When do you HAVE to get off?

McDebbie

Last year on the Zuiderdam we were taking our sweet time getting off the ship, we live in Ft Lauderdale and had a car waiting so there was no big hurry to get home and start the laundry. As we passed the Ocean Bar our favorite waiter was standing at the door and asked "are you weddy for some dwinks?" :D We just laughed and said "later" but could we have been spending the morning in the bar? Is there a time they "make" you get off? I guess after awhile they turn off your card but do they do a sweep to see if all passengers are off before they let on the new ones? This was pretty close to 11am and I know some people have said they've been able to get on the ship by 11:30, could we have stayed and had another lunch at the Lido? ;)

I think there is a certain time that they will make an announcement that EVERYONE should be off the ship and to immediately proceed to the gangway for disembarkation. They will know if there are still people aboard because they can track the keycards and will know that a couple of people or whatever have not disembarked. I think that time would vary by sailing, but would always have to be before embarkation begins for the next cruise.

Some lines, mostly the luxury ones, will let folks stay onboard all day if they have to catch an evening flight home. I think I've read that the Paul Gaughin (Radisson) does this. The folks have to vacate their staterooms, but can enjoy the ammenities of the ship until it's time to head for the airport. But, HAL and most of the mass market lines want you off before the new folks get on. Maybe it has something to do with customs?

Blue skies ...

--rita

We have done quite a few back-to-back cruises out of Ft Lauderdale.

Intransit passengers are the last group to be called off the ship to go through immigration. And we can't get back on the ship until ALL passengers are off the ship. A couple of times we have waited 40 minutes or more for the signal that we can get back on the ship. And they won't let the new arriving passengers get on until that signal is given.

So please be considerate and get off the ship by 9:30 - 10.

Thank you.

They must have had a problem that day because there were still plenty of us waiting for our numbers to be called and it was close to 11. Oh well, so much for my idea of staying on...

US Immigration Officers are:

1. Unionized

2. American Government Employees

3. carrying guns

Add those three things together and it's not pretty. Around 10 or 10:30 in the morning, they get a bit cranky when foot dragging passengers cut into their coffee and donut break. At that point you start hearing announcements about $5,000 fines and/or jail terms for passengers who are late for Immigration procedures.

I would recommend and choose not to upset them.

If you leave the ship at 10:30, the crew has only one hour to clean up all the public areas for the new passengers arriving at 11:30. That's not much time. It would be a shame for new passengers to embark on a dirty ship. Not a great start to a cruise.

When they pry your fingers off your verandah railing and drag you to the gangway!

I was thinking the same thing. When they drag you out from under the bed where you had hidden. When they catch up with you as you keep running away from them.

More likely you can stay on if you give them lots and lots of $$$$$$$$$ :D

Actually I agree with KK we have also done many B2B and had to wait quite awhile to get back on due to lollygaglers ;) .

Can you still wait in your cabin in the morning until they call your number to get off? That was the case on my last HAL cruise back in 2003.

I can't remember if one can order room service the last day.

Thanks

dsawyer, yes and yes.

You may stay in your cabin, or enjoy a public area until your number is up.

I consider room service breakfast a necessary civilized luxury that last morning. To be able to dress, eat, and finish that last minute packing at my leisure is a gentle finish to a delightful cruise.

Last week on the Zaandam, in Ft. Lauderdale, The disembarkation instructions specifically said that everyone had to be off by 10. I am sure that because customs and immigration officials are now stationed in the terminal checking documents and taking customs declarations has a great deal to do with this.

First, I am not a malinger'er....if that is a word. My poor sister is, we have dragged her kicking and screaming from many destinations.

Second, I want to leave before making it hard on anyone else who is starting or stoppint their vacation time.

Third, I am already planning and dreaming when will my next time off and trip be and where and how.......

Fourth, I do not want to be thrown overboard and ruin a perfect traveling outfit, plus all the weight of my baggage...we would be a soggy mess.

Linda

dsawyer, yes and yes.

You may stay in your cabin, or enjoy a public area until your number is up.

I consider room service breakfast a necessary civilized luxury that last morning. To be able to dress, eat, and finish that last minute packing at my leisure is a gentle finish to a delightful cruise.

That's the thing I really like about HAL. On Princess, you have to vacate the cabin and wait in one of the public lounges. Believe me, if you don't have the required number of cruises to use the priority disembarkation lounge, you're packed with everyone else in the public lounge ... standing room only ... people sitting on the stairs, etc.

With HAL it's nice ... I just went to breakfast, left my carry-on's on the sofa, and my cabin steward was free to at least make the bed up for the new passengers. Once they started calling disembarkation colors, I was able to head back to the cabin to retrieve my stuff and use the facilities. Made for a very calm and civilized way to end a wonderful cruise.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Archived