Afternoon in Rome

Twolittleboys

Just booked a last minute cruise and am in a bit of a scramble trying to figure everything out. If things go as planned, I will be in Rome by about 2 pm the day before the cruise and now I am not sure what might be a good afternoon activity. I have been to Rome before and have seen most of the main sights (Vatican, Colosseum, Forum, Pantheon etc.) and I think it will be very hot. Does anyone know of something that would work well in this situation?

3 hours ago, Twolittleboys said:

Just booked a last minute cruise and am in a bit of a scramble trying to figure everything out. If things go as planned, I will be in Rome by about 2 pm the day before the cruise and now I am not sure what might be a good afternoon activity. I have been to Rome before and have seen most of the main sights (Vatican, Colosseum, Forum, Pantheon etc.) and I think it will be very hot. Does anyone know of something that would work well in this situation?

The Capitoline Museum (items from ancient Rome) and the Borghese Gallery (Renaissance and Baroque art masterpieces) are both air-conditioned, although it probably won't be like A/C that we are used to in the US. Both are definitely worth visiting; the Borghese requires reservations in advance.  

Another idea is to visit some of Rome's subterranean sites such as:

• The catacombs -- particularly around the Appian Way (be sure to check hours as there are three of them and they rotate closures).
  • Basilica of San Clemente -- church near the Colosseum, built on three levels, the lowest of which is from the time of Republican Rome with a mithraeum.
  • The Roman House (Domus) under Palazzo Valentini -- a sort of "sound and light show" highlighting excavations underneath the palazzo that serves as the headquarters for Rome's carabinieri. Info here.
  • Ever wonder where the water that fills Trevi Fountain comes from?  Or how Roman aqueducts work once they entered the city? You can tour this underground site near Trevi called the Vicus Caprarius (and it is "cool" in both ways):  https://www.travelandleisure.com/attractions/you-can-go-underneath-the-trevi-fountain
  • Of course, there is always one of the Colosseum Underground tours or the Scavi tour at the Vatican, but both require reservations and will be heaving with people above ground.

On the other hand, you can try to find a shady piazza with a fountain and an outdoor table and just relax. Or go in search of some of the best artisanal gelato....

• Like 1

Thank you so much for the great ideas! Like quite a few of them. I do wish not so many required prebooking. What with flying and taking a train (and the heat) I am just not 100% sure I will be able to make it.

The Appian Way is at the top of my list for the next time I am in Rome when it is not quite so hot. Maybe I will just try to find a shady place to enjoy the atmosphere. Or possibly take a break in the afternoon and go out to do something in the evening?

I’m in Florence right now and was in Bologna 4 days ago.  It’s been 98-100 every day so far, maybe upper 80s by 11pm.  I imagine Rome is no different now.  I’d recommend something shady or a/c equipped until early evening.  I have not sweated so much in my life - 3 shower days!!!