Sailing to Bermuda in February.

EllieinNJ

I have asked this question on the Bermuda forum but only got one answer from someone who has never been there at that time. 

There are several cruises out of NY in February that stop in Bermuda.   How do you dress in February?  Do you need just a light jacket or heavier coat?  We are not doing anything water related but would like to go to caves or take a ferry.  Do I even need a balcony if it's too chilly?

23 minutes ago, EllieinNJ said:

I have asked this question on the Bermuda forum but only got one answer from someone who has never been there at that time. 

There are several cruises out of NY in February that stop in Bermuda.   How do you dress in February?  Do you need just a light jacket or heavier coat?  We are not doing anything water related but would like to go to caves or take a ferry.  Do I even need a balcony if it's too chilly?

I have been in Bermuda in January, although not on a cruise.  We played quite a bit of golf so heavy coats were certainly not required.  It was not especially warm, though.  As I recall sweater/light jacket is probably what it was like.

That said, if I was leaving from NY in February I would probably bring a heavy jacket unless I wanted to be shut indoors on the ship the first and last day or two!  

1 hour ago, EllieinNJ said:

From NY in February it is going to be COLD not chilly.  Every place has average temps posted all over the internet, will of course vary year to year but expect weather in the 60's overall.

10 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

you could not give me a free cruise to Bermuda in February.  nope

What's wrong with 60 degree weather in February? Nice break from Northeast winter for me. In fact I'm close to booking a February cruise to Bermuda.

• Like 4

On 8/4/2022 at 11:40 PM, nferr said:

What's wrong with 60 degree weather in February? Nice break from Northeast winter for me. In fact I'm close to booking a February cruise to Bermuda.

one never knows the weather leaving NYC area in advance as well as possible snow.

On 8/4/2022 at 1:38 PM, Oceansaway17 said:

you could not give me a free cruise to Bermuda in February.  nope

Totally agree!  I'm on a TA in Oct/Nov, the last stop on Nov 4 before we head to FLL is Bermuda, I won't even get off the ship.

Just now, LGW59 said:

Totally agree!  I'm on a TA in Oct/Nov, the last stop on Nov 4 before we head to FLL is Bermuda, I won't even get off the ship.

well now Nov stop not dealing with airlines and weather, I would get off if just for a short while.

But starting in cold weather FEB and dealing with planes, nope not in February.

But I think November would be rather pleasant on the way to FLL.

Just now, Oceansaway17 said:

well now Nov stop not dealing with airlines and weather, I would get off if just for a short while.

But starting in cold weather FEB and dealing with planes, nope not in February.

But I think November would be rather pleasant on the way to FLL.

Oh it's not because of the weather it's because I hate Bermuda

2 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Oh it's not because of the weather it's because I hate Bermuda

aw gotch and I can sort of understand too given their $40 fee and also how crowded the island has become over the years.   I do love their beaches but not the town of Hamilton.

I have cruised to Bermuda over 20 times on a cruise - too lazy to stand up and check my travel diaries….

After the Drake Passage to Antarctica on a 4500 grt ship, the crossing from nyc to Bermuda in September remains THE roughest sailing I’ve ever been on.

You may be lucky but remember - this is still the North Atlantic!

Bermuda will be temperate but getting there and back?

Big “No”.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Cocktail said:

I have cruised to Bermuda over 20 times on a cruise - too lazy to stand up and check my travel diaries….

After the Drake Passage to Antarctica on a 4500 grt ship, the crossing from nyc to Bermuda in September remains THE roughest sailing I’ve ever been on.

You may be lucky but remember - this is still the North Atlantic!

Bermuda will be temperate but getting there and back?

Big “No”.

It’s crapshoot. We have beautiful days thru the winter. 

Also … we had the rounding of Cape Horn Dec 2009 and it was calm - all the way to Falklands. 

15 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

But you still need to pay the $40 to BTA anyway. 

Enlighten us why you hate Bermuda, s’il vous plait. 

Indeed I do and I of course will, have no choice.

I find it very boring, lacking culture, food is below even meh, Front St is a total waste of money and a tourist trap, much much better beaches on almosy every other island, the aquarium is no different than the aquarium where I live, no wait, it is not anything even remotely close to it.  The unfinshed church is ok, there are far better lighthouses in Maine which are practically in my backyard.  Obviously JMO but I will enjoy a very quiet ship on the day we port there.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

aw gotch and I can sort of understand too given their $40 fee and also how crowded the island has become over the years.   I do love their beaches but not the town of Hamilton.

Please enlighten us what’s wrong with the City of Hamilton?

Crowded …. Not just Bermuda but everywhere on the world. Why? Population uprising. As the population grows, so do the number of buildings, houses, vehicles, pollution, etc, the list is endless. That population growth causes loss of open spaces. 

We have been at 65K population for some years, and did you notice that the Government do not allow high rise buildings or huge billboards/signs, and haven’t increased the speed limits in decades?

2 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Indeed I do and I of course will, have no choice.

I find it very boring, lacking culture, food is below even meh, Front St is a total waste of money and a tourist trap, much much better beaches on almosy every other island, the aquarium is no different than the aquarium where I live, no wait, it is not anything even remotely close to it.  The unfinshed church is ok, there are far better lighthouses in Maine which are practically in my backyard.  Obviously JMO but I will enjoy a very quiet ship on the day we port there.

Jeez! 🙄

6 hours ago, bluesea777 said:

It’s crapshoot. We have beautiful days thru the winter. 

Also … we had the rounding of Cape Horn Dec 2009 and it was calm - all the way to Falklands. 

It's actually not a crap shoot .... I'm talking about the voyage, not the weather  when you get there. Going on a transatlantic in February is just cray-cray.

Rounding Cape Horn is NOT passing through the Drake Passage. Completely different.

But ... why am I  being dragged into a meaningless internet fight when the op can't be bothered to respond is ....typical...

bluesea77: I'll split the difference with you - Bermuda is one of my most favourite places in the world. The colours, the smells, the people - just great.

But ... you don't want to visit Toronto in February and I don't want to visit Hamilton either!!!

On 8/4/2022 at 12:09 PM, EllieinNJ said:

To answer your question, I've been on that itinerary on the NCL Breakaway in March from NYC pre-Covid. Yes, you should be bringing a heavy jacket for 2 main reasons: 1. Your port of departure will be cold up until March. 2. You will have 2 Sea days that you might want to take a trip up to the buffet or do a walk around. As to Bermuda itself, the temperature isn't that bad in March, mild for New Englanders like myself between 60-70 Fahrenheit, I would recommend a light jacket but I actually didn't need one. Long pants like Khaki's, Chino's, or Jeans will be fine with a simple short sleeve shirt. If you find those temperatures too cool due to the climate you are coming from, I'd recommend adding a cardigan sweater to your luggage and day bag, they come in handy.

As to the weather, you're not in hurricane season, but rain is possible. February, like March, should be a calm month for winds, so a light umbrella should be enough to handle small rain squalls.

• Thanks 1

Thanks to those who have answered my question.  I don't really want to go to Bermuda in February but want to use up the two CNs plus FCCs I have and don't want to fly.  NCL has a really cheap 5 day Bermuda cruise I was thinking about plus there is a Bermuda stop on their Bahama cruises too .  Just wanted some info.

23 hours ago, bluesea777 said:

Please enlighten us what’s wrong with the City of Hamilton?

Crowded …. Not just Bermuda but everywhere on the world. Why? Population uprising. As the population grows, so do the number of buildings, houses, vehicles, pollution, etc, the list is endless. That population growth causes loss of open spaces. 
We have been at 65K population for some years, and did you notice that the Government do not allow high rise buildings or huge billboards/signs, and haven’t increased the speed limits in decades?

sorry it just did not seem like the nice place I visited back in the 90's

did not mean to insult you but bummer to bummer cars from the Naval port all they way over to Hamilton was not that enjoyable.   St Georges is my kinda of place and a few beaches.

28 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

sorry it just did not seem like the nice place I visited back in the 90's

did not mean to insult you but bummer to bummer cars from the Naval port all they way over to Hamilton was not that enjoyable.   St Georges is my kinda of place and a few beaches.

Ferry is the way to go from the port over to Hamilton. NCL even runs their own.

We also are on the NCL round trip NY to Bahamas that stops in Bermuda making it 8 days instead of 7 ( last time we did this cruise). It is winter school break and the kids would have been happier with another day in the Bahamas rather than Bermuda. I have been there in earl April ( cool with some beach days) and July ( 110 degrees and stifling). Hoping the kids club is open and there won’t be any reason the leave the ship. Not happy about the $40 each for the five of us