Last minute shorex purchase on Medallion App

junglejane

Just got back from the Emerald Princess British Isles cruise 7/20-8/1. I discovered that you can book a last minute shore excursion on your Medallion app (subject to availability of course). And by last minute I mean we did it after 10 pm the night before. I thought I'd share this if others aren't aware of the possibility. Not something to count on, but good to know for procrastinators or those, like us, whose best laid plans to awry. 

We normally don't do Princess shore excursions, prefering private excursions or DIY. For Newcastle, we planned to take the metro to the city centre to see the castle, cathedral and surrounding area and possibly some other stops. I attended the onboard shore talk where the Princess rep mentioned this option, the cost of a one day ticket, and how to get to the metro station. So all sounded good until about 9 pm the night before when DH was looking at the metro website and realized that the metro line we would want to use was closed for maintenance! The shorex desk had closed at 7 pm so I thought we were going to have to take taxis everywhere. But then I realized that there were still some shore excursions open on the app. So at 10:15 pm we booked the shore excursion to Bamburgh Castle and Landisfarne Priory. The excursion was scheduled for 7:30 am and I was worried about getting our tickets but they showed up at our door at 6:30 am. This is one situation where the Medallion app proved very useful to us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, junglejane said:

Just got back from the Emerald Princess British Isles cruise 7/20-8/1. I discovered that you can book a last minute shore excursion on your Medallion app (subject to availability of course). And by last minute I mean we did it after 10 pm the night before. I thought I'd share this if others aren't aware of the possibility. Not something to count on, but good to know for procrastinators or those, like us, whose best laid plans to awry. 

We normally don't do Princess shore excursions, prefering private excursions or DIY. For Newcastle, we planned to take the metro to the city centre to see the castle, cathedral and surrounding area and possibly some other stops. I attended the onboard shore talk where the Princess rep mentioned this option, the cost of a one day ticket, and how to get to the metro station. So all sounded good until about 9 pm the night before when DH was looking at the metro website and realized that the metro line we would want to use was closed for maintenance! The shorex desk had closed at 7 pm so I thought we were going to have to take taxis everywhere. But then I realized that there were still some shore excursions open on the app. So at 10:15 pm we booked the shore excursion to Bamburgh Castle and Landisfarne Priory. The excursion was scheduled for 7:30 am and I was worried about getting our tickets but they showed up at our door at 6:30 am. This is one situation where the Medallion app proved very useful to us.

Was this shown on your JourneyView section on the App, perhaps because you were so close to embarkation?

I don’t show you can book them yet on the App ahead of time, just on the website cruise personalizer.

I'm talking about last minute booking while onboard the ship. Newcastle was our second to last port, and I booked the shore excursion late the night before Newcastle.

Booking ahead of time on the personalizer is of course the best way to be sure you get what you want. But once you are onboard, you can book shore excursions on your Medallion app or on the stateroom TV. They had a sign up at the Shore Excursion desk that says something like: "Don't want to wait in line? Book on the app!" The think it was the Journey View section, but whatever it was was easy to find once I went looking for it.

• Like 1

Just now, junglejane said:

I'm talking about last minute booking while onboard the ship. Newcastle was our second to last port, and I booked the shore excursion late the night before Newcastle.

Booking ahead of time on the personalizer is of course the best way to be sure you get what you want. But once you are onboard, you can book shore excursions on your Medallion app or on the stateroom TV. They had a sign up at the Shore Excursion desk that says something like: "Don't want to wait in line? Book on the app!" The think it was the Journey View section, but whatever it was was easy to find once I went looking for it.

Got it!  Thanks for that explanation.

That I have done.  It worked very well.

• Like 1

I booked shorex last-minute via Medallion twice, and what I learned is not to expect to get your tickets in your cabin.  The second time, I visited the shorex desk and they had them.  The first time, no tickets at all, but I showed them my medallion app and they had us handwritten in on some manifest list.  The tour guides had to coordinate our last-minute addition, since there were a couple lists they had which we were not on.   It all went okay for us, but the potential for something to go wrong was there.

Yes I was worried because our excursion was leaving before the shorex desk was due to open. At 6:00 am I checked at passenger services and they gave me a printout of my account and said to just show that to prove we had booked. But by the time I got back to my stateroom the tickets had shown up. 

• Thanks 1