Has MSC dropped their covid insurance requirement?

Stockjock

That's a bit of a bummer for me as on the MSC website, they still have a link to taking their extended Covid insurance and I purchased it.  They should remove this link as this requirement been dropped or is there the commission to be earned by MSC in keeping the link?

5 hours ago, Raddo said:

That's a bit of a bummer for me as on the MSC website, they still have a link to taking their extended Covid insurance and I purchased it.  They should remove this link as this requirement been dropped or is there the commission to be earned by MSC in keeping the link?

There is money to be made by selling and encouraging purchase, even when no longer requiring it.  Also, you are talking about something that is to be executed by MSC IT.

6 hours ago, Raddo said:

I think that MSC's insurer is Generali, which I believe is, not surprisingly, an Italian company.  MSC quoted me $280 to insure an upcoming trip.  I think I can purchase similar coverage from the same insurer elsewhere for quite a bit less.

Edited by Stockjock

I've posted this in another thread I'm sure -  I don't know how much less expensive other providers are for the COVID insurance but what I can tell you is that with the MSC option you will be looked after. Hotels for isolation, repatriation flights, taxis both in the country you are isolating in and when you arrive home. And, @ €25 per person it's not extortionate. Just my own experience. 

18 hours ago, Crabmanstyle said:

I've posted this in another thread I'm sure -  I don't know how much less expensive other providers are for the COVID insurance but what I can tell you is that with the MSC option you will be looked after. Hotels for isolation, repatriation flights, taxis both in the country you are isolating in and when you arrive home. And, @ €25 per person it's not extortionate. Just my own experience. 

I called MSC about that $25 or €25 insurance and they said that they had not heard of it before. Is it possible that it’s a European option only for European travelers? This is in relation to a European cruise I have that is upcoming.  I am in the USA but will be departing out of northern Europe. I would have no problem paying €25, but they are quoting me $280.

2 hours ago, Crabmanstyle said:

I booked through a travel agent (something scanner, you know the one) and it was an additional cost from what I remember. I'll find the company and post to you when I get home (on mobile right now)

I called MSC USA again and they weren't familiar.  They told me to contact MSC UK, but they said they didn't have that.  They said maybe MSC Ireland would, but it was probably country-specific, so I didn't bother beyond that point.

Hi All,

I'm from Australia and are doing two cruises next month - both in Europe.   We just had to sign paperwork and provide details of our Travel Insurance with levels of cover meeting MSC minimum requirements.  For us travel insurance is still required and we have to carry a copy with us for boarding.

Hi 

We are from Gold Coast Australia travelling with MSC in Jan 2023 from Civitivecchia to Sydney. Can you please tell us who your insurance provider is for your cruise insurance?