Carnival in Grand Turk

kelkel2

I noticed Grand Turk has 3 ships scheduled to be in port the day we’re supposed to dock there in January. It’s the Mardi Gras, a Costa ship and a NCL ship. I thought Grand Turk only could accommodate 2 ships? Or am I remembering wrong? What happens if all 3 are scheduled for the same day and how does it get decided what ship gets the boot? I’m just curious as I love this port. It won’t ruin the cruise, but I would be sad. 

Grand Turk is still an carnival corporation exclusive island. before covid, grand turk was planning to allow other ships like NCL to dock at the port. Since COVID, no NCL ship has ever docked at grand turk and still remains a carnival exclusive port.

the mardi gra and the costa ship will be the only 2 ships in port that day

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, shof515 said:

Grand Turk is still an carnival corporation exclusive island. before covid, grand turk was planning to allow other ships like NCL to dock at the port. Since COVID, no NCL ship has ever docked at grand turk and still remains a carnival exclusive port.

the mardi gra and the costa ship will be the only 2 ships in port that day

I don't see anything beyond September on this GT schedule, but I do see Celebrity Infinity listed.

https://www.grandturkcc.com/Port-Schedule.aspx

10 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

I don't see anything beyond September on this GT schedule, but I do see Celebrity Infinity listed.

https://www.grandturkcc.com/Port-Schedule.aspx

OP might be looking at of the many unofficial cruise ship schedules sites like cruise time table website here:https://www.cruisetimetables.com/grand-turk-turks-and-caicos-cruise-ship-schedule-2023.html that show NCL and other cruise lines

41 minutes ago, shof515 said:

OP might be looking at of the many unofficial cruise ship schedules sites like cruise time table website here:https://www.cruisetimetables.com/grand-turk-turks-and-caicos-cruise-ship-schedule-2023.html that show NCL and other cruise lines

They must be. I wouldn't bet a lot on the accuracy of those 

11 hours ago, shof515 said:

Grand Turk is still an carnival corporation exclusive island.

I don't think is it Carnival Corp exclusive, just CCL-preferred because they poured some cash in to develop the Cruise Center.  GT is not a private-island (isn't even an island...)

Now, PC or HMC?  Def CCL-exclusive.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

I don't think is it Carnival Corp exclusive, just CCL-preferred because they poured some cash in to develop the Cruise Center.  GT is not a private-island (isn't even an island...)

Now, PC or HMC?  Def CCL-exclusive.

Correct, the government of Turk and Caicos gave Carnival a lease but sold no land or exclusive rights to Carnival PLC.

Rarely used however, Grand Turk actually has an additional Tender Pier located 400 feet to the south of the main pier. The Tender/Excursion Pier is 200 feet long. 

Information below:

20220801-101725.jpg

⚠️-----Ships that absolutely (HAVE TO) tender at Grand Turk do not drop anchor, they drift.

Above info located @:

https://www.grandturkcc.com/port-information/port-specifications.aspx

🙂

Edited by ObstructedView2

2 hours ago, Jelly_Toast said:

It looks like an island to me unless I don't understand what you're saying here.

grand-turk-map-2015.thumb.jpg.cafe586a64accca83f248624868902a7.jpg

Well, everything in the Caribbean, if it isn't mainland North/South/Central America, is an island.

But many cruisers treat the Grand Turk cruise center area as though it is the only thing on that "island".  Similar to Princess Cays - the southern tip of a populated island.

Compare to HMC, which really is just an island for cruise pax and not much else.

2 hours ago, ObstructedView2 said:

Rarely used however, Grand Turk actually has an additional Tender Pier located 400 feet to the south of the main pier. The Tender/Excursion Pier is 200 feet long. 

🙂

i noticed it is mostly used for the shore excursion that use a boat like the snorkel excursions 

23 hours ago, shof515 said:

That’s exactly what I was looking at. I didn’t know it wasn’t accurate. Thanks for the info!

While Grand Turk IS a Carnival-built port, it's clear they are allowing other lines to dock there -- and presumably charging a pretty penny for the privilege.   And why not?  GT is one of the best purpose-built cruise ports around.   Might even be some extra revenue for Carnival when they need it.  

Carnival did this -- and might still be doing this -- with Amber Cove also, another nice port they built in the D.R.  Other cruise lines were being allowed to dock there, likely because the new cruise port over by Puerta Plata had not yet been completed.   

I've been on a Royal ship to Grand Turk, a big music charter (60 bands, 4 stages) on the Indy.   At the time the Jack's Shack said it was the biggest ship ever to make port there.   It almost looked like the stern of the ship was in front of Jack's.  It wasn't....quite.  🙂   

1 hour ago, Pellaz said:

Carnival did this -- and might still be doing this -- with Amber Cove also, another nice port they built in the D.R.  Other cruise lines were being allowed to dock there, likely because the new cruise port over by Puerta Plata had not yet been completed.   

the port in Puerta Plata is called Taino Bay is completed and ships currently docked there. A few months ago, an NCL ran aground while leaving port. This caused concern for NCL and other cruise lines with big ships docking at this port and if there is an slot, they will dock at amber cove instead

On 8/2/2022 at 6:27 AM, shof515 said:

the port in Puerta Plata is called Taino Bay is completed and ships currently docked there. A few months ago, an NCL ran aground while leaving port. This caused concern for NCL and other cruise lines with big ships docking at this port and if there is an slot, they will dock at amber cove instead

Do you know when they finished it?  I looked at Google satellite view and voila, there was the port, with a ship docked.  

2 hours ago, Pellaz said:

Do you know when they finished it?  I looked at Google satellite view and voila, there was the port, with a ship docked.  

various reports say it was open for ships in December 2021

• Like 1