Question about OUI/DWI and Canada Cruise

ValMilo2324

Just now, ValMilo2324 said:

I had 2 OUI’s, One in the Late 80s one in ‘97. If I take a Boston to New Brunswick Cruise, can I just stay on the Ship, or will customs come on board, or will I not be allowed on the cruise at all?

The cruise line won't know about your history because they don't have access to the NCIC database, which is where that information is recorded so you won't be prevented from boarding.

Canadian authorities, the CBSA, will receive the passenger manifest from the cruise line when the ship departs Boston and will check it against the NCIC . They will then decide whether to allow you to disembark the ship or require you to stay on board while in Canada. They may decide to interview you as part of their decision making process when the ship arrives in its first Canadian port. 

2 hours ago, ValMilo2324 said:

I had 2 OUI’s, One in the Late 80s one in ‘97. If I take a Boston to New Brunswick Cruise, can I just stay on the Ship, or will customs come on board, or will I not be allowed on the cruise at all?

You can do your ArriveCAN now to see if they kick you out. You are not supposed to be able to board the ship without an ArriveCAN QR code. 

On 7/27/2022 at 10:02 PM, njhorseman said:

The cruise line won't know about your history because they don't have access to the NCIC database, which is where that information is recorded so you won't be prevented from boarding.

Canadian authorities, the CBSA, will receive the passenger manifest from the cruise line when the ship departs Boston and will check it against the NCIC . They will then decide whether to allow you to disembark the ship or require you to stay on board while in Canada. They may decide to interview you as part of their decision making process when the ship arrives in its first Canadian port. 

Thank you so much!! I will give it a shot!

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, 2cat4garden said:

Did the Canadians hassle you about the DUIs?

Canadians take DUIs much more seriously than we do in the States.  It's my understanding that they're a little more lax with cruise ships than they are with other forms of entry where you're more likely to be driving.  

To the OP, what @njhorseman said is true to the best of my knowledge.  Having 2 is going to make it a bit harder.  But being 25 years ago will make it a bit easier.  It's up to the discretion of the border official on duty.  Usually with one conviction that was more than 10 years ago, they'll let you in.  If you want to know for sure before you get there, you can reach out to the Canadian Gvmt.  I think there are a couple of ways you can apply for entry.  Your profile says you're from Maine.  If you want a softer acceptance you could drive across the border to see if they give you any trouble.  The border agents are also more likely to let you in if another agent has already let you enter.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a Canadian/US dual citizen. I would be extremely cautious about trying to cross the border knowing you have DUIs. They will very likely turn you away at the border, and if you attempt to enter again via the cruise ship, that is viewed very badly, like you're trying to do an end run around them. Just call the border and ask your questions. You don't have to give your name, but be very upfront about your past and ask about crossing the border. You need to ask the CBSA if you will even be allowed onto the cruise ship, not just allowed off at the Canadian ports. No, the cruise ship will not know your history, but once they share the manifest with the Canadian authorities, the CBSA has the authority to deny boarding to anyone that they deem inadmissible to Canada. You are not even allowed in their waters. So make the call and clear this up before you continue with your cruise plans. You can also apply to the US government to have your past charges expunged (there is probably a better legal term for that). It costs a bit, but it is probably well worth the effort if you want to travel.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got back from an Alaskan cruise that stopped in Prince Rupert.  The person I was traveling with received a DUI about 6 years ago in 2016.  He had no problem boarding the ship in San Francisco.  We did not try to get off the ship in Canada so I don't know if that would have been an issue.

I just looked up CBSA &, after some  searching, sent a request for information.  I had a DUI in 2015.  The only issue I've had since I started driving 55+ years.  There are several cruises I've looked at but been afraid to book because of it.  Hoping I get an okay.  If not, at least I'll know one way or the other.

If I get anything back, I'll post here.