New testing protocols

MeganGC1983

1 minute ago, jsglow said:

Are we really sure about that Prog?

We can't be sure of anything.

But there is nothing on the official Bahamas website that says anything about cruise pax visitors having different requirements from air or civilian boat visitors (I know one or two people who take their sailing boats to the Bahamas every now and then from Florida).

Maybe there are backroom deals and discussions on-going between these islands and the cruise lines.

But right now Carnival just looks silly and confused.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

We can't be sure of anything.

But there is nothing on the official Bahamas website that says anything about cruise pax visitors having different requirements from air or civilian boat visitors (I know one or two people who take their sailing boats to the Bahamas every now and then from Florida).

Maybe there are backroom deals and discussions on-going between these islands and the cruise lines.

But right now Carnival just looks silly and confused.

Okay Heald just spoke to the issue.......

"i’m afraid that’s completely and totally incorrect (answering a guy on FB who pointed out the No Test to Fly situation). The entire cruise industry has to test before going to the Bahamas and we would never say that if it was not 100% completely true. So again I’m not sure where you are getting this information but I can assure you that we would not be doing this if it was not requested and required and enforced by the Bermudan (I think he misspoke there) government. Cheers mate"

And after some more back and forth banter......

I’m not going to be able to persuade you that we are telling the truth and that we are working hard with the Bahamian government to change this rule. So please believe whatever you wish and I respectfully will just say that again we and the cruise industry have to follow the rules. Every single cruise ship guest disembarking in the Bahamas regardless of which cruise line must have a pre-cruise Covid test. Those are the rules. Cheers mate and have an absolutely brilliant day and I hope to see you soon

Carnival jumped the gun 'thinking' that they could get this Bahamas wrinkle worked out by Thursday.  Obviously they can't.  And RCCL is letting Carnival get absolutely hammered simply by remaining silent while negotiations continue.  Brilliant.

Edited by jsglow

OK it looks like Virgin might actually provide some clues here.  Originally Virgin's updated policy was that no testing was required at all for vaxxed or unvaxxed.  However, this update was made late last night: https://www.virginvoyages.com/voyage-well#general-information

It looks like unvaxxed are now required to test within 24 hours of departure.  This is indeed a big change.  It is possible the Bahamas was not happy with the possibility of having unvaxxed guests come to their island without testing so they made some changes.  Hopefully this is a compromise and Carnival follows (the compromise being that unvaxxed are required to test within 24 hours vs. 2 or 3 days, etc.).  What isn't clear though is why Carnival is saying that vaxxed guests are also required to test.  That part is still a mystery.....  unless perhaps Carnival is planning to sail with significant amount of unvaxxed and Bahamas isn't comfortable with that?  

I am on the Elation sailing out tomorrow, and I just received this email at 10am this morning

August 3, 2022

Dear Carnival Guest,

While we have previously communicated our plans to no longer require pre-cruise COVID testing for fully vaccinated guests on itineraries 5 days or shorter, this policy is subject to local destination requirements. Since the resumption of cruising, The Bahamas has required pre-cruise testing for all guests on ships calling in The Bahamas, regardless of itinerary length or a guest’s vaccination status. While we are hopeful that the Bahamas will continue to evolve its policies, pre-cruise testing requirements remain in effect. 

Therefore, in order to comply with destination requirements in The Bahamas, all guests (irrespective of vaccination status), age 2 and older, must provide proof of a negative PCR or antigen COVID test taken within three (3) days prior to embarkation.

Please make every attempt to get tested prior to arrival at the cruise terminal. Considering you will be departing for your cruise shortly, in the event you are unable to get the test done ahead of time, we have made arrangements for a limited number of tests to be taken at the pier for a reduced fee of US$30, per person, to be applied to your Sail & Sign account. Testing availability may be limited for each specific port, so you are strongly encouraged to complete the testing before your arrival.

CARNIVAL ELATION AUGUST 4, 2022, ONLY
If you are unable to get a test done externally, you may pre-register for a “in-car/drive through” test here. Testing will be conducted at the pier from 8:00 AM to 2:00 PM and pre-registration is mandatory.

We look forward to welcoming you on board your Carnival cruise vacation shortly.

Sincerely,

07a77fa4-70d2-4db5-aa5b-304088462675.jpg
Christine Duffy
President, Carnival Cruise Line

1 minute ago, carolinablue704 said:

I am on the Elation sailing out tomorrow, and I just received this email at 10am this morning

August 3, 2022

Dear Carnival Guest,

While we have previously communicated our plans to no longer require pre-cruise COVID testing for fully vaccinated guests on itineraries 5 days or shorter, this policy is subject to local destination requirements. Since the resumption of cruising, The Bahamas has required pre-cruise testing for all guests on ships calling in The Bahamas, regardless of itinerary length or a guest’s vaccination status. While we are hopeful that the Bahamas will continue to evolve its policies, pre-cruise testing requirements remain in effect. 

Therefore, in order to comply with destination requirements in The Bahamas, all guests (irrespective of vaccination status), age 2 and older, must provide proof of a negative PCR or antigen COVID test taken within three (3) days prior to embarkation.

Please make every attempt to get tested prior to arrival at the cruise terminal. Considering you will be departing for your cruise shortly, in the event you are unable to get the test done ahead of time, we have made arrangements for a limited number of tests to be taken at the pier for a reduced fee of US$30, per person, to be applied to your Sail & Sign account. Testing availability may be limited for each specific port, so you are strongly encouraged to complete the testing before your arrival.

If you are unable to get a test done externally, you may pre-register for a “in-car/drive through” test here. Testing will be conducted at the pier from 8:00 AM to 2:00 PM and pre-registration is mandatory.

We look forward to welcoming you on board your Carnival cruise vacation shortly.

Sincerely,

Christine Duffy

Wow, talk about last minute about face!  Day before!

Hope their "limited number" accounts for a crap load of people because they are going to need them.  How many people are going to be able to get tested now with 1 days notice?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, carolinablue704 said:

August 3, 2022

Dear Carnival Guest,

Sincerely,

Christine Duffy

HA! How ridiculous!! What the heck is going on at Carnival!?

• Like 2

I think that most of the disappointment, at least from my view, is not so much in the testing, because I get it, things are fluid and you have to roll with the punches, but moreso in the lack of consistent communication.  When the original change in policy was announced, I received an email about it right away, but for some reason, with this revision, the email didn't come until this morning, even though the website had been updated some time on August 1st. 

I am not a dialed in facebook or social media person, so the only reason I happened to find out about the revision was because I am a logistics nerd who is "borderline OCD" about this type of stuff, but no one else I talked to knew anything about it until I told them.  In fact, they thought I was joking around as they said "no way it changed as we didn't get any email from Carnival, so whatever".  Thankfully, I was able to convince them and everyone got their previously canceled tests rescheduled for today, but am wondering how many will not be so lucky...

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Fredric22 said:Hopefully this is a compromise and Carnival follows (the compromise being that unvaxxed are required to test within 24 hours vs. 2 or 3 days, etc.).  What isn't clear though is why Carnival is saying that vaxxed guests are also required to test.  That part is still a mystery.....  unless perhaps Carnival is planning to sail with significant amount of unvaxxed and Bahamas isn't comfortable with that?  

The percentage of unvaccinated guests onboard was my thought as well. Either Carnival was allowing more unvaccinated than the Bahamas wanted to allow or Carnival decided to just test everyone going to the Bahamas rather than having those at the pier having to verify who did and did not need a test. 

Whatever the reason, there is going to be lots of confusion and angry passengers at the piers tomorrow. Updating the website on Monday, but not sending the email until a day before some are cruising is a PR nightmare. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JT1962 said:

....or Carnival decided to just test everyone going to the Bahamas rather than having those at the pier having to verify who did and did not need a test. 

It wouldn't be hard to verify. If you don't have a vaccination card, show a negative test. This is what I'm hoping is what happens. No reason we all need to be tested when you can fly in for a week and be around hundreds of locals and not have to be tested.

• Like 1

Once I posted the following I was taken to this page which provides the answer I was looking for.  Thanks.

Can anyone add further to this:  On Friday CCL, on their website, stated that pre cruise covid testing was no longer required for cruises under 5 days, unless the destination required differently.

Yesterday they changed that stating that Bahamas would require testing no matter the length of the cruise.

Going to the Bahamas website it states no covid testing for entry or travel within is required.

Can anyone clarify what might be happening here?

Edited by bbmerlin
found answer to question

8 minutes ago, bbmerlin said:

Can anyone add further to this:  On Friday CCL, on their website, stated that pre cruise covid testing was no longer required for cruises under 5 days, unless the destination required differently.

Yesterday they changed that stating that Bahamas would require testing no matter the length of the cruise.

Going to the Bahamas website it states no covid testing for entry or travel within is required.

Can anyone clarify what might be happening here?

I believe there are different rules for cruise ships, and all those rules are passed down through the cruise lines. The country website information applies to people traveling as individuals (like on a plane) and not on a cruise ship. They probably think there is no need to post cruise line guidelines on their website because the tourists will get that info from the cruise line. It's not like an individual is going to come rolling up in a cruise ship by themselves.

Royal's website still says testing is required for all cruises, BTW. It says information will be forthcoming something this week to individuals sailing, or something like that. I imagine they'll soon make the public announcement that aligns with Carnival. Other than saying they're eliminating testing, it doesn't look like they've provided specific information--just that it will be forthcoming.

It sucks for everyone. Carnival doesn't want to deal with this any more than the passengers do, but at the end of the day, they have to follow the rules for where they're going. That being said, I wouldn't want to be in the cruise terminals the next few days for the shorter cruises. I can only imagine the chaos and you know it's going to be ugly at times. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

How it works:

circle-info-icon.png Carnival is pleased to announce that we are adjusting certain protocols to reflect the lifting of CDC requirements for the U.S. cruise industry. These changes will be made in phases, with the first taking effect on Thursday, August 4, 2022, and focused on short cruise itineraries of 5 nights or less. All changes are subject to any requirements of destinations on the itinerary. We are waiting to hear back from certain destinations and these protocols will continue to evolve.

AS I posted the other day...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JessieMae said:

I believe there are different rules for cruise ships, and all those rules are passed down through the cruise lines. The country website information applies to people traveling as individuals (like on a plane) and not on a cruise ship. They probably think there is no need to post cruise line guidelines on their website because the tourists will get that info from the cruise line. It's not like an individual is going to come rolling up in a cruise ship by themselves.

Royal's website still says testing is required for all cruises, BTW. It says information will be forthcoming something this week to individuals sailing, or something like that. I imagine they'll soon make the public announcement that aligns with Carnival. Other than saying they're eliminating testing, it doesn't look like they've provided specific information--just that it will be forthcoming.

It sucks for everyone. Carnival doesn't want to deal with this any more than the passengers do, but at the end of the day, they have to follow the rules for where they're going. That being said, I wouldn't want to be in the cruise terminals the next few days for the shorter cruises. I can only imagine the chaos and you know it's going to be ugly at times. 

Carnival Elation tomorrow (8/4).  Good thing is we all tested negative today, so one less thing to worry about now.  Will be doing a later than normal check in time, so hopefully we miss most of the um “festivities”.

Edited by carolinablue704

On 8/2/2022 at 3:02 PM, JT1962 said:

I would definitely use VeriFLY, if you have not already planned on it. Make sure to upload your test results. It should help you bypass those that are arguing with the personnel at the pier about the testing requirement. You may only have a few dozen other fellow passengers with you at the buffet for the first few hours.

I feel sorry for the workers at the port that will have to feel the brunt of the angry passengers. Most, if not all, do not work for the cruise line, but are the front line workers that have to deal with the mess the cruise lines cause with ever changing policies.  

A lot of this confusion could be resolved if they made sure of all of the requirements before releasing statements trying to keep up with or beat their competition.  Between the lack of staffing, complaints about the food quality, the ever-changing Covid rules, etc., it will be a wonder if anyone decides to cruise again for a long time.

I downloaded VeriFLY. Appreciate the tip! Its interesting that it says I am ready to sail for my Aug 15 trip to Bahamas and there is no caution that I need to upload neg covid results. I'm guessing they took the info from Friday and eliminated the requirement and havent updated the app yet with the new info from 8/1...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Fredric22 said:

This would be true however other cruise lines are not requiring testing.... so something else is up. 

Eh...give it time. I bet we'll be hearing from the other cruise lines soon. Testing is a headache for everyone, including Carnival. If they could do away with it, they would. 

5 hours ago, cruisekel1 said:

I downloaded VeriFLY. Appreciate the tip! Its interesting that it says I am ready to sail for my Aug 15 trip to Bahamas and there is no caution that I need to upload neg covid results. I'm guessing they took the info from Friday and eliminated the requirement and havent updated the app yet with the new info from 8/1...

Ditto that

VeriFLY app clearly says my next sailing is complete and I'm "Ready to Sail". 

Appears the developers communicated with CCL and made a change . . . that they'll now have to correct.

Still nothing new to see here:

Due to destination requirements, ALL guests on itineraries that include Bahamas, Bermuda and Grand Cayman must complete a pre-cruise test, irrespective of the length of the cruise.

What other cruise lines do is irrelevant.

7 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Still nothing new to see here:

Due to destination requirements, ALL guests on itineraries that include Bahamas, Bermuda and Grand Cayman must complete a pre-cruise test, irrespective of the length of the cruise.

What other cruise lines do is irrelevant.

Really took the wind out of John Heald's "first major step towards normalcy" sails.