Westerdam to Alaska

Iamthesea

We are looking into this cruise for this coming September. Having been on the Oosterdam, we thought that the Westerdam SS balcony suites would be perfect for glacier watching because of the comfy cushioned chairs/ottomans, and the blankets. After having looked at some photo's of the Westerdam SS suites, I noticed that the cushions were missing from the balconies. :eek: Did HAL eliminate them on the Westerdam?

Has anyone ever taken the "W" to Alaska and what did you think of the itinerary?

We were in an SY on the Navigation deck. It was wonderful, with lots of closet space and storage and that incredible bathroom with whirlpool tub/shower and separate shower stall. It was our first HAL cruise and compared to the balcony cabins on Princess ships it felt like a mansion:D. On Princess we only had a small (very small) shower in which you bumped your elbows when you turned around.:p

I don't know the departure port for the W, but keep in mind that the Seattle departures are not inside passage so one misses alot of great scenes and gets more out to sea days.

Gary

We just booked a cruise in June to Alaska in the SZ cat. I also was wondering what the difference in these were? Looks like there are 6 cat that have the same sq ft. We haven't cruised Holland before. Seems like the posts are positive. Any tips from any one.

It will be out of Seattle and we will see Glacier Bay, so we will keep the port side in mind. We realize that we will be missing a lot by going out of Seattle, however the timing and price fit our budget better. We have been very hesitant about taking an Alaskan cruise because we do love the warmer climate cruises. If we like this "taste" of Alaska, then we can always book another at a later time.

We love Seattle, so we will stay an extra night or two there before or after the cruise.:) We have been to Vancouver a few times and only Seattle once, so the change will be nice. I believe we only have one sea day on the way out and being it will be mid September, we are hoping the weather will be warm enough to get out on deck (even if we are dressed in warm clothes :D ) and read a book.

We were in SS 8087 & 8090 on the Oosterdam. Looks like they are still labeled SS suites. It was a good location, so we will try to stay in that area on the port side. Thanks!

We are booked on the Westerdam. It looks like it comes back down the inside passage and stops at Junea, Etc. Is this not correct?
Here is our schedule and a map:

Sunday, September 17, 2006Seattle, Washington--04:00 PMMonday, September 18, 2006 At Sea----Tuesday, September 19, 2006 Glacier Bay, Alaska 11:00 AM08:00 PMWednesday, September 20, 2006 Juneau, Alaska 07:00 AM08:00 PMThursday, September 21, 2006 Sitka, Alaska 08:00 AM04:00 PMFriday, September 22, 2006 Ketchikan, Alaska 07:00 AM01:00 PMSaturday, September 23, 2006 Victoria, British Columbia 06:00 PM12:00 AMSunday, September 24, 2006 Seattle, Washington07:00 AM--

map_ac.jpg

It will be out of Seattle and we will see Glacier Bay, so we will keep the port side in mind. We realize that we will be missing a lot by going out of Seattle, however the timing and price fit our budget better. We have been very hesitant about taking an Alaskan cruise because we do love the warmer climate cruises. If we like this "taste" of Alaska, then we can always book another at a later time.

We love Seattle, so we will stay an extra night or two there before or after the cruise.:) We have been to Vancouver a few times and only Seattle once, so the change will be nice. I believe we only have one sea day on the way out and being it will be mid September, we are hoping the weather will be warm enough to get out on deck (even if we are dressed in warm clothes :D ) and read a book.

We were in SS 8087 & 8090 on the Oosterdam. Looks like they are still labeled SS suites. It was a good location, so we will try to stay in that area on the port side. Thanks!

Sorry but sailing mid Sept won't have you sitting out on deck reading a book unless you have plenty of layers and knit hat and gloves on. It is cold during the sailing, less so in ports. You have 2 sea days, your first and last day, most all open ocean and no scenery.

Sorry but sailing mid Sept won't have you sitting out on deck reading a book unless you have plenty of layers and knit hat and gloves on. It is cold during the sailing, less so in ports. You have 2 sea days, your first and last day, most all open ocean and no scenery.
Oh well! Wishful thinking. :D I can stand the cold pretty well if the sun is out. We don't seem to have a sea day coming back, though. We get to Victoria at 6:00pm and leave at midnight to cruise the rest of the way back to Seattle, arriving the next morning.

Here is a good guide for dress:

http://www.hollandamerica.com/pdfs/guests/PackingForAlaska_FactSheet.pdf

Will the covered pool area be warm enough for swimming/hot tub?

I don't know the departure port for the W, but keep in mind that the Seattle departures are not inside passage so one misses alot of great scenes and gets more out to sea days.

Gary

So what route is this? We too are going on The Westerdam from Seattle via Glacier Bay. Does this mean we will not be going in the Inside Passage at all? Or we will coming back? I am just a little confused.:confused:

Please explain.

Thanks

So what route is this? We too are going on The Westerdam from Seattle via Glacier Bay. Does this mean we will not be going in the Inside Passage at all? Or we will coming back? I am just a little confused.:confused:

Please explain.

Thanks

Seattle departures have way more open ocean sailing compared to round trip Vancouver. You do have plenty of scenery in Glacier bay and you do sail inside passage for Juneau, Skagway , as you can't get there without it. :)

Oh well! Wishful thinking. :D I can stand the cold pretty well if the sun is out. We don't seem to have a sea day coming back, though. We get to Victoria at 6:00pm and leave at midnight to cruise the rest of the way back to Seattle, arriving the next morning.

Here is a good guide for dress:

http://www.hollandamerica.com/pdfs/guests/PackingForAlaska_FactSheet.pdf

Will the covered pool area be warm enough for swimming/hot tub?

For clairfication, this day is referenced as a "sea day" since it does not sail inside passage. Open ocean rather than scenic sailing inside Vancouver Island.

We are going on June 4 and it goes to Hubbard, the rest looks about the same. Does anyone know how cold it will be then? Know it is colder, but hope it not so cold we can't sit out and watch the glaciers for a little while.

In Alaska no matter when you go, you need hat and gloves for comfort with the glacier sailing day. Have plenty of layers.

For clairfication, this day is referenced as a "sea day" since it does not sail inside passage. Open ocean rather than scenic sailing inside Vancouver Island.
Thanks for the clarification! I guess that I didn't think about the fact that we would not be getting to Victoria until 6:00 that evening, therefore we will be at sea most of that day. :rolleyes: Sounds like a dining room breakfast and reading beside the indoor pool! Does the covered area stay warm enough?

Thanks so much for all the help...I have learned a lot!

BTW - Our itinerary does not go to Skagway.

Archived