Quantum of the Seas -- Recent cruises to Alaska

3 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

I just want to know how shore excursions will be handled in Juneau as the ship now arrives in early morning and leaves at 3pm instead of leaving at 8pm.  A lot of nice excursions are in mid afternoon like my glacier and Salmon bake.  Hoping it gets moved up 3 hours and the salmon is now lunch instead of dinner..  time will tell I guess.  Looks like some other ports now leave at 4pm instead of 5 pm.

Most times, the shoreex will be rescheduled. If the tour provider can not support a reschedule (i.e., they have other ships to service), then the shoreex will be cancelled. 

22 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Most times, the shoreex will be rescheduled. If the tour provider can not support a reschedule (i.e., they have other ships to service), then the shoreex will be cancelled. 

well I hope so as a lot of tours were scheduled for 1-2 pm and now the ship leaves at 3pm.

Gonna be a whole of rescheduling and requesting from the vendors to change.   

My ADV OTS dropped Halifax and I got my OBC refunded but in the last 30 days nothing has opened or shown for Sydney so I guess RCI is trying to create excursions now for this ship that was supposed to go to Halifax.  I do not mind as I have been to Halifax 4 times and Sydney only once.

Getting really frustrated.  Looked at the shore excursion listing and the shore excursions have times when we are not even in port.  Personally cancelled one of our excursions because I knew there was no way that RCI could rebook it as it was a long one and not within our port time frame.  Our Victoria whale watching tour has disappeared from listing and there is no indication that it has been rebooked or will be rebooked.  I am not looking forward to standing in a long line at the shore excursion desk to rebook tours just because RCI can't communicate this information up front to us.--- not a way to start off a cruise.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, dingdonggg said:

Quantum should skip Skagway for safety reasons, and go to Icy Straight Point as originally planned on some sailings.

Funny, that is what my husband said.

On another note, just saw a post where the cruise after ours (8/29) is skipping Skagway and will go to Sitka.  Wonder why they get to go there and not us.  Has anyone received any updated correspondence from RCI?  If not, I guess we are still going to Skagway???

1 hour ago, Italy52 said:

On another note, just saw a post where the cruise after ours (8/29) is skipping Skagway and will go to Sitka.  Wonder why they get to go there and not us.  Has anyone received any updated correspondence from RCI?  If not, I guess we are still going to Skagway???

We are on both cruises 8-22 & 8-29. We haven’t heard about Skagway/Sitka change yet for our 8-22, but we have for our 8-29 cruise.

Edited by Tlbecker1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/7/2022 at 5:36 PM, Oceansaway17 said:

My ADV OTS dropped Halifax and I got my OBC refunded but in the last 30 days nothing has opened or shown for Sydney so I guess RCI is trying to create excursions now for this ship that was supposed to go to Halifax.  I do not mind as I have been to Halifax 4 times and Sydney only once.

RCI does not create shore excisions. 100% are contracted to local tour providers. If the local providers can not provide any tours that day, no excursions will be offered on the ship. If there is a bit of time, RCI will do more due diligence and negotiations with the providers. 

2 hours ago, Tlbecker1 said:

We are on both cruises 8-22 & 8-29. We haven’t heard about Skagway/Sitka change yet for our 8-22, but we have for our 8-29 cruise.

The 8/29 cruise was never scheduled for Skagway.  We were always going to Sitka.  The biggest change for the 8/29 cruise is skipping Endicott Arm & Dawes Glacier, and slightly extending our time in Juneau.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

RCI does not create shore excisions. 100% are contracted to local tour providers. If the local providers can not provide any tours that day, no excursions will be offered on the ship. If there is a bit of time, RCI will do more due diligence and negotiations with the providers. 

okay so let me say it this way, RCI hopefully will RESCHEDULE tours to earlier time.  Otherwise, a lot of passengers will have to walk around the port and try and book stuff on their own which IMHO is not such a good idea in case anything happens.

And perhaps RCI does create shore excursions in conjunction with the tour operators.

We do not know what really goes on behind the scenes, but I know a lot of the Juneau port excursions will need to be changed to earlier times.  Almost half if not more won't go if they don't.

22 hours ago, BfloBills said:

The 8/29 cruise was never scheduled for Skagway.  We were always going to Sitka.  The biggest change for the 8/29 cruise is skipping Endicott Arm & Dawes Glacier, and slightly extending our time in Juneau.

Thank you for calling that to my attention.  I was looking at the week before.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/8/2022 at 5:13 PM, Italy52 said:

The 8/29 was originally scheduled for Sitka.  The Quantum sailings alternated with Sitka one week and Skagway *the next when we book the 8/29 and 9/5 sailing over a year ago.  

1 hour ago, DaKahuna said:

The 8/29 was originally scheduled for Sitka.  The Quantum sailings alternated with Sitka one week and Skagway *the next when we book the 8/29 and 9/5 sailing over a year ago.  

That is why we booked the same two cruises but when they dropped Icy Strait Point on the Sept 5 cruise we canceled both cruises, Will try again next year or year after. Enjoy your cruises,

We thought about cancelling but decided that we would just go ahead and make the trip.  We already have waited two years for this cruise, cancelled in 2020 and 2021, and did not want to wait any longer.  Our main attractions for Alaska has always been the snow capped mountains and the wildlife but we are sad that we will be missing the glaciers.