No More Pre-Cruise Testing for Vaccinated guests on voyages less than 6 nights starting August 8th!

11 hours ago, dada2199cc said:

Folks, RCL and the other cruise lines have had tens of millions of passengers sail since the restart.

They have tons of data on who gets sick, when, how long, etc.

All the cruise lines know we are already endemic with covid and it doesn’t matter anymore.  They know because their databases prove it.  Vaccinated, not vaccinated, antibodies, recent infection, boosters, whatever: the jig is up and it’s time to get back to life.

The big and only problem is that so many of you were suckered into believing that covid today is covid from Dec 2019.  It isn’t.  It’s nowhere close.

So RCL has to make an eyewash that is nothing but water, but it’ll convince people they’re slowly returning to normal, even tho they literally could return to normal tomorrow and nothing would change.

It’s over *except* that 30-40% of customers are still stuck in March 2020, so the corporation needs to convince them that they’ll take it slow.

If you haven’t had covid 2-3 times by now, you haven’t been living life.  Time to go back to normal.  I’m sure I’ll have it for my 4th time in February.  And like the prior 3 times, it’ll be a non-issue.

Royal’s data proves it is time to go back to normal.  So does every other cruise line and every hospital and government database.  

👍👍👍👍

If you haven’t had covid 2-3 times by now, you haven’t been living life.  Time to go back to normal.  I’m sure I’ll have it for my 4th time in February.  And like the prior 3 times, it’ll be a non-issue.

I have been living since May 2020 and knock on wood, and as far as I know, haven't gotten covid and was unvaccinated until last month when I had to get it done for my cruise. Yes, MOST have gotten it though and many multiple times, vaccinated to the max. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, vacationlover16 said:

I am torn. We have a cruise scheduled in October and won't have to test due to the length (barring no changes). Logistically, it makes our vacation easier as our cruise leaves on a Monday so we would have had to test on a Saturday or Sunday. But it is evident on these boards that folks will still cruise knowing they are ill. I would have hoped if Covid taught us anything it would be how important it is to stay home when sick. I get it, it sucks to miss a vacation due to illness but it is selfish and rude to still travel knowing you are sick.  And "stay home if you are scared' is a cop out. It is one thing to be asymptomatic and not know versus having symptoms and knowingly exposing others.

I really hope folks will still be responsible and stay home if they are sick. But I am not hopeful and it makes me frustrated, angry and sad.

Do you avoid all other places in life? People walk around sick all the time everywhere you go. I believe in staying home when you are sick also but you know that has never happened and probably will not happen now. We can only take care of ourselves and life is too short to worry about everything and everybody.

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, MaddyandMax said:

Unvaccinated passengers have to get a PCR test.  The turnaround for that is much longer.  Here in Canada it could go past 3 days.

Oh, ok. That does make sense. A PCR herr in New Jersey usually has a 48 hour turnaround, but not guaranteed. When we go to Europe in October, we'll prob bring a few government issued tests with us and use that Rapid Test company, assuming we have decent wifi. 

1 hour ago, BillOh said:

You can't get ON the ship without that test and uploading the results to the Bahamian authorities. Most stressful part of our first post covid shutdown cruise.

I know you made a typo and meant Bermuda. Bermuda has changed their procedure. You don't upload the test result. The cruise line verifies the negative test result at embarkation. So the stress is gone. Approvals are not at the last minute, they send a provisional approval.  

It has been mentioned that Bermuda has the $40 fee in their budget until March 2023 but that does not mean they could not eliminate the testing. They could require the Travel Authorization and $40 fee without a test requirement. I am not predicting they will do that but it is is a possibility.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SargassoPirate said:

Oh, but they do.  $top $ending $hips to those ports and see how long it takes them to relax their testing mandates.

Royal Caribbean has a contract to send ships to Bermuda. They are not going to stop sending ships there. But they would not stop anyway because of testing. 

1 hour ago, BillOh said:

You can't get ON the ship without that test and uploading the results to the Bahamian authorities. Most stressful part of our first post covid shutdown cruise.

No, you do not have to upload the test results anymore for Bermuda.  That changed a couple of months ago.  Now, you have to do the form, upload your vaccine card and show your test at the port.  We just got back from there yesterday.

Edited by BND
  • Like 2

I don't know why anyone would want to go to Bermuda anyway. Been there a half dozen times, not much there to warrant the hassle. Drop them until they relax their covid testing mandates and their additional fees. They're just making money off of covid.

Edited by rrraydon
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, vacationlover16 said:

Your definition of being realistic is different than mine. I feel the same if it is the flu, a cold, etc. If sick, you shouldn't cruse. I just would have hoped people would view illness differently now. I am guilty myself. Before, if I was sick I would push through and still go to work. I don't any more. I am more cognizant of how that can impact others along with how it impacts me and my recovery time.

I understand people could be exposed during travel the days between testing and arriving at the port. Nothing is 100% effective but it doesn't mean we can't try to mitigate. If people wouldn't sail sick, I guess I don't understand why there is such an issue with testing. Seems folks would want to want to know if they were sick-especially if not showing symptoms.

Regardless, I hope you enjoy any upcoming sailings and stay healthy!

I agree, if you are knowingly sick with a possible communicable illness, stay home.  But, I haven't heard/read anybody else say (not that I remember reading) that they would knowingly travel/cruise with COVID, not in here, like you alluded to.  AND, I didn't define realistic.  I stated a fact, to be realistic, depending on a pre-cruise test that gives you up to almost 3 days before embarkation is just 'WHITE WASH" and not realistic to feel secure that you won't (or your chances are dramatically reduced) catch COVID on a cruise, never was and isn't realistic.  Not only does it give some people a false sense of security, people will get on the ship and starts to feel sick, he/she can feel that it can't be COVID and continue with their everyday activities thinking that it has got to be a cold, not COVID because they tested negative, days earlier.  

Now, I would hate to see this happen but, the only way to be ALMOST certain that everyone is COVID free is to test everyone as they enter the ship.  Wouldn't that be a cluster.....  As long as there is a short period of time that COVID is not detectable by our current technology, there is no way we can stop COVID from spreading.  Which is now no more serious than the common cold and flu, for the most part. 

I'm just being realistic.

Happy cruising to you too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hazeleyes46 said:

👍👍👍👍

I have been living since May 2020 and knock on wood, and as far as I know, haven't gotten covid and was unvaccinated until last month when I had to get it done for my cruise. Yes, MOST have gotten it though and many multiple times, vaccinated to the max. 

I seem to have a very good immune system.  I never get the flu (nor a flu vaccine) and I get a cold once every 2-3 years.  My wife is the same, but she does get a flu vaccine.  I had Original Recipe COVID in Nov. 2020.  It was a cold, with an extra-bad headache.  I continued to work (WFH).  Since then, I have been vaxxed and boosted (J&J).  I am not sure if I've had any other strains of COVID or not.  There have been a few times when I'd have a sore throat, or congestion, or a bad headache, but those are all symptoms of typical allergies and a chronic neurological problem I have.  I only tested once, when I felt a bit "meh" after returning from a conference in May where it was reported that some others had tested positive.  I was negative.  

BTW, I have a sure-fire cure for the common cold (and COVID when it's symptoms are like a cold:  First thing in the morning, take one 12-hour max-strength Mucinex DM followed by a hot shower.  Drink water all day long, and eat as normal.  About two hours before bedtime, stop drinking water and switch to Scotch (Johnnie Walker Black seems to work best).  Don't take shots - put it over ice, with some water or club soda.  You will need to drink at least three of these.  Do NOT take more Mucinex - it;'s once a day in the morning only.  Do this for 6 days and your cold will be cured.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

So, people who wake up on cruise day with a runny nose or a slight headache shouldnt go on a cruise?

There are several reasons for mild symptoms. And even though, everyone is Covid centric these days, we never acted like this pre-covid when cruising. 

A common cold should not be the reason someone doesnt cruise. 

There is quite the difference with someone with severe symptoms that would indicate something infectious vs mild symptoms that would indicate something non-serious or infectious

I am afraid there is a subsector of people that would have people cancel their cruises because of a headache or runny nose. 

Edited by UNCFanatik
  • Like 5

44 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Royal Caribbean has a contract to send ships to Bermuda. They are not going to stop sending ships there. But they would not stop anyway because of testing. 

If they don't have passengers or not very full on the ships going to Bermuda, watch things change, watch the cruise lines put some serious pressure on the government of Bermuda.  

Bermuda is a very nice place, we loved it when we were there.  But, if I can go to, say, Labadee or Grand Cayman, not have to give my personal info on the internet to a government that I really don't know anything about and don't know, for sure what they will do with that info, not pay a non-refundable fee of $40.00, I'd skip Bermuda in a heart beat.  In fact, I have skipped it for a few reasons.  Too bad, I really like the place.  I'm very happy with options!

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, rudeney said:

I seem to have a very good immune system.  I never get the flu (nor a flu vaccine) and I get a cold once every 2-3 years.  My wife is the same, but she does get a flu vaccine.  I had Original Recipe COVID in Nov. 2020.  It was a cold, with an extra-bad headache.  I continued to work (WFH).  Since then, I have been vaxxed and boosted (J&J).  I am not sure if I've had any other strains of COVID or not.  There have been a few times when I'd have a sore throat, or congestion, or a bad headache, but those are all symptoms of typical allergies and a chronic neurological problem I have.  I only tested once, when I felt a bit "meh" after returning from a conference in May where it was reported that some others had tested positive.  I was negative.  

BTW, I have a sure-fire cure for the common cold (and COVID when it's symptoms are like a cold:  First thing in the morning, take one 12-hour max-strength Mucinex DM followed by a hot shower.  Drink water all day long, and eat as normal.  About two hours before bedtime, stop drinking water and switch to Scotch (Johnnie Walker Black seems to work best).  Don't take shots - put it over ice, with some water or club soda.  You will need to drink at least three of these.  Do NOT take more Mucinex - it;'s once a day in the morning only.  Do this for 6 days and your cold will be cured.

I always said that alcohol cures many things 🙂

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

Now, I would hate to see this happen but, the only way to be ALMOST certain that everyone is COVID free is to test everyone as they enter the ship.  Wouldn't that be a cluster.....  As long as there is a short period of time that COVID is not detectable by our current technology, there is no way we can stop COVID from spreading.  Which is now no more serious than the common cold and flu, for the most part. 

I don't really see that testing like that would make any difference.  It might catch a few extra positive passengers, but there's still a chance for people to be within that longest (5 day) incubation period.  Even if we made people start testing at 10 days out and test every single day and at boarding, one could get exposed within 5 days of boarding and not be positive until after boarding.  

Trying to prevent COVID on a cruise ship by testing is like trying to prevent speeding on the freeway with a radar trap.  You will catch a few speeders and (hopefully) that stops their speeding, but once all the other cars pass the trap, they go back to speeding.  Both of these are just snapshots in time.  If they truly want to keep COVID off the ship, they would have to do crazy things like require everyone to be in a controlled quarantine environment for at least 5 days prior to the cruise, test every day, and then have no port stops.  They would also need to do the same with the crew, as well as any terminal workers coming in contact with the passengers or crew.  Of course that is totally ridiculous - about as ridiculous that thinking testing 2 days before cruising will keep COVID off the ship.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, UNCFanatik said:

So, people who wake up on cruise day with a runny nose or a slight headache shouldnt go on a cruise?

There are several reasons for mild symptoms. And even though, everyone is Covid centric these days, we never acted like this pre-covid when cruising. 

A common cold should not be the reason someone doesnt a cruise. 

There is quite the difference with someone with severe symptoms that would indicate something infectious vs mild symptoms that would indicate something non-serious or infectious

I am afraid there is a subsector of people that would have people cancel their cruises because of a headache or runny nose. 

Exactly true!  When I said/say, "communicable illness" I should have said, "severe communicable illness".  No, no one should cancel or not go on a cruise because of a common cold or hay fever or what ever is minor in nature.  Not only that, would the cruise line give a full refund or give a FCC to someone not going on a cruise for none COVID related illness?  I don't think so.  Maybe travel insurance would help, I don't know. 

We've just got to get back to life as we knew it.  

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, rudeney said:

I don't really see that testing like that would make any difference.  It might catch a few extra positive passengers, but there's still a chance for people to be within that longest (5 day) incubation period.  Even if we made people start testing at 10 days out and test every single day and at boarding, one could get exposed within 5 days of boarding and not be positive until after boarding.  

Trying to prevent COVID on a cruise ship by testing is like trying to prevent speeding on the freeway with a radar trap.  You will catch a few speeders and (hopefully) that stops their speeding, but once all the other cars pass the trap, they go back to speeding.  Both of these are just snapshots in time.  If they truly want to keep COVID off the ship, they would have to do crazy things like require everyone to be in a controlled quarantine environment for at least 5 days prior to the cruise, test every day, and then have no port stops.  They would also need to do the same with the crew, as well as any terminal workers coming in contact with the passengers or crew.  Of course that is totally ridiculous - about as ridiculous that thinking testing 2 days before cruising will keep COVID off the ship.

Yep, that's why I did ALMOST!  And I said something about our current technology!  Otherwise, we are on the same sheet of music.

• Like 2

On 7/28/2022 at 7:52 AM, Ret MP said:

LOL, yep, I understand.  

When I was a E-4 I worked harder at shamming than I did if I would have just done the work to begin with.

I learned that if you carry a clipboard around, nobody questioned what you were doing.

Shamming is the secondary MOS for E-4 M's!!😁

• Haha 1

On 7/28/2022 at 8:21 AM, Ourusualbeach said:

Yes it does not keep it off the ship but there is no denying that it does keep some of it off.  There were at least 20 people just on our roll call that tested positive pre cruise and didn't get to sail 2 weeks ago, and that is from a small group of people posting

How about RCL continue with the testing, and throw in a complete physical and blood work two day prior to the Sailing along with a EKG....🤪

• Haha 4

On 7/28/2022 at 8:26 AM, Ret MP said:

And all it take is one to be negative until he/she gets on the ship and infect XXX others.  I'd be willing to bet that the many many people that are becoming sick/coming up positive while on the ship or shortly after getting off of it from those that came up negative pre embarkation.  

I've said my what I want to say, we can go around and around but I have no desire to do so.  Enough is enough.  I think the dead horse is dead!

Finally another MP/Soldier on CC that has some common sense!!! Now if we could only get the Marines to quit eating crayons on board!!🤪😛

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, rudeney said:

I'm like you, I generally don't get sick and I never get the flu shot, even in the Army when it was mandated.  I did get a flu shot (Why?  I don't know) when I got my last jab because they did it at the same time (separate shot, just at the same time).  I'm triple jabbed, got COVID after the jabs, once verified by the a Dr., once by home test and I'm guessing I had it.  That 3 possible times.  I believe I now have "LONG COVID" as my nose is continuously runny.  Never had that pre-COVID.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mpdog42 said:

Finally another MP/Soldier on CC that has some common sense!!! Now if we could only get the Marines to quit eating crayons on board!!🤪😛

Hey hey hey, my brother was a Marine.  He loves crayons!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hazeleyes46 said:

👍👍👍👍

Sorry, I think that a crazy statement to say if you had to have covid to be living your life.  My husband and I haven't caught it yet.  We have traveled domestically multiple times during the pandemic, saw Broadway shows, ballgames, friends, etc and have avoided it.  I know we will get it eventually since we have our 1st cruise back since the pandemic coming up.  We do mask in large crowds.

Edited by Crazy planning mom
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Crazy planning mom said:

Sorry, I think that a crazy statement to say if you had to have covid to be living your life.  My husband and I haven't caught it yet.  We have traveled domestically multiple times during the pandemic, saw Broadway shows, ballgames, friends, etc and have avoided it.  I know we will get it eventually since we have our 1st cruise back since the pandemic coming up.  We do mask in large crowds.

Agreed. Many have not gotten it and lived life normally. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

If they don't have passengers or not very full on the ships going to Bermuda, watch things change, watch the cruise lines put some serious pressure on the government of Bermuda.  

The cruise lines have discussions with Bermuda all the time and I would guess they do put pressure on the government of Bermuda. Since the current government there has only very  limited opposition right now that may not have much effect. As for full ships it seems the Bermuda sailings have been full to the capacity  the cruise lines have been selling this season. Trip reports indicate the beaches and other attractions there are crowded.