Upcoming first cruise

jimbo1683

Our first ever cruise is in November. I have a few questions:

- Are Cunard going to send me an email asking me to pay the balance? Nothing recieved yet, I'm 98 days away from sailing (i know I can just log in and pay but didnt want to pay before I actually need to)

- we are going to Rotterdam and Bruges. Will I need an internet package in order to stay online or will normal reception/roaming work (I don't know how far offshore mobile networks can transmit)?

- we are in BC. Is breakfast and lunch served in BC dining on port days as well as sea days?

- what time will we be able to embark?

Thanks

59 minutes ago, jimbo1683 said:

- Are Cunard going to send me an email asking me to pay the balance? Nothing recieved yet, I'm 98 days away from sailing (i know I can just log in and pay but didnt want to pay before I actually need to)

Did you book directly with Cunard or via an Agent?

You may want to check your booking confirmation documents - there may be the assumption that the same card used for the deposit will be charged for the balance. [possibly at 90 days - the USA and UK payment dates may be different]

With my $UNNAMED_TRAVEL_AGENCY I had the option of selecting a different card, but it defaulted to the same one used for the deposit. 

- we are going to Rotterdam and Bruges. Will I need an internet package in order to stay online or will normal reception/roaming work (I don't know how far offshore mobile networks can transmit)?

I would not count on mobile phone service unless in a harbor. 

- we are in BC. Is breakfast and lunch served in BC dining on port days as well as sea days?

Your table will be waiting for you for all meals - even on port days.

- what time will we be able to embark?

Thanks

• Thanks 1

In the US many times Cunard requires final payment 120 days out.  I personally NEVER wait until the last possible moment to make a final payment just in case there is a problem at the last minute, especially if you are going through a travel agent.  You don't want your cruise cancelled because of last minute problems.

In general, cell service isn't reliable from a ship unless you are docked.  If you need internet service while at sea buy a package.

Time of embarkation depends on the specific cruise.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, jimbo1683 said:

I am not sure. You must pay by 90 days out!

When leaving Southampton your phone network will be good until about Portsmouth, then goes to Maritime which is expensive. Check with your provider re use on mainland Continent. You will need to purchase an internet package for connection at sea (which is not generally A1).

- we are in BC. Is breakfast and lunch served in BC dining on port days as well as sea days? Yes

- what time will we be able to embark? This will be on your boarding documents.

Thanks

12 hours ago, jimbo1683 said:

or will normal reception/roaming work (I don't know how far offshore mobile networks can transmit)?

We used to make an annual 'wine' trip from Hull to Zeebrugge. We picked up Belgian cellular services from a couple of miles off coast.

WARNING!!! If you do set a phone to allow roaming, change Network Selection to Manual, otherwise it will automatically connect to the satellite network and it won't take long to incur a substantial data bill.

Better still, switch off the sim cards or use airplane mode unless you are monitoring what it is connecting to.

Didn't have that problem on Pride of Bruges and Pride of York as they had no satellite connection.

Lower your expectations for Wi-Fi . It may not work at all in your cabin. Most other places you can usually connect.  You may have to keep reconnecting as you may get bumped off often. 
I have a deal with my cell provider for $10 a day I get cell in almost any country. I also get a signal often near land. If I use cell I turn Wi-Fi off.