaccinated
< 2 years Nothing Required. Nothing Required.
2-11 years Travel Authorization required. Application fee $40
Travel Authorization required. Application fee $40
1. COVID-19 NAAT test up to 4 days before embarkation
2. Unvaccinated children 11 years and under travelling with fully vaccinated parents will be allowed off the ship
≥ 12 years Travel Authorization required. Application fee $40.
Unable to cruise.

Thank you, @njhorseman, that's exactly the table I was looking at earlier today. There's always the possibility Bermuda will relax its requirements over the next 4 months, but I'm going to assume this will be the SOP unless I hear otherwise.

On 8/4/2022 at 9:11 AM, graphicguy said:

Not sure when this will happen, but it's probably sooner than later.  NCL was one of the first cruise lines to require pre-cruise testing.  They have stuck to that for nearly 2 years.  Their policy never wavered and they stayed consistent.

Proof of a negative COVID test is still required on most NCL cruises still.

I think that's the reason why they are now sailing near capacity, if not AT capacity.  I give them credit.

I do believe that COVID vaccinations will continue to be required, however.  If anything, that has helped them to sail at capacity, again.

As promised I'm back to provide accurate information. I'm not sure why you continue to spew this nonsense about NCL sailing near capacity (and requiring vaccination indefinitely because they are sailing at capacity lol), but as I keep pointing out, you are wrong. No nice way to put it. It's irresponsible to continue to promote such fake news.

Capacity second quarter was 65%. Even you can't consider that 'at or near' capacity. And while they have had some voyages achieve 100% occupancy levels (which we expected) they are few and far between. Even the very busy month of July only managed 85% occupancy. The real teller here is that occupancy levels are expected to only reach 80% in the third quarter!! That's a big OUCH for NCL.

Here is the report filed directly with the Securities Exchange Commission of the United States of America. This data is accurate:

image.thumb.png.6a7f33d36a0325ea4b4bd135fee14f13.png

https://www.globenewswire.com/news-release/2022/08/09/2494757/24500/en/Norwegian-Cruise-Line-Holdings-Reports-Second-Quarter-2022-Financial-Results.html

• Like 1