First-hand experience--has anyone boarded with recovery from covid paperwork?

12cruise2

We'll be boarding the Eurodam in Alaska in a couple of weeks with paperwork from recovery from covid.  We have both the test result and a letter from our doctor (that was required by another cruise line earlier this month).  I'd just like to hear how it all went with the boarding, secondary screening, etc. from someone with personal experience if you don't mind sharing.  I understand the process; I'm just curious about how well the process went to actually board.

Thank you!

Edited by 12cruise2

34 minutes ago, 12cruise2 said:

We boarded Celebrity in July with certificate of recovery letter and test; I was specifically interested in anyone who had boarded Holland America.  Thank you.

And a search on this, the Holland America board, would get that earlier discussion. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

And a search on this, the Holland America board, would get that earlier discussion. 

Sorry to seemingly be so much trouble for you.  In a search, I am not finding anything except covid isolation, etc.  Maybe you can just not respond and let's see if anyone who can answer my question will step forward.  Or since you seem to know where the answer is, could you post the link--now that would be helpful.  When I participate on this forum, I try to be helpful.  It was no fun being on a cruise in May and having to get off before second of 2 back-to-back cruises because of a covid diagnosis.  Yes, it's still out there.  But we're happy to keep on cruising and give it another try.

Edited by 12cruise2
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, 12cruise2 said:

Sorry to seemingly be so much trouble for you.  In a search, I am not finding anything except covid isolation, etc.  Maybe you can just not respond and let's see if anyone who can answer my question will step forward.  Or since you seem to know where the answer is, could you post the link--now that would be helpful.  When I participate on this forum, I try to be helpful.  It was no fun being on a cruise in May and having to get off before second of 2 back-to-back cruises because of a covid diagnosis.  Yes, it's still out there.  But we're happy to keep on cruising and give it another try.

You're right--it isn't easy to find. I did find this one post: Boarded with letter

Otherwise, all I found were folks posting the rules and telling each other they needed a letter of recovery. No actual first-hand experience using a letter.

• Thanks 1

Thank you, IPB4IGO--I had seen that thread awhile back but because it was in Europe. . .  I had not seen the last couple of responses by folks who got on in Vancouver, so that's helpful.  I have photocopied the written HAL rule that says the rules about the process.  It's funny because HAL talks about recovery, yet what they want to see is the positive test result.  We do have a letter of recovery from the doctor as well. 

The issue always is how knowledgeable the folks are at the port because they are not experts or have to deal with this much, but usually, finally, there is one person who knows how to handle the entire process.

I find that HAL's written policies are poorly written in many cases when compared with Princess or Celebrity identical policies.

Thank you, IPB4IGO for being so helpful.  I have tried the search function several times on various things and I find it, quite frankly, totally not helpful.  Thank you for pursuing and helping me.

Oh, and Florida Gal, I'll remember to not be helpful to you, either, if you post a question since you "liked" Cruiser Bruce's reply to me.  Not the spirit of cruise critic.

Edited by 12cruise2

We are in the same boat 😀  my daughter and I had Covid early in July and we are cruising in Alaska next month. I have our PCR results but did not get a letter from our doctors (I had not even reported it to my doctor).  How do you go about getting this letter after the fact?  Was it as simple as showing them the PCR test results and asking for a letter (recognizing different doctor's may handle this differently).  I had called HAL and they just read me what is online which would read that the PCR test is sufficient.

We boarded the Zuiderdam in Vancouver in May. We had a positive PCR test result and did not have a letter of recovery nor did we need one. We were given chairs to sit on while they contacted the nurse on board to see if she wanted to do any further screening. She didn't. We had no symptoms and were visibly healthy so we were cleared to board. I would think that by now staff will be quite used to dealing with positive PCR tests. Hope this is still relevant as it was a few months ago. 

• Thanks 1

For some time after  you have recovered from Covid you may still test positive on a PCR test.  That is where the recovery letter from the doctor becomes significant if you want to cruise.  A doctor pointed this out to me this morning.  Good to know.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, esauer21 said:

We are in the same boat 😀  my daughter and I had Covid early in July and we are cruising in Alaska next month. I have our PCR results but did not get a letter from our doctors (I had not even reported it to my doctor).  How do you go about getting this letter after the fact?  Was it as simple as showing them the PCR test results and asking for a letter (recognizing different doctor's may handle this differently).  I had called HAL and they just read me what is online which would read that the PCR test is sufficient.

It's a letter on the medical office letterhead including its address, phone and current date from your doctor that says This is a Certificate of Recovery for (your name, DOB), a patient of mine.  (your name) was diagnosed with covid with a PCR test on (date).  A copy of this report is included with this certificate.  (your name) completed his/her isolation period on (11 days or more after the test date).  I have seen him in my office, he is free of symptoms and cleared to travel.  If you have any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to call.  Sincerely, (doctor's name and title).

I took the wording with me to the doctor, they examined me, typed the letter, signed it and gave me several copies.  It was done during a regular doctor visit.

This info above was what Celebrity cruises said they needed along with the copy of the positive test result.  This would be for embarkation no more than 90 days after the positive test.  Read the HAL specific rules re embarkation using a certificate of recovery--that is, for HAL, I think it's the positive test result and the rule also vaguely references a note of recovery.

• Like 3