Single passenger 200 percent occupancy fare?

westerdam

I have never sailed with Norwegian (was supposed to in the fall of 2003 on the Norway but the boiler explosion happened) And was trying to see if they ever sell singles for less than the 200 percent occupancy rate.  I know they have some studio cabins on some ships but was looking specifically at the Jewel out of Panama and she doesn't seem to have any.  Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Nathan

• Haha 1

NCL does have less than 200% sometimes and no supplement rarely. It all depends on how well the cruise is selling. Usually if I have seen the supplement come off a cruise it is after final payment. Some times there is a cruise before final payment that isn’t selling well that they will have discounted supplement.

• Like 2

As you're adding filters for cruises you get a "more filters" option.  If you click that one of the extra filters is 'solo cruiser discount'.  The option is greyed out if you have more than one passenger selected (which is also under 'more filters').  Selecting only one passenger also unlocks the option to look at the pricing for Studio cabins (if available on the ship).

• Like 3

It's more or less a marketing/ sales issue.  Nearly all 2022 cruises, through October anyway, had solo rates for awhile. But as capacity started to increase, the reduced supplements have gone away. So most would fall back into reduced supplements just a few weeks/ months prior to sailing. It was nice while it lasted!

Also the database often has a glitch so there might not be a reduced rate, even though it says  there should be one!

There are definitely solo cruise discounts on some NCL cruises but you have to wait till closer to the cruise date...0-3 months out.  This obviously requires the solo cruiser to be flexible with cruise plans and to be able to book flights also on short notice.  Not everyone can do that.  If the OP is looking for solo discounts on cruises in say 2023, they are not likely to find any.

Solo discounts are definitely out there and they appear more frequently the closer to sail date.  As a single retired individual, I check for them frequently to see if anything I'm interested pops up.   I'm considering a British Isles cruise next month on the Dawn that has a base price (inside cabin) for $599/person for 2 people and only $898 for a solo cruiser.  Not a bad price for a 10-day European cruise.  Of course, the challenge is to find a reasonably priced airfare to go along with it.

Of note, the ships that have solo studio cabins often have a better price for a regular inside cabin than for the studio once they start reducing the price for solo travelers.  Don't assume you have to be in a studio cabin.  Not that there's anything wrong with them.  I've stayed in a studio before and it was fine for one person.  But I prefer an inside cabin over a studio.  Sometimes, even the balcony cabins become quite affordable on short-notice purchases.

I paid 150% for solo cabin on upcoming Alaska cruise, but it's last cruise of the season and weather likely less than ideal (but I don't mind).   I booked a little more than 60 days out.

At least you only pay the port fees and gratuities for one person.

Orbitz is good for shopping around if you're considering multiple options, it asks you to reconfirm pricing is for one.  Then you can change it to pricing for two to determine the actual markup.

• Like 1

Thank you everyone for the information! It was most helpful.  I was just trying to get a price more in the range of the very rare I know no single supplement on up to 150 percent or so.  I will most definitely keep an eye on the cruise and wait until it is a bit closer in for it.  I may bite the bullet and pay the 200 percent anyway if it doesn't come down in price as it is such a fantastic itinerary.