I'm a HAL convert

PattiPB

The title says it all! After 20 cruises on other lines (check my siggie line if you're interested) we jumped on an Alaskan itinerary on the Westerdam in July. Originally booked for July 2019, we finally made the trip as a multi-family group with four adults and six young adults. We loved EVERYTHING! The smaller ship was beautiful. All of the bars were flowing (we all had HIA). Entertainment was all LIVE and plentiful. Food was superior.

Two reasons for this post:

1. Thank you to everyone on this board who posts information---I read it religiously in preparation for this cruise

2. People on the HAL fence---it was great for these late 50's adults and mid-20's "kids". We found so much to do, and so many entertainment venues, we were always busy.  

No more time to chat...looking for another HAL adventure!! 

• Like 28

I am so glad to hear this! I just booked a solo trip Sept 2023 to Alaska on the Eurodam and I am in my mid 40s and am really looking forward to a more laid back and yet still social kind of ship and this seems perfect! Thanks for sharing!

Natalie

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Nataliea621 said:

I am so glad to hear this! I just booked a solo trip Sept 2023 to Alaska on the Eurodam and I am in my mid 40s and am really looking forward to a more laid back and yet still social kind of ship and this seems perfect! Thanks for sharing!

Natalie

We love HAL, even though we know her faults, and have over 25 cruises with HAL.  Once you get to 4 or 5 Stars its really hard to sail on another line and give up those perks.

By the way - I know Forty Fort as I was born nearby in Wilkes-Barre and still have many relatives there.  When they put in the 309 bridge to Forty Fort they had to take my Grandma's  house off of Main Street.  

Edited by DaveOKC

1 minute ago, DaveOKC said:

We love HAL, even though we know her faults, and have over 25 cruises with HAL.  Once you get to 4 or 5 Stars its really hard to sail on another line and give up those perks.

By the way - I know Forty Fort as I was born nearby in Wilkes-Barre and still have many relatives there.  When they put in the 309 bridge to Forty Fort they had to take my Grandma's  house on River Street.

Small world! I also splurged and have a an aft balcony 8179, I hope I picked well! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nataliea621 said:

Small world! I also splurged and have a an aft balcony 8179, I hope I picked well! 

IMO, 8179 is a great choice for an Alaska cruise - you will love the views!

Another WB point - my Uncle owned Dukey's bar on Pennsylvania Ave, in Brookside (next to the brewery).

20 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

IMO, 8179 is a great choice for an Alaska cruise - you will love the views!

Another WB point - my Uncle owned Dukey's bar on Pennsylvania Ave, in Brookside (next to the brewery).

No way! I love Dukeys! Also I am big on family history and do that as my side job. I have family who lived in Irishtown/Hudson. And they attended Holy Resurrection in WB. 

And super excited about my choice for a balcony. Thanks for reaffirming my decision. Now to choose excursions etc.

Natalie

1 minute ago, DaveOKC said:

Natalie - do you remember the Sable family in FF?  Susan Sable was my aunt.

Do you need any advice on excursions?  We have been to Alaska many times.

I don't remember that family, sorry. And I would love to hear your recommendations. I am solo and going at the end of the season Sept 30-Oct 7 2023 on the Eurodam and I am prepared for the weather(grew up in PNW, lived in Wyoming, Maine, VT, etc) so I know some excursions might not be available. But these are things I am interested in: Juneau- Kind of want to splurge on the Tracy Arm Fjord excursion with my $100 off it seems like a good deal, Sitka- Might do it on my own or a history tour or the Ghost one, Ketchikan- Either Bering Strait or the trolley, Icy Strait- walk around on my own- short time and it will be dark., And specialty dining on Victoria night. But I am open to other ideas or suggestions. 

Natalie

5 minutes ago, Nataliea621 said:

I don't remember that family, sorry. And I would love to hear your recommendations. I am solo and going at the end of the season Sept 30-Oct 7 2023 on the Eurodam and I am prepared for the weather(grew up in PNW, lived in Wyoming, Maine, VT, etc) so I know some excursions might not be available. But these are things I am interested in: Juneau- Kind of want to splurge on the Tracy Arm Fjord excursion with my $100 off it seems like a good deal, Sitka- Might do it on my own or a history tour or the Ghost one, Ketchikan- Either Bering Strait or the trolley, Icy Strait- walk around on my own- short time and it will be dark., And specialty dining on Victoria night. But I am open to other ideas or suggestions. 

Natalie

I am also on the Eurodam so know your schedule (mine is in late August).  Sorry to advise that our Tracey Arm excursion (which I was really looking forward to) was JUST today cancelled, so be careful with this one.  In Juneau I would advise the whale watching and Mendenhaul glacier excursion.  Both stops are very worthwhile and the whales were abundant.

In Ketchikan there is not much time.  I would just walk a few blocks to Creek Street, go up the boardwalk and see all the shops and the salmon running in the stream.  Then take the Funicular (tram) up the hill to the Civic Center and Totem Park if you are up to walking to see the totem poles.  On the way down follow Married Man trail back to the city and you will run into the fish ladder (fun to watch and very interesting).  Return to town and visit the shops on the pier.  Do a bit more research on this as I am sure I missed something.

In Sitka get a map from the visitor center and set up a walking tour for yourself.  Go to the Raptor Center and the park there.  On the way back stop at some of the other points of interest to you, especially the Russian Orthodox Church (my mom's side went to the one in WB) - very interesting.  Also, be sure to visit the Totem Pole park there.  IMO, no need for a tour in Sitka, unless walking is a problem for you.

In Icy Point Straight I know you are there late n the day, but I would consider taking the whale watching tour (best one we have been on (of 10)) and you likely will see bubble feeding by the whales (rare to see this).  Otherwise, just walk into the cannery area from the ship and nose around.

Also in Juneau you can take the Mt. Roberts Tram to the top of the mountain for some great views.  Be sure to wait to purchase your tickets until you are there as the weather might not be good.

One more thing - while on the Eurodam visit the Tamarind specialty dining.  Its on deck 11 as I recall and the views are great (it would be a nice place to dine on a late port day such as Juneau as you can see the area lit up.

Dave

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

I am also on the Eurodam so know your schedule (mine is in late August).  Sorry to advise that our Tracey Arm excursion (which I was really looking forward to) was JUST today cancelled, so be careful with this one.  In Juneau I would advise the whale watching and Mendenhaul glacier excursion.  Both stops are very worthwhile and the whales were abundant.

In Ketchikan there is not much time.  I would just walk a few blocks to Creek Street, go up the boardwalk and see all the shops and the salmon running in the stream.  Then take the Funicular (tram) up the hill to the Civic Center and Totem Park if you are up to walking to see the totem poles.  On the way down follow Married Man trail back to the city and you will run into the fish ladder (fun to watch and very interesting).  Return to town and visit the shops on the pier.  Do a bit more research on this as I am sure I missed something.

In Sitka get a map from the visitor center and set up a walking tour for yourself.  Go to the Raptor Center and the park there.  On the way back stop at some of the other points of interest to you, especially the Russian Orthodox Church (my mom's side went to the one in WB) - very interesting.  Also, be sure to visit the Totem Pole park there.  IMO, no need for a tour in Sitka, unless walking is a problem for you.

In Icy Point Straight I know you are there late n the day, but I would consider taking the whale watching tour (best one we have been on (of 10)) and you likely will see bubble feeding by the whales (rare to see this).  Otherwise, just walk into the cannery area from the ship and nose around.

Also in Juneau you can take the Mt. Roberts Tram to the top of the mountain for some great views.  Be sure to wait to purchase your tickets until you are there as the weather might not be good.

One more thing - while on the Eurodam visit the Tamarind specialty dining.  Its on deck 11 as I recall and the views are great (it would be a nice place to dine on a late port day such as Juneau as you can see the area lit up.

Dave

This is super helpful! So I can pretty much save money and do most of the touring on my own which I probably would prefer. Thanks! And especially at the end of the season more of a reason to support the local businesses. And yes that is why I picked the Eurodam for Sitka! My family also attended Holy Resurrection in WB. And then they went to Holy Trinity. Once again small world. My family were Carpatho-Rusyns(Lemkos) not Russian but attended that church because they were Greek Catholic in the old country but switched once they got here. Long story! I want to hit bars, and restaurants too! And do more historical things and it seems Sitka and Ketchikan have that. Thanks again!

Natalie