Snorkeling

mmar

We are leaving on SD1 on 3/5 and as I am packing I was wondering should I pack my snorkel gear or do they have somethings available on the boat? (ie masks and fins) Additionally are slacks and linen shirts or golf shirts OK for dinner or should I pack him long sleeve button downs. Any comments on shoes for us for dining. any other input would help because I am limiting us to 1 carry on each as to depart airport and start drinking some champagne that I have read you all talk about. thank you all again as the board has been very informative.

As someone who snorkels every chance I get - pack your own gear. Availability depends on the cruise director - on one of our SD I cuises, snorkel gear was only made available at Jost Van Dyke but we snorkeled on St. Barts and the The Baths also. On the second SD I cruise, cruise director made available upon request, but its standard "rental" gear, not as nice as your own.

Recoommend no sneakers for dining, just about any else goes. polo or golf shirts are definitely fine for dinner - though you will see a number in jackets. I made in a carry on for a two week cruise, so you can definitely do it - if you don't go overboard on shoes.

FT

mmar...Linen/golf shirts are perfectly acceptable for dinner on board. I had the same questions as you before my sailing on SD I last November. I brought a blazer...completely unnecessary...although there were others who wore them. If you stick to dress slacks and the above mentioned shirts you'll be fine. As far as footware goes, loafers and/or DRESS sandels are fine. Comfort is key. Casual, smart dress is the norm. Enjoy...you are in for an absolutely sublime vacation.

We highly recommend that you pack your own mask (because you know it fits) and your own snorkel (health reasons). However to save weight, you can probably plan to use the ship's flippers.

For dinner, slacks, and personal preferernce is a solid color or muted long sleeve button shirt. Although the ship's laundry is fine, Lands End has some shirts that you can rinse out and will easily dry overnight (plan to wear 1 for travel). One pair of (rubber sole) loafers or equivalent should be fine. One pair of sneakers/walking shoes for shore (wear for travel).

Day time - Bermuda-type shorts; we like woven-type shirts although anything is fine. Remember bathing suits. Also: for your CARRY ON:

HAT; Sunglasses; Sunblock; any medications you normally take might need; $1 and $5 bills (internet cafe's, etc); CIRUS or similar cash machine card (although US$ are good anywhere if you bring them); Visa or Master Card; travel umbrella.

Whatever we wear to the airport usually doubles as a rain jacket.

Anyhow, have a great trip!!

We each bring a black "skin" - they cost about $50-$60. Fold very small for packing. Very good sun protection. Just a little bit of extra warmth. And they protect against "stingers" that sometimes float in the water.

And add the "remember to bring" list: PASSPORT; copy of e-ticket; ship ticket.

Archived